•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Difference between XLT and non XLT coatings....

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 scopefreak

scopefreak

Viking 1

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 29 August 2005 - 10:37 PM

Hi all,

I have an oportunity to purchase an 8" Celestron SCT OTA with and without XLT coatings. The XLT coated scope is $250.00 more. Is it worth that much more $$$ for a 13% increase in light transmission and contrast?

Thanks in advance,

Kevin aka scopefreak

#2 JerryWise

JerryWise

Cosmos

Posted 29 August 2005 - 10:43 PM

It's worth it in resale. The premium coatings bring more. I can see a real difference in the Celestron 9.25.

#3 scopefreak

scopefreak

Viking 1

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 29 August 2005 - 10:54 PM

It's worth it in resale. The premium coatings bring more. I can see a real difference in the Celestron 9.25.

This may sound strange, but I really do not plan on selling it. I still have my very first scope from 1968(60mm Taco on EQ mount with built in finder). I still use this scope for the planets and my daughter loves it's original RED paint job ;) :D

Kevin

#4 JerryWise

JerryWise

Cosmos

Posted 29 August 2005 - 11:00 PM

Wow Kevin, that is holding on to a scope.

When observing I like to feel I have the best performing optics I can get for a given scope. The pleasure of a little better view is well worth the money to me (in addition to resale). I wouldn't turn down a good deal on non-XLT OTA but would go for the XLT if the price difference were in the range you mention.

#5 scopefreak

scopefreak

Viking 1

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 29 August 2005 - 11:08 PM

Wow Kevin, that is holding on to a scope.

When observing I like to feel I have the best performing optics I can get for a given scope. The pleasure of a little better view is well worth the money to me (in addition to resale). I wouldn't turn down a good deal on non-XLT OTA but would go for the XLT if the price difference were in the range you mention.

I agree, however, I opened my wallet the other day and 3 moths flew out :bawling: so I need to be cost conscious (and wife aware as well :p)

Kevin

#6 Syzygy

Syzygy

Surveyor 1

Posted 01 September 2005 - 04:31 PM

Kevin,

I ponied up for the XLT coatings when I bought my NS11. I've listened to and read alot of traffic over the XLT coatings and what I get from it as that it doesn't make a noticeable difference in visual observing. It does appear to pay off in imaging. As of right now, I'm a strictly visual observer, so I can't refute or back up the claims on the imaging side.

#7 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Vendor (Woodland Hills)

• Vendors

Posted 01 September 2005 - 06:57 PM

Kevin,

I ponied up for the XLT coatings when I bought my NS11. I've listened to and read alot of traffic over the XLT coatings and what I get from it as that it doesn't make a noticeable difference in visual observing. It does appear to pay off in imaging. As of right now, I'm a strictly visual observer, so I can't refute or back up the claims on the imaging side.

Wow, sorry to hear that. The XLT's make a noticible difference visually.

#8 wilash

wilash

Fairy Godmother

Posted 01 September 2005 - 07:21 PM

Every purchase is a compromise. You have a large number of scopes now including an 8" newt. What do you think the SCT will give you the other scopes can't?

The other thing to think about is that your Newt isn't coated. Is that a problem?

#9 wilash

wilash

Fairy Godmother

Posted 01 September 2005 - 07:22 PM

John, welcome back.

#10 Syzygy

Syzygy

Surveyor 1

Posted 01 September 2005 - 07:50 PM

Daniel Mounsey,

I have but one scope with the XLT coatings and no others to compare it to. Rest assured that I like the views that I get, but I don't have any experience with a non XLT NS11 to say yay or naye about the coatings. I was just passing on what I have researched, not trying to qualify an opinion.

wilash,

Thanks! It's good to be back!

#11 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Vendor (Woodland Hills)

• Vendors

Posted 01 September 2005 - 09:20 PM

No problem John, I understand.:) If you do get to compare them then share your thoughts.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics