•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

PiAstroHub: RaspberryPi for Autoguiding+DSLR+GOTO

• Please log in to reply
777 replies to this topic

#626 anat

anat

iAstroHub 3

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 30 September 2015 - 09:49 PM

Jeff,

Sorry for my late response. The value from the calculation is not particularly related to the gain values. The gain is actually the Proportional gain (in the PID feedback control algorithm). It is the trail and error process to get the best values. 

Anat

#627 michael4

michael4

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 18 November 2015 - 08:29 PM

Hi Anat,

Could I please pay you to create the iAstroHub device for me? I would be more than happy to. I could either mail you the Android Mini PC and micro SD card, and pay you to install the software; or you could purchase the hardware and I could pay you for both the hardware and software install.

Btw, I think you could create a great business around selling these devices to people.

Thank you very much,

Michael

#628 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 26 November 2015 - 01:42 PM

Anat,

It would be fantastic if it could support Raspberry Pi ZERO

http://www.cloudynig...n/#entry6911861

What do you think?

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#629 caledhwa

caledhwa

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 04 December 2015 - 02:26 PM

Hey everybody,

Exciting work!  Has anybody had any luck getting the Raspberry Pi camera module recognized by lin_guider?  I feel like I'm very close indeed, but it fails with an error: "/dev/video0 does not support streaming i/o".  I've followed the instructions to install UV4L which should enable this to work, and it definitely recognizes the camera and turns it on for a second as lin_guider boots up, but eventually fails to pull a video stream.

Attached is a screenshot of the error messages I'm getting.  Thanks in advance!

-Charlie

Screenshot%202014-11-19%2011.09.23.png

Charlie,

Welcome to Cloudy Nights!

re: Rasp Pi camera

There is a suitability problem and you can find the old post somewhere in CN forums.

However, this was not the topic you were asking so back to your original question...

Let's first understand how Rasp Pi is setting up its camera:

It is done through a unusual arrangement: feed in the camera high speed bus (streaming) thru MIPI to GPU's I/O into frame buffer.

This is necessary on many low end CPU (not enough CPU horsepower nor fast/wide enough I/O bus.)  Not only it happens on Rasp Pi

but also on MK808 CX919, etc. (RK2066 and RK3188 based.) 

Same story, direct digital video feed (note I am not talking about thru USB bus to feed the image data) is possible, but has to go thru its GPU into frame buffer.  <-- BTW this path is not available for most Android TV sticks.  Only limited Android tablets have such feature, mainly Car-use GPS w/ Backup camera. 

Note in all of the above cases, the ARM CPU and and main memory does not have direct access to the video data/image.  It is handled by the GPU thru closed-sourced low-level firmware code (from the GPU vendor)  and the data is in the frame buffer, not in regular system memory.

So the dilemma comes: how to make such image data available for CPU (on the Linux side) to touch it/process it?

It is at the mercy of the GPU vendor to decide (what type of the image processing is done by the GPU, how to move data from one side to the other, etc.)

This is part of the dark secret.

You may have found out Rasp Pi side started to have V4L support.  

But please note that the support is limited and, really, when CPU really has the opportunity to process such streaming image data, it is slowed done significantly (say, 100% loaded and very low frame rate.)

It should have somehow hinted that the design to have the GPU to handle the image data really has reasons.

(But if you want to use GPU to do some work, you'll find that pat of powerful image processing is not exposed to you.)

I hope this clarify the challenges and the real engineering background behind teh architectural decision.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

Folks, 

In regards to the "streaming i/o" problem with using the Raspberry Pi Camera Module as a web cam for use with Lin_Guider, I've found a solution and got it working on Jessie.

1) Installed UV4L

2) Installed V4L2 (for debugging purposes & to interact with)

3) Installed LIN_GUIDER

4) started the Raspberry Pi camera with UV4L with --extension-presence=1 (this turns on streaming - and yes it works)

Finally, I had to HACK the LIN_GUIDER software. It checks to see if it can set exposure_auto = 1. However the raspicam UV4L driver does not include this parameter. There's a different parameter to check this - I simply removed the check in the code. You can find my version at https://github.com/caledhwa/lin_guider - same install instructions (based on 3.2.0). So, the change is in src/video_dev/video_uvc.cpp - I also changed the format to force it to use MJPEG instead of YUYV. 

The final piece that's important is to export the UV4L library preload:

export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/uv4l/uv4lext/armv6l/libuv4lext.so

Once I did all of these things, the camera showed up in lin_guider just fine! UV4L sets up the video device as /dev/video0. 

Works fantastically, then after I got the libnexstar compiled and installed and recognized by this command:

sudo /sbin/ldconfig -v

I was able to control my Nexstar 5i by lin_guider. 

Now, I just have to have clear skies to test it out. I also need to figure out an easy way to mount the camera to my 6x30 LER Finder. 

Anyhow, since I hadn't heard that anyone had a solution to this, I thought it would be interesting to post that I got it working.

Thanks!

Cale

#630 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 04 December 2015 - 05:23 PM

Cale,

Glad that man uv4l-raspicam in Raspian Jessie release.

The videocamera module is thru CSI to GPU and being seen by CPU.

Then a video frame can be captured as JPEG.

However, this raised two questions (which I had the same concerns on UVC video, another story by it own):

- Can V4L (or UVC) interface support direct image snapshot interface, as opposed to continuous video streaming? (My study answer is no, not yet)

- Can the camera parameters be tweaked to support long exposure other than 30 frame/sec (max exp time 1/30 sec and can be even shorter)?

Bottom line is the guidecam need to "see" a (dim) star to become useful.  Video rate camera if not be adjusted, will not be the best fit for such use case.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello 

#631 maxl20

maxl20

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 January 2016 - 01:43 PM

Hi, 

Can someone please provide a uptodate RPi2 image for download?

THX in advance. 

Bye

Maxl20

Edited by maxl20, 11 January 2016 - 01:44 PM.

#632 anat

anat

iAstroHub 3

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 20 January 2016 - 04:06 AM

It is on the post No. 546

http://www.cloudynig...goto/?p=6457105

Anat

#633 craigg

craigg

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 06 February 2016 - 05:27 AM

Hi Anat,

I have been trying out the plate solving feature.  It really works well, I have it solving perfectly, so thanks for all your work as always!  However, I'm having a couple of problems with sync'ing with Sky Safari.

Here's what I typically do:

1. Polar Align the mount (HEQ5 Pro).  3-Star Alignment with the Synscan.  Confirm Goto via SynScan works reasonably accurately.

2. Connect DSLR (EOS 600D) to focusser, and focus using Bahtinov mask/Live View

3. Connect DSLR via USB to the MK808BIII.  Camera is in M/Bulb mode, RAW+JPEG, etc.

4. Connect MK808BIII via USB/Serial adapter to the SynScan handset and power-up iAstroHub.

5. Connect to iAstrohub wifi from laptop (Macbook), and access the iAstroHub page (10.0.0.1)

6. Connect to the SynScan via Sky Safari on the laptop and try some goto moves to confirm all is working.

7. I initiate some 30sec images from the DSLR via iAstroHub and wait for them to download.

8. Initiate plate solving in iAstroHub, wait for result, then download the sky safari file.

9. Open the downloaded file in SkySafari, then application restarts.  Once restarted I get the plate solved rectangle in the correct location and orientation.

All working perfectly so far...

This is where things start to go wrong for me, probably because I'm doing something wrong.

After SS restarts and I have my plate solved position, I have to reconnect to the scope.  However, every time I connect the plate solved rectangle moves to where it thinks the scope is pointing, which kind of defeats the point of it, right?  In addition, it seems to mess up SkySafari's location accuracy for goto.  If I then tell SS to goto a nearby object it seems to send the scope off in a completely different position.  This is not a meridian flip, it will often end up point to a completely different part of the sky.  I have to restart SS and reconnect for it to get itself back in sync with the SynScan.

So, once the plate solved rectangle is loaded into SkySafari, how do you go about aligning it with the plate solved location?  Any pointers gratefully received, and thanks as always for your hard work, Anat.  Great system.

Regards,

Craig

#634 anat

anat

iAstroHub 3

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 07 February 2016 - 11:11 PM

Craig

To show the plate solved frame on SkySafari and sync the coordinate to your mount, the steps are as follows:

1) Perform plate solving

2) Download the skyset file to your web browser on the tablet

3) Open the skyset file with Skysafari

4) The program will ask if you want to apply the setting now now. Click "NO"

5) Connect your mount with Skysafari

6) Then go to Setup and open the skyset file. Apply the setting

7) Now the center of the chart is the actual position of the mount. 

8) On the top status bar, you will see "Target:....". Swipe from Right to Left on the word "Target". It will change to "Chart Center". 

9) Click "Align"  The program will ask if you want to align to Chart Center

10) Click yes.

The feature to align to Chart Center is not documented. I requested the developers of SKysafari and they kindly added it from Version 4. But I have just tested Skysafari 4 on Android. It has a bug that does not sync to Chart Center. It works fine on IOS. I will report the bug to the developers.

Best regards,

Anat

#635 euklides69

euklides69

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Chicago, IL

Posted 07 March 2016 - 08:23 AM

When can we expect first image for RPi3 ?

#636 anat

anat

iAstroHub 3

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 07 March 2016 - 08:47 AM

I am uploading the image :) It will take a few hours. Consider it as iAstroHub 2.2 with Pushover notification. If RPi3 is connected to the internet, you can get notifications when a guiding error exceeds a tolerance or an imaging sequence is completed. 

I plan to release iAstroHub 3.0 in a month.  It will support QSI cameras and some new QHY CCD cameras (Q90A, minicam5S. minicam5F). The SBIG camera (STF8300c) was successfully tested for 100 hrs+ .More mount control protocols and latest Linguider (thanks to ecloud). Voice notifications. 

Since RPi3 has a very stable wifi connection and its speed is quite comparable to RK3188, it will become the main platform for iAstroHub 3.0. 

Anat

Edited by anat, 07 March 2016 - 08:54 AM.

• mclewis1 and R Botero like this

#637 Daniel Oliva

Daniel Oliva

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 March 2016 - 12:00 PM

Great news Anat.
Will the 2.2 version come with an updated Linguider? I probably will try it with my RPi2 (I dont have a RPi3 yet), but I use an ASI120, so I needed to update the Linguider from the original RPi2 image and install the drivers. This caused a loss of some functionalities. It would be great to use all resources of iAstroHub. Probably the only thing I will need to do is to configure my wifi dongle.

Edited by Daniel Oliva, 07 March 2016 - 01:22 PM.

#638 caledhwa

caledhwa

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 March 2016 - 12:41 PM

By the way, if you look above, I have a version of Linguider in my github that works with the PiCamera. I really haven't tried it out with my scope, but I got it to work on the Pi with the camera correctly. As stated above, we don't think the camera is sensitive enough for a dim star, but who knows... might be worth a try.

https://github.com/caledhwa/lin_guider

https://github.com/c...i-camera-module

#639 anat

anat

iAstroHub 3

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 07 March 2016 - 06:00 PM

This is the link to download  iAstroHub 2.2 for RPi3 !

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

Please do let me know the hardware you tested. For wifi connection, use...

SSID = iAstroHub
Password = 1234512345123

I also attach the steps to built iAstroHub on RPi3.

LG is still version 2.10. If you need LG V3 which supports ASI cameras. Please send me a message. I will send the modified code and binary to you. Please let me know how it works.   

Best regards,

Anat

Attached Files

Edited by anat, 07 March 2016 - 06:03 PM.

#640 silentg

silentg

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 07 March 2016 - 09:17 PM

Of course I just bought a RPi2....

I've gotten all of this working now. Just a few showstoppers:

Is there a way to control Nikon DSLRs from PiAstroHub? Also, is it possible to run programs such as INDI/EKOS to control the mount and do more complicated tasks such as mosaics automatically? And could we get an optional console output to aid in device troubleshooting?

Thank you for your work.

-Silentg

#641 anat

anat

iAstroHub 3

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 07 March 2016 - 09:36 PM

Do you use the image for RPi3 above? 

In the admin page, you can select the Nikon protocol. But it will work with new Nikon cameras only. I tested with D750. Otherwise, you can use qDslrDashboard to control any Nikon cameras since D90. But you need to have a live connection. 

> could we get an optional console output to aid in device troubleshooting?

What do you mean by this? 

> is it possible to run programs such as INDI/EKOS?

EKOS is built on Kstars which consumes a lot of resources. INDI itself is light. I am going to support INDI camera drivers using GoQat in the next release. 

Skychart now supports lx200 and the SkyX protocols. Ecloud added supports on iOptron CEM and Nexstar (celestron, skywatcher, orion). It will be available in the next release.

Best regards,

Anat

Of course I just bought a RPi2....

I've gotten all of this working now. Just a few showstoppers:

Is there a way to control Nikon DSLRs from PiAstroHub? Also, is it possible to run programs such as INDI/EKOS to control the mount and do more complicated tasks such as mosaics automatically? And could we get an optional console output to aid in device troubleshooting?

Thank you for your work.

-Silentg

#642 silentg

silentg

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 07 March 2016 - 11:48 PM

I used the last image you put up for the RPi2 last night as you hadn't posted the new one when I looked.\

In the admin page, you can select the Nikon protocol. But it will work with new Nikon cameras only. I tested with D750. Otherwise, you can use qDslrDashboard to control any Nikon cameras since D90. But you need to have a live connection.

What does this mean? I don't see any option for Nikon cameras in the admin section.. I have a D800 and D7000 (and a Coolpix A). Are these new enough? And what do you mean by a live connection for qDslrDashboard? If you mean usb, I've been doing that with a portable wifi hotspot running linux.

> could we get an optional console output to aid in device troubleshooting?

What I meant by this was that it would be nice to see when a camera or mount was recognized by the RPi. For example, my iOptron Smarteq mount is currently not working with the mount and I'm not sure why.

EKOS is built on Kstars which consumes a lot of resources. INDI itself is light. I am going to support INDI camera drivers using GoQat in the next release.

Skychart now supports lx200 and the SkyX protocols. Ecloud added supports on iOptron CEM and Nexstar (celestron, skywatcher, orion). It will be available in the next release.

Even so, being able to use EKOS would be a good option for those of us that are interested. I'm curious to see if this release fixes my issues with my mount.

Thanks for the response.

#643 anat

anat

iAstroHub 3

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 08 March 2016 - 12:04 AM

I mean this image

http://www.cloudynig...goto/?p=7092934

Nikon uses the same protocol as Canon 1000D. I think I put the word "Nikon" there. Sorry if it is missing, I handled too many revisions in various devices   :)

Your D800 will work. I am not sure about D7000.

> And what do you mean by a live connection for qDslrDashboard? If you mean usb, I've been doing that with a portable wifi hotspot running linux.

Your RPi2 will work as your wifi hotspot to relay usb streams from your Nikon camera to qDSLRdashboard on your tablet.  Set the IP address to 10.0.0.1 in qDD.  My "live connection" means you have to maintain the wifi connection while imaging. The concept of iAstroHub is that you use the webbrowser to issue commands for guiding and imaging and then you can put your tablet or smartphone to the sleep mode. If anything goes wrong, you get notifications. 

> What I meant by this was that it would be nice to see when a camera or mount was recognized by the RPi. For example, my iOptron Smarteq mount is currently not working with the mount and I'm not sure why.

You can click on "System Info" There is a list of usb devices connected to it.   I did a test on smarteq pro last few weeks. It works well. You have to select the LX200 protocol for sync. For Skysafari, use IP 10.0.0.1 and port 3300 as mentioned in the instruction.  Otherwise, you can login using ssh or connect the keyboard and monitor to RPi. Use the command lsusb or dmesg to start diagnosis. 

> Even so, being able to use EKOS would be a good option for those of us that are interested. I'm curious to see if this release fixes my issues with my mount.

RPi has so limited resources. I use Jessie lite which contains no GUI in order to free up memory and reduce power consumption. You need to install KDE on top of it.  

Anat

Edited by anat, 08 March 2016 - 12:09 AM.

• silentg likes this

#644 silentg

silentg

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 08 March 2016 - 01:53 AM

I mean this image
http://www.cloudynig...goto/?p=7092934

Yeah, what I meant was I set everything up about 5 hours before you posted that, so I'll need to upgrade.

Your D800 will work. I am not sure about D7000.

No worries. It works fine on my D800, even after device sleep, which is all I wanted. Thank you for this feature, I'll be using it a lot even if nothing else works out.

RPi has so limited resources. I use Jessie lite which contains no GUI in order to free up memory and reduce power consumption. You need to install KDE on top of it.

I'm pretty stubborn.. I'll probably install some sort of desktop environment and try it out. 

How do you have access to so many mounts and cameras???  :grin:

#645 calli

calli

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Berlin, Germany

Posted 08 March 2016 - 06:36 AM

Yes INDI running would be nice. One could then connect from a laptop running Kstars/EKOS to the Raspi and control the mount and whatever (Focusser etc,) from there over the network.

I also looked into INDI/Ekos recently but the none of the distributions was able to get a stable connection to my Nikon D5100. Ekos uses gphoto2 and I got frequent crashes, capture&solve "reliably" crashed. LivePreview from the driver works ony ONE time the never again in that session.

If PiAstroHub also uses gphoto2 I fear that Nikon will also not work here :-/

Carsten

#646 anat

anat

iAstroHub 3

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 08 March 2016 - 07:27 AM

> No worries. It works fine on my D800, even after device sleep, which is all I wanted. Thank you for this feature, I'll be using it a lot even if nothing else works out.

Do you use the web interface to control D800 or qDslrDashboard? 

Anat

#647 anat

anat

iAstroHub 3

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 08 March 2016 - 07:37 AM

Yes INDI running would be nice. One could then connect from a laptop running Kstars/EKOS to the Raspi and control the mount and whatever (Focusser etc,) from there over the network.

I also looked into INDI/Ekos recently but the none of the distributions was able to get a stable connection to my Nikon D5100. Ekos uses gphoto2 and I got frequent crashes, capture&solve "reliably" crashed. LivePreview from the driver works ony ONE time the never again in that session.

Carsten

Carsten

INDI adds layers of codes on top of gphoto2. It is better to try gphoto2 directly. Put your camera in the bulb mode and manual focus. Try these commands:

sudo gphoto2 --set-config bulb=1 --wait-event=40s --set-config bulb=0 --wait-event=2s

and

gphoto2 -L

The first command will take an image with an exposure time of 40s. The second command will list images in the camera. If the two commands work, iAstroHub will work with D5100. The output log may look like this. Ignore "Error" which is not fatal.  Let me know the result.

root@iAstroHub:~# sudo gphoto2 --set-config bulb=1 --wait-event=40s --set-config bulb=0 --wait-event=2s
Waiting for 40 seconds for events from camera. Press Ctrl-C to abort.
UNKNOWN PTP Property d1a6 changed
UNKNOWN PTP Property 500e changed
UNKNOWN PTP Property 5013 changed
UNKNOWN PTP Property d1a4 changed
UNKNOWN PTP Property d1b4 changed
UNKNOWN PTP Property d1f1 changed
*** Error ***
Failed to set new configuration value 0 for configuration entry bulb.
Waiting for 2 seconds for events from camera. Press Ctrl-C to abort.
FILEADDED DSC_2672.JPG /store_00010001/DCIM/102ND750
root@iAstroHub:~# gphoto2 -L
There is no file in folder '/'.
There is no file in folder '/store_00010001'.
There is no file in folder '/store_00010001/DCIM'.
There are 4 files in folder '/store_00010001/DCIM/100ND750'.
#1     DSC_0188.JPG               r- 14297 KB 6016x4016 image/jpeg
#2     DSC_0188.NEF               r- 26372 KB application/x-unknown
#3     DSC_0190.JPG               r- 16082 KB 6016x4016 image/jpeg
#4     DSC_0190.NEF               r- 27517 KB application/x-unknown

#648 calli

calli

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 08 March 2016 - 08:51 AM

I think I did try gphoto directly some days ago. I try again.

However I am aware that bulb mode is not supported for Nikon so far in gphoto. I do not care, I have a self made intervallometer (Arduino based) which can be modified to work from USB or can be just controlled by the Raspi. Not that I could use 30s+ with my mount :-)

Carsten

#649 calli

calli

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 08 March 2016 - 09:36 AM

That seems to work better. Minus the BULB mode of course....

I wonder can PiAstroHub also work with external triggers (intervallometer) or just use the shutter speeds < 30s?

And another thing, this:

Initializing Camera |--------------                          \  36.0%       19s

Takes about 30s every image I capture?

Carsten

#650 sampson

sampson

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 08 March 2016 - 09:55 AM

Carsten

Carsten

INDI adds layers of codes on top of gphoto2. It is better to try gphoto2 directly. Put your camera in the bulb mode and manual focus. Try these commands:

sudo gphoto2 --set-config bulb=1 --wait-event=40s --set-config bulb=0 --wait-event=2s
and
gphoto2 -L

The first command will take an image with an exposure time of 40s. The second command will list images in the camera. If the two commands work, iAstroHub will work with D5100. The output log may look like this. Ignore "Error" which is not fatal. Let me know the result.

root@iAstroHub:~# sudo gphoto2 --set-config bulb=1 --wait-event=40s --set-config bulb=0 --wait-event=2s
UNKNOWN PTP Property 500e changed
UNKNOWN PTP Property 5013 changed
UNKNOWN PTP Property d1f1 changed
*** Error ***
FILEADDED DSC_2672.JPG /store_00010001/DCIM/102ND750
root@iAstroHub:~# gphoto2 -L
There are 4 files in folder '/store_00010001/DCIM/100ND750'.
#1 DSC_0188.JPG r- 14297 KB 6016x4016 image/jpeg
#2 DSC_0188.NEF r- 26372 KB application/x-unknown
#3 DSC_0190.JPG r- 16082 KB 6016x4016 image/jpeg
#4 DSC_0190.NEF r- 27517 KB application/x-unknown
Hi Anat,
My Nikon D5300 has the same problem with gphoto2. I have followed your instruction and the result is shown below. Would it be possible to use piAstroHub for controlling my D5300. Also, ap mode is not working for my Edimax on this new version image though I have followed the instructions on http://www.cloudynig...23#entry6466336
Thank you.

pi@raspberry:~$ gphoto2 --auto-detect
Model Port
----------------------------------------------------------
USB PTP Class Camera usb:001,005

pi@raspberry:~$ gphoto2 --set-config bulb=1 --wait-event=40s --set-config bulb=0 --wait-event=2s
UNKNOWN PTP Property 500d changed
UNKNOWN PTP Property d100 changed
UNKNOWN PTP Property d10b changed
UNKNOWN PTP Property d1b2 changed
*** Error ***
UNKNOWN PTP Property d10b changed
UNKNOWN PTP Property d1b2 changed
pi@raspberry:~$ gphoto2 -L
There are 362 files in folder '/store_00010001/DCIM/100D5300'.
#1 DSC_0001.JPG rd 13840 KB 6000x4000 image/jpeg
#2 DSC_0001.NEF rd 30644 KB application/x-unknown
#3 DSC_0002.JPG rd 12689 KB 6000x4000 image/jpeg
#4 DSC_0002.NEF rd 32543 KB application/x-unknown
#5 DSC_0003.JPG rd 12693 KB 6000x4000 image/jpeg

Edited by sampson, 08 March 2016 - 10:44 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics