•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

PiAstroHub: RaspberryPi for Autoguiding+DSLR+GOTO

• Please log in to reply
777 replies to this topic

#701 anat

anat

iAstroHub 3

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 22 April 2016 - 11:26 PM

Does Atlas/Skywatcher NEQ-6 mount work with PiAstroHub(Skysafari) in direct mode or we have to connect it through SynScan hand controller ?

Connect through the syncscan handcontrol serial port.

Anat

#702 Monkey Trumpets

Monkey Trumpets

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 23 April 2016 - 12:16 AM

Thanks Anat, thanks silentg!   :waytogo:

#703 Monkey Trumpets

Monkey Trumpets

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 23 April 2016 - 12:38 AM

The RS-232 is a serial port, so you'll need a cord that plugs into it. I believe that an RJ-9 to RS232 cord will fit. 

Something like this I presume?  http://www.amazon.co...=I21C2H1TUL7R7L

The good news is that when I went to the other link you provided, it showed that I had purchased one in 2012...and I now remember I used it to update the firmware on my CG5 AGT handcontroller.

#704 ronny1977

ronny1977

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 April 2016 - 01:25 PM

Hi,

maybe someone could help me.

I try to use the QHY 5 with Piastrohub (version 2.2 installed on RPi3, installed at 13.04.2016)
I only get a picture with rows.

attachicon.gifWP_20160418_22_12_22_Pro.jpg

Before I start Piastrohub, I focus the cam with Win 7 and PHD2 on Jupiter.

I think the white stripes (see the red mark) should be Jupiter. But the stripes are on each frame on an other position.

Someone have an idea what is wrong?

In "systeminfo - USB Devices" I get for the cam following identification:

- Van Ooijen Technische Informatica

Thanks
Ronny

Ronny

I suggest you run LG from the command line and try changing gain, exposure time, or other parameters.  Try another firmware in

https://sourceforge....files/firmware/

Anat

Hi Anant

I install fimware 1.3, like your description in Post #34 and I reboot the system.

But I got the same like before...

Also I tried to start from command line, but I got message like "cant start x-server".

Thanks

ronny

#705 anat

anat

iAstroHub 3

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 26 April 2016 - 04:53 AM

In case you want to try LG3.3.0 on iAstroHub. Please see the attached file.  Thanks to ecloud and Detlef for the code.

I want to hear how the pulse guide works on Skywatcher/Nexstar/Orion mounts.

Anat

Attached Files

Edited by anat, 26 April 2016 - 04:58 AM.

#706 anat

anat

iAstroHub 3

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 26 April 2016 - 04:54 AM

Steps are as follows:

Copy files to /home/pi/
lin_guider-3.3.0.tar.bz2
libnexstar-0.15.tar.gz
firmware-ccd_1.3_all.deb
libasicamera-0.3.0324-armhf.deb
atikccdsdk-1.1-v7-armhf.deb

sudo apt-get install libusb-1.0-0-dev libqt4-dev libftdi-dev fxload

cd /home/pi/
sudo tar -xvf libnexstar-0.15.tar.gz
cd libnexstar-0.15/
./configure
sudo make
sudo make install

cd /home/pi/
sudo tar -xvf lin_guider-3.3.0.tar.bz2

**************** copy modified files ****************
lin_guider.cpp            	to /home/pi/lin_guider_pack/lin_guider/src/
rcalibration.cpp          	to /home/pi/lin_guider_pack/lin_guider/src/
server.cpp                	to /home/pi/lin_guider_pack/lin_guider/src/
video_asi.cpp			   	to /home/pi/lin_guider_pack/lin_guider/src/video_dev/	
video_atik.cpp    			to /home/pi/lin_guider_pack/lin_guider/src/video_dev/
video_qhy5ii.cpp        	to /home/pi/lin_guider_pack/lin_guider/src/video_dev/
video_qhy6.cpp    			to /home/pi/lin_guider_pack/lin_guider/src/video_dev/
video_sx.cpp    			to /home/pi/lin_guider_pack/lin_guider/src/video_dev/
guider.h                  	to /home/pi/lin_guider_pack/lin_guider/include/
rcalibration.h             	to /home/pi/lin_guider_pack/lin_guider/include/
server.h            		to /home/pi/lin_guider_pack/lin_guider/include/

cd /home/pi/lin_guider_pack/lin_guider/
./configure
sudo make

cd /home/pi/
dpkg -i firmware-ccd_1.3_all.deb
dpkg -i libasicamera-0.3.0324-armhf.deb
dpkg -i atikccdsdk-1.1-v7-armhf.deb

************* SETUP **********************
cd /home/pi/lin_guider_pack/lin_guider/
./lin_guider
Setup > Guider Setup > Device
Setup > Guider Setup > Expo
Setup > Guider Setup > Frame
Setup > Drive Setup > Device
Setup > Settings > Check "drift data"
Processing > Calibration > Check "two axis" and "auto mode"

#707 caledhwa

caledhwa

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 April 2016 - 07:39 AM

Folks, did you see this? Maybe with my hack we can get the new Raspberry Pi 8MP camera working with LIN_GUIDER... and maybe even more...

https://www.raspberr...-board-sale-25/

Let us all know if you use it and have luck! Look earlier in this thread for a hack to get Lin Guider to use the Raspberry Pi camera...

#708 anat

anat

iAstroHub 3

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 26 April 2016 - 11:13 AM

Folks, did you see this? Maybe with my hack we can get the new Raspberry Pi 8MP camera working with LIN_GUIDER... and maybe even more...

https://www.raspberr...-board-sale-25/

Let us all know if you use it and have luck! Look earlier in this thread for a hack to get Lin Guider to use the Raspberry Pi camera...

Any chance of setting exposure time > 1 s using the RPi camera? 

Anat

#709 calli

calli

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Berlin, Germany

Posted 26 April 2016 - 11:32 AM

Even with a Sony chip the pixel size is much too smal.

Carsten

#710 gapperns

gapperns

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 April 2016 - 03:57 PM

This site on the New 8MP Camera - Q&A thread https://www.raspberr...145815&p=961222 says

- 3280x2464 full FOV, allegedly 0.1fps to 15fps. (Yes, that in theory means 10second exposures).

#711 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 26 April 2016 - 06:22 PM

1) Frame rate does not always directly translated to exposure time.  SONY Exmor is fairly hard to do long exposure, especially on those designed for simple mobile phone camera CIS (only using 2-lane MIPI on the CSI bus.)

2) The module has the built-in camera lens and pre-burn in lens shading compensation parameter.

3) Even it's a BSI, tiny pixel pitch (1.12um)  is too much addict to mega pixel race

4) 10-bit A/D only

Most importantly, some ought to tell Rasp designers that

- although using a mobile phone camera module is an easy way out/cheap, many pixels is going to be hard for meaningful use (say face detection for robotics applications) 

- tiny pixel is a bad idea

- always pick the proper camera module first before thinking about H/W and software solution

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#712 anat

anat

iAstroHub 3

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 26 April 2016 - 07:03 PM

I have just ordered the Pi camera V2. I may want to use it as an semi-allsky camera on my remote mount.  Not sure if it works :)

Anat

• bsavoie likes this

#713 anat

anat

iAstroHub 3

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 28 April 2016 - 08:30 AM

The exposure time in Pi Camera V1.3 can be as long as 6 sec. (and 10s for the Sony chip in V2).

https://www.raspberr...hp?f=43&t=82306

I have tried Camera V1.3 myself and I am quite impressed. I will add the support for Pi Camera in iAstroHub to use as a widefield/allsky camera. 

Anat

Edited by anat, 28 April 2016 - 08:33 AM.

• bsavoie and silentg like this

#714 silentg

silentg

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 28 April 2016 - 11:53 AM

The exposure time in Pi Camera V1.3 can be as long as 6 sec. (and 10s for the Sony chip in V2).

I have tried Camera V1.3 myself and I am quite impressed. I will add the support for Pi Camera in iAstroHub to use as a widefield/allsky camera. 

Anat

I struggled with the  RPi camera for a while before giving up. I could get programs to recognize it just fine, but I could never get a reliable mjpeg stream from raspistill (the only framework that has support for 6s exposures). How did you do it? I'd like to pipe the results into linguider just for kicks so the debate can be solved once and for all.

#715 caledhwa

caledhwa

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 April 2016 - 12:24 PM

So, 

I got this working back in December with RPI2 and the old camera. 

I did not do any actual star tracking - who knows if it would work, but I was able to get LinGuider to recognize and use the camera. !!!!

So, I'm not sure if this is what you guys need for AstroPi to work with the RPI camera. I hadn't yet figured out mount and such. Was considering attaching the Pi camera to the Orion 50mm guide scope and give it all a big college try.

Let me know if you guys are thinking about this. 

If someone had a great 3d printer, I bet you could make a great mount for the camera...

In regards to the "streaming i/o" problem with using the Raspberry Pi Camera Module as a web cam for use with Lin_Guider, I've found a solution and got it working on Jessie.

1) Installed UV4L

2) Installed V4L2 (for debugging purposes & to interact with)

3) Installed LIN_GUIDER

4) started the Raspberry Pi camera with UV4L with --extension-presence=1 (this turns on streaming - and yes it works)

Finally, I had to HACK the LIN_GUIDER software. It checks to see if it can set exposure_auto = 1. However the raspicam UV4L driver does not include this parameter. There's a different parameter to check this - I simply removed the check in the code. You can find my version at https://github.com/caledhwa/lin_guider - same install instructions (based on 3.2.0). So, the change is in src/video_dev/video_uvc.cpp - I also changed the format to force it to use MJPEG instead of YUYV. 

The final piece that's important is to export the UV4L library preload:

export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/uv4l/uv4lext/armv6l/libuv4lext.so

Once I did all of these things, the camera showed up in lin_guider just fine! UV4L sets up the video device as /dev/video0. 

Works fantastically, then after I got the libnexstar compiled and installed and recognized by this command:

sudo /sbin/ldconfig -v

I was able to control my Nexstar 5i by lin_guider. 

Now, I just have to have clear skies to test it out. I also need to figure out an easy way to mount the camera to my 6x30 LER Finder. 

Anyhow, since I hadn't heard that anyone had a solution to this, I thought it would be interesting to post that I got it working.

Thanks!

Cale

So, I've done all of this. However, I see no indication that the camera is being recognized by lin_guider. It is definitely being recognized by the OS so I'm not sure what the problem is.

Anat, if we can get this working, the RPis camera could also be used as a polar alignment helper, a la the QHY Polemaster.

• anat likes this

#716 anat

anat

iAstroHub 3

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 28 April 2016 - 12:32 PM

Anat

I struggled with the  RPi camera for a while before giving up. I could get programs to recognize it just fine, but I could never get a reliable mjpeg stream from raspistill (the only framework that has support for 6s exposures). How did you do it? I'd like to pipe the results into linguider just for kicks so the debate can be solved once and for all.

Use raspi-config to enable the camera. Raspistill works out of the box.  There is nothing else to do.  

Anat

• bsavoie likes this

#717 caledhwa

caledhwa

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 April 2016 - 01:14 PM

So, you're saying that I could set up raspi-config and raspistill to work with lin_guider? Or are you just talking about long exposures through an eyepiece or prime?

With up to six seconds, you could get some great shots I'd think... but using the RPI camera through lin_guider would be a great win compared to buying a full guiding experience. I might have to get my T-scope out tonight!

#718 silentg

silentg

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 28 April 2016 - 01:41 PM

Anat

Use raspi-config to enable the camera. Raspistill works out of the box.  There is nothing else to do.  

Anat

It works, I just couldn't get it to work with linguider. I had to use the method Caledhwa mentioned (which did work). I was able to output an mjpeg stream with 2s exposures using his work and some extra arguments. But I found that 2s was not enough to detect stars in the un-magnified field of view.

With the new sensor, it should be possible to have a 2-3 stop improvement in total exposure which should help a lot.

#719 anat

anat

iAstroHub 3

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 28 April 2016 - 06:16 PM

To be clear, I only use the original camera and its lens to get the widefield image of the sky Not through the eyepiece :) 

Anat

• bsavoie likes this

#720 Monkey Trumpets

Monkey Trumpets

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 06 May 2016 - 12:17 AM

What DC adapter is everyone using for their Pi?

#721 THX59

THX59

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: FRANCE

Posted 14 May 2016 - 03:31 PM

Hi,
I have updated the French manual.
Also available in English now.
Clear Sky

https://drive.google...bzQ&usp=sharing

#722 sampson

sampson

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 26 May 2016 - 02:39 AM

Hi,
I have updated the French manual.
Also available in English now.
Clear Sky

https://drive.google...bzQ&usp=sharing

Hi THX59,

Thank you for your effort :waytogo:

I have uploaded the English manual on a Chinese AP forum and I really hope that you won't mind.

By the way, please let me know if you would like me to remove it from the forum. :bow:

Edited by sampson, 26 May 2016 - 04:25 AM.

#723 sampson

sampson

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 25 June 2016 - 02:35 AM

Reply to post 7096925 by anat

Hi Anat,
I have searched lots of information about the bulb mode support in Darktable, BackyardNikon and found that My D5300 should be also support by Gphoto2. I also found in the internet that the fail in bulb mode under Gphoto2  may be the cause of wrong path of lib. :confused:

By the way, the bulb mode now is working for my D5300 after recompiled Gphoto2 following this post (http://www.yannock.b...he-raspberry-pi). I have backed up the original Gphoto2 and replaced it using the recompiled version under the IastroHub (Pi3). But I don't really know would it cause other problems under Iastrohub :undecided:

#724 Mr.Coffee

Mr.Coffee

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 25 June 2016 - 06:30 PM

Hi, everyone, does anyone has the source of iAstroHub 3.0? Could you please provide a link for download? Thanks!

• bsavoie likes this

#725 vendinleciel

vendinleciel

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 August 2016 - 10:29 AM

Hello

I install PiAstrohub on my new rpi3 which is now more standard with wifi and blue tooth.

One question

On liguider, when i choose GPIO for pulse driving, what GPIO pins are use to command ST4?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics