•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

10" RCX-400

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
97 replies to this topic

#51 Joel

Joel

Gemini

Posted 10 October 2005 - 03:31 PM

I have heard Meade will throw away non-stock stuff. I have heard this specifically about Buck's gears although I can't speak from personal experience (and I hope I never have to). I have the Sky Assurance on mine which I picked up used. And btw, changing your name over on the SA is a pita, I gave up trying to merely get a copy of the paperwork, I know my contract number though. Anyway, I would hate to have to remove the Buck's gears and new clutch from mine to send it off for warranty work and if I sent it in with the mods, does that void my warranty?

I really hope this one doesn't break!

#52 Joad

Joad

Wordsmith

Posted 10 October 2005 - 05:55 PM

I bet youse guys are not going to believe this but when mine gets back I'm going to try something. It's going to be opened up and the control box will be inspected. If there is any way to move the card in the control box out then we shall see if this thing will shed it's forks and mount up to the CGE. And if it gives me any Lleege-al trouble, I already have a FeatherTouch adapter for it. Yes, I'll loose the collimation and other nice touches but the OTA is the Gem. And we can say good buy to the warranty I know. But then if you are very careful. I left my Peterson handles on the RCX when I sent it to Meade. I want to see if they notice.

Mr Wise:

Is this wise? :p

#53 JAT Observatory

JAT Observatory

NOT a Wimp

Posted 10 October 2005 - 06:04 PM

I have read reports of scopes going back to Meade with mods (Bucks gears) and they have come back with the mods still in place.

#54 JerryWise

JerryWise

Cosmos

Posted 10 October 2005 - 10:12 PM

Joad....nope, not wise. But it would be soooo neat.

On the OEM handles, I was hoping Meade would get a good look at how handles are supposed to be and patent something that looked like the Peterson handles then they could go after Pete..... aw, nevermind.

#55 LLEEGE

LLEEGE

True Blue

• topic starter

Posted 11 October 2005 - 07:37 AM

The tech's pull them off to put on their own scopes! :roflmao:

#56 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 20 October 2005 - 01:03 AM

Hello everybody,
My name is Gianluca and I have a big passion for astronomy and astrophisic.
I read the RCX reports by Jonh Crilly
The RCX has a beautiful esthetich, i love it!

Gianluca

#57 JerryWise

JerryWise

Cosmos

Posted 20 October 2005 - 06:34 AM

Hello Gianluca. Welcome to CN. Many share your passion and you will find many very friendly and well informed people here.

#58 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 20 October 2005 - 09:25 AM

Thank you Jerry :)
I' m very happy

The RCX meade is good telescope? I intend buy this telescope in future (next future) for imaging and research.

Excuse me for english error. :bow: I'm a student :grin:

Gianluca

#59 LLEEGE

LLEEGE

True Blue

• topic starter

Posted 28 October 2005 - 09:36 PM

I HATE UPS!!!!!!!!
Thursady, box 1 is in Buffalo, and box 2 is is Syracuse.
(Both scheduled for Friday delivery)
Well the tripod shows up at 3:30.
No Scope! UPS Tracking says, :Rescheduled for 10/31".!
I HATE UPS!

#60 Steph

Steph

Texas Wildflower

Posted 29 October 2005 - 09:52 AM

Ohhhh, that bites. :( Sorry, Luke!! Guess that means your weather is perfectly clear this weekend, right?

Hey, is that you posting the 24mm on Astromart this morning? If it's the one that came with the scope, you might want to edit the listing to clarify that it's a UWA eyepiece...just a thought!

Steph

#61 LLEEGE

LLEEGE

True Blue

• topic starter

Posted 29 October 2005 - 10:43 AM

The forcast looks pretty darn good. I guess it will be an LX90 night.

#62 LLEEGE

LLEEGE

True Blue

• topic starter

Posted 31 October 2005 - 07:30 PM

It's here. So far, so good. Exept.... there apears to be a small bug on the INSIDE of the corrector plate! :question:Should I remove it myself? Send it back? Ignore it? :question: :foreheadslap:

#63 Gama

Gama

Vendor (Gama Electronics)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 02 November 2005 - 01:31 AM

I wouldnt worry about it. It will soon have a few more in the comming months. I would just get some usage out of it first, and if it bothers you later in the track, then send it back.
But by then there should be a easy way for it to be removed.

#64 LLEEGE

LLEEGE

True Blue

• topic starter

Posted 02 November 2005 - 08:52 AM

I tapped it with a hammer and it is gone!
Just kidding. I made a probe out of a piece of paper and removed it. I think it was a piece of the excellent packaging material they use now.

#65 NewScopeNowBroke

NewScopeNowBroke

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 02 November 2005 - 11:52 AM

So LLEEGE, are you liking it?

If the skies ever clear on nights I'm not working late, I'll be able to actually use this thing.

#66 LLEEGE

LLEEGE

True Blue

• topic starter

Posted 03 November 2005 - 11:09 PM

The jury is still out. I don't want to jinx myself.

#67 LLEEGE

LLEEGE

True Blue

• topic starter

Posted 27 November 2005 - 10:15 AM

Well, it broke again. NEVER AGAIN WILL I BUY ANYTHING FROM MEADE. :flame: :flame: :vomit:

#68 Gama

Gama

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 28 November 2005 - 09:09 AM

Well, it broke again. NEVER AGAIN WILL I BUY ANYTHING FROM MEADE. :flame: :flame: :vomit:

I couldnt help but chuckle a little..
BUT, that really sucks !.
My 14" RCX has just arrived in Australia, and i was informed it will be in my hands in 7 days.
Its going to be tested in the store for focus and mechanical movement before i pay the balance.
But trusting all our luck, it wont fail until i go to use it !.
Should have stuck to a 14" LX200 GPS !!!

#69 JerryWise

JerryWise

Cosmos

Posted 28 November 2005 - 09:13 AM

Gama, I hope your luck is better. Seems the folks with the 14" RCX units are doing fine. I can't think of anyone returning one yet. The 10" RCXs are.... a bit shaky.

I don't know what to say about Luke's latest development. Notice the silence here.

#70 Gama

Gama

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 28 November 2005 - 09:36 AM

I did hear something along that line too (14" reliability). But i also heard Big foot exists !!!!!!!!!!. With Luke, well, HMMM, silence !.
BUT, i do know of dealers telling me to stay clear of some Meade products except for the 14" LX200 GPS.
It has a much better design gearing and controll setup (Used on the RCX bases im told now), and had better optics than the 16". So maybe look at the 14" LX200GPS.
At least read about it from other owners reviews..
Meade should not test these scopes in QC anymore..
They should be testing the people working in QC.

#71 JerryWise

JerryWise

Cosmos

Posted 28 November 2005 - 09:47 AM

The two biggest mistakes I made this year in the hobby are:

1. Selling my 14" LX200 that was 11 months old in March. Both major problems I had with it stayed in the observatory when it left. First, stablity. It was the pier system unable to support the long FL. Second, image sharpness. This was my not being at a level to fine tune collimation which has since changed some.

2. Selling my 6 month old Takahashi FS102-II. The gentleman I sold it to just sent me one of the best galactic images I have ever seen taken through it. I didn't give it enough time while concentrating on the RCX.

How does the saying go? Something about a "fool and their gold". :bawling:

#72 Gama

Gama

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 28 November 2005 - 09:54 AM

With any mount i ever had, i filled any space with Cement Mix Sand. This totally gets rid of most vibrations and also adds weight to the mount and thus is able to absorb more shakes and wobbles dead quick.
Try it.

#73 Festus

Festus

Mariner 2

Posted 28 November 2005 - 10:02 AM

I know many of the early 14" RCXs had issues. Not focus issues but electronic and mount problems. I had two different scopes returned for servicing. Scope number 3 never arrived and then I went for a refund. I understand that there has been a delay on the 14" model now as several others are waiting for their replacements that have yet to ship....

#74 Joad

Joad

Wordsmith

Posted 28 November 2005 - 10:21 AM

Now LLEEGE, you see that I really did have your best interests in mind when, months ago, you offered to trade your vintage Martin guitar for a 10" LX200 and I offered you my Hubble-quality LX10 just to take that battered old shoebox with strings off your hands out of sheer charity. And now look at us. I am still Martin-less and you are about to become Meade-less. :bawling:

But I've still got that LX10, you know; do you still have that Martin? Yes, tragic misfortune can still be reversed. :winky:

#75 Gama

Gama

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 28 November 2005 - 10:22 AM

Correct, they did stop shipping the 14" RCX, but have started re-shipping as of 3 weeks ago.
I had ordered my 14" in mid August, and its finally shipped out.
But im told probs were actually software from the dealer.
AHHHHH, its running Windows !!.
Thats why they keep crashing !

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics