•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

PiAstroHub: RaspberryPi for Autoguiding+DSLR+GOTO

• Please log in to reply
777 replies to this topic

#726 Mr.Coffee

Mr.Coffee

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 August 2016 - 11:49 PM

Hello

I install PiAstrohub on my new rpi3 which is now more standard with wifi and blue tooth.

One question

On liguider, when i choose GPIO for pulse driving, what GPIO pins are use to command ST4?

Hi, Could you please provide the download link of the PiAstrohub, thanks.

#727 CDLC

CDLC

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 12 August 2016 - 02:16 AM

Dear Anat,

First of all, I want to thank you for the awesome job you've made with iAstroHub development.

I am to use it on a handmade, foldable dobson on an equatorial table + autoguided rocker:

the original Strock telescope (named from it's inventor's name: Pierre Strock):

http://strock.pi.r2....Strock-250.html

My small 200mm (not yet used for astrophotography):

http://www.webastro....ad.php?t=126604

The equatorial platform:

http://www.webastro....ad.php?t=134182

The arduino command (that takes the ST4 commands for autoguiding purposes):

http://www.webastro....ad.php?t=135242

The latest evolutions of my telescope:

http://www.webastro....ad.php?t=137067

And the pictures I made with it (yet without autoguiding):

http://www.webastro....ad.php?t=140246

I suceeded in installing iAstroHub v2.2 on a RP3.

I got 2 difficulties:

- Just needed to findout that Canon EOS450d is using the same protocol as EOS1000d... ;-(

- Just needed to connect my pc by wifi on iAstroHub in order to connect the VNC client for autoguiding camera settings... USB connexion couldn't work for that purpose...

As a result, I can take pictures with the camera, and see the QHY5LIIc autoguiding camera's screen. ;-)

Real testing on stars will be done tomorrow!

I just have some questions:

- shutdown : what happens if it is not properly done? screen says that the led would switch off, but it doesn't... I see that the wifi is off (ipad losts connexion), and thats all.

- Sky Safari : is the plus version necessary if I don't use the goto? I just need to display the result of the plate solving...

- settings : must I set the type of camera (Canon), and the protocol (1000d) each time I switchon the system?

- autoguiding : what means the RA and DEC gains (main page), and how does work the Alert threshold?

Thank you in advance, and thank you again!

Christophe - France.

#728 anat

anat

iAstroHub 3

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 17 August 2016 - 01:33 AM

Christophe

I just have some questions:
- shutdown : what happens if it is not properly done? screen says that the led would switch off, but it doesn't... I see that the wifi is off (ipad losts connexion), and thats all.

For RPi3, it seems that LED remains solid after shutdown. It is OK. 

- Sky Safari : is the plus version necessary if I don't use the goto? I just need to display the result of the plate solving...

No need to get the Plus version. 

- settings : must I set the type of camera (Canon), and the protocol (1000d) each time I switchon the system?

No. Only initial setup. 

- autoguiding : what means the RA and DEC gains (main page), and how does work the Alert threshold?

RA and Dec gains are like aggressiveness. The larger the gain, the faster the errors are reduced. But it can be bad because it is too fast. Start with 100 and see. 

Whe Alert threshold is set, "View Alert" will show the time when the error is larger than the threshold. It is useful when the tablet sleeps. You can check what happened by viewing alert.

Anat

• CDLC likes this

#729 anat

anat

iAstroHub 3

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 17 August 2016 - 01:38 AM

Hello

I install PiAstrohub on my new rpi3 which is now more standard with wifi and blue tooth.

One question

On liguider, when i choose GPIO for pulse driving, what GPIO pins are use to command ST4?

Hi, Could you please provide the download link of the PiAstrohub, thanks.

The link is here

http://www.cloudynig...goto/?p=7092934

#730 anat

anat

iAstroHub 3

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 17 August 2016 - 01:40 AM

Hello

One question

You may need to look into the code of LG. Or you can as Rumen, one of the developers. 

#731 tango13

tango13

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rome, Italy

Posted 17 August 2016 - 03:24 AM

Hi Anat,

has iAH version 3 (I mean the successor to iAH v2.2, not the RPi3 version) been released yet?

By the way, as you might already know iAH has been my favorite (and now the only one ;)  ) tool for astrophotography for a looong time now and I can't help thanking you once again for your fantastic work...

Attached you can see one of my latest achievements with it.

Thank you!

Piero

bubble_bayer_drizzle_reduced.jpg

Edit: the image looks a bit blurry but I think it's because of some forum image handling, I can assure you that iAH has done a terrific job! :grin:

Edited by tango13, 17 August 2016 - 03:29 AM.

#732 anat

anat

iAstroHub 3

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 17 August 2016 - 03:40 AM

Hi Piero

Thanks for your kind words. The image is great!

I will release iAH 3.0 around the end of September. Sorry for the delay. I am waiting for testing a coming Atik camera. Native driver supports will be available for SBIG, QHY, Atik, SX, and QSI cameras. For other cameras, INDI will be used. 

Anat

#733 tango13

tango13

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rome, Italy

Posted 17 August 2016 - 04:40 AM

Sounds great, thanks!

Ciao,

Piero

#734 CDLC

CDLC

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 August 2016 - 03:45 AM

Again Anat, thank you for your incredible job!

Do you intend to support QHYCCD's Polemaster with the next version?

Thank you in advance

Christophe

#735 craigg

craigg

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 22 August 2016 - 05:11 AM

Hi All,

I've been using iAH since the early days.  I have an 808B device I've been using for most of this time, but decided to try out the RPi3 so I can connect to my LAN via Ethernet when running it at home.

I'm all setup running 2.2.  Along with this I've also had another go at plate solving with SkySafari (never got around to mastering this).  Now that I understand the process - connect the scope then apply the iAH downloaded settings - I can get a plate solved position and then align the scope to it.

One minor issue though:- I'm using SkySafari 4 Plus on a Mac, also SS5 on an iPad.  I've copied the settings file from SS to /home/pi/www/setting.skyset, and solved an image (your default one with iAH2.2).  What's missing is the bounding box showing the exact FOV.  SS4 & 5 have a new FOV view which is based on specific telescope/camera combinations, so I'm wondering if that's the issue?  If I have an FOV box configured when I save the settings, it also appears in the plate solved image, but it doesn't necessarily give the correct size.  I 'think' the centre point and field rotation are correct, it's just the box size as far as I can tell.  I can make a box the same FOV size as my camera and scope, but when I change the scope or camera I have to upload a new settings file to iAH.  I did think I could have multiple boxes in SS, which appears to work, but wondered if there's something I'm missing?

Any help appreciated!

Craig

#736 pallikas

pallikas

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Raleigh, NC USA

Posted 31 August 2016 - 03:15 PM

Anat, you ROCK!

I have been doing remote AP using a fully configured windows system at the scope site, and using RDP/VNC to remote control that machine from the comforts oh Home, RV, Trailer, Tent.  While this works fine, and has full function SW, it is still time consuming and a bit overkill for some basic AP sessions.

I just loaded the image onto a RPi3 and booted it up, INSTANT Success!  I still need to learn the options and practice, but I can see that you have a winner here!  Anxiously awaiting IAH Ver3, ASAP!  Also, will you be including support for the ZWO cameras in that release?  Particularly the ASI174MM and ASI1600MM?

I can see that this is going to be THE topic of conversation at my imaging club meeting coming up.

I need to consult the doc file, but I assume you have a method to change the SSID and PW, so that multiple users on the same site can co-exist?

Well done, and much appreciated!

#737 pallikas

pallikas

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 31 August 2016 - 06:00 PM

Anat, I think I may have found a slight bug.  I used the admin panel to re-define the system name and password (I assume that means SSID and Password.  When I rebooted, it never came back.  I used Paul's iAstroHub as a name, so I think that it cannot handle spaces?  Special Characters?  Sounds like you may be passing a keyword vs a string variable.  

BTW, when you get close with 3.0 will you be beta testing it?  I am particularly interested in the ZWO camera support.  Also, ZWO has a motorized Filter Wheel, It would be nice to see support for it, as well as the ATIK EFW2, Both of which, I am considering.

#738 pallikas

pallikas

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 31 August 2016 - 06:07 PM

Found a way to convert the 12v to 5V for powering the RPi3 at the mount.  I can feed just one 12v line up to the scope, and mount the rpi on the OTA or dovetail with velcro.  

then, I can us a pigtail set of short wires to feed 12v to the cameras, focuser, and dew controller, as well as through this device to the rpi for it's required 5v.  Then, I can use short USB jumpers for the signal connections to cameras, and focuser, by plugging them directly into the rpi3.

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• bsavoie likes this

#739 Silvifabio

Silvifabio

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 05 September 2016 - 04:59 PM

I Anat,

I'm on the way to receive a Pi3 and start to use your fantastic opensouce project.

I have an ASI 120 MM usb3 and I guess I need Linguider V3.X to run it.

The mount is Ioptron ZEQ25, Camera Canon 700D

In a previous post I read that you could share an iAstrohub image version including linguider 3.x.

Is that correct?

Could you please share this image or the instructions to compile LG 3.1 starting from the iAstrohub 2.2?

Thanks a lot

• bsavoie likes this

#740 Silvifabio

Silvifabio

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 08 September 2016 - 02:38 PM

I 'm trying from a week to download the iAstroHub 2.2 for RPi3 image but with no success.

The download start OK with good speed but at 20% more or less it stop.

Anyone as the same problem?

There is another link to download?

Thanks for help

#741 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 08 September 2016 - 06:28 PM

Please use the method described here:

http://www.cloudynig...16#entry6379193

#742 Silvifabio

Silvifabio

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 10 September 2016 - 08:36 AM

Thanks ccs_hello for your suggestion,

I'm trying it  but without success.

This is the only one file in my life that refuse to download. :confused:

#743 bsavoie

bsavoie

Viking 1

• Loc: North Alabama 35747

Posted 10 September 2016 - 01:29 PM

Usually when a software file 'refuse to download' it is because you don't have the authority to write in the directory you are trying to download the file into. You might check that option. Something like 'ls >test_file' which, if you have authority, will create a file 'test_file' with a list files 'ls' command. You can then see the file with cat test_file. Then you can remove the file 'rm test_file'. to clean up your mess..

Software has many layers to it, don't get discouraged, it isn't smart enough to be against you.. But to do something complicated you need to understand about authority. 'ls -l' will list out the flags that are set around authority and ownerships for each file in your directory.

hope that helps..

Bill

#744 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 10 September 2016 - 03:24 PM

re: post #741

Google Drive has one major benefit (sharing large files to many people while not being charged for storage and # of downloads.)  It is a good-will from Google.

However, many had experienced that direct download such content thru a web browser is not reliable.  Many of us have experiences that.

AFAIK, the fail proof method is what I had mentioned and every single step is supported by Google Drive.

Step 1: copy file URL and drag-drop that into your own Google Drive folder <-- at this point, you've already "have the file", this is instant

Step 2: use Google Drive native method to automatically sync what you have in the Google Drive in the cloud with what you (are going to have) in your local computer <-- assuming you have Google Drive software installed.

(auto sync is not fast, but it is reliable)

Both steps are Google Drive supported capabilities.  If there still issues, getting support from Google Drive IMHO is the best route.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#745 Silvifabio

Silvifabio

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 September 2016 - 08:17 AM

Thanks all for help,

I solved using a 4G net instead of my normal ADSL cable net (strange but true).

I tried all expedients, also to download through linux (virtual machine and native), using ADSL nothing works well but only on this file, all others files download normally without problems.

:confused: :crazy:

Fabio

#746 gapperns

gapperns

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 12 September 2016 - 09:24 AM

dumb question...  the description of PiAstrohub indicates it can help in Polar Alignment. I am able to plate solve and connect to SkySafari to provide tablet based go-to. How does one use PiAstrohub to do/assist in a Polar Alignment?

Thanks

#747 websurf

websurf

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Italy

Posted 12 September 2016 - 10:56 AM

Sorry to bother...

I tried to read all the 30 pages, but I got lost with all the different revisions of AstroHub.

I'm trying to get back into astrophotography after a long time, so I'm a bit behind with equipment upgrade.

I have also to admit my total lack of knowledge regarding linux compile.

My equipment is a losmandy G11 with level 4 gemini 1, a modified canon 350d, a philips webcam as a guider.

The question is: if I buy the RPi3, load PiAstroHub on the sd card and power it up, what I will be able to do with my equipment?

Reading all the posts, I remember I saw at a certain point that webcams and dslr shutter cables were supported. Is it true also with the RPi3 revision?

Thanks a lot.

Roberto

#748 Soncebos

Soncebos

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Germany, NRW

Posted 18 September 2016 - 02:05 PM

Hello

i use iAstroHub on a CX919-II for a year now with good results.

Last weekend i had some problems finding my object in the sky. So

i wanted to use plate solving.

I have no idea how to transfer the picture from my camera (Canon 1000Da)

to the folder on iAstroHub.

I use a jailbroken iPad to control iAstrohub, Skysafari an DSLRDashboard.

Could anyone help me with some hints how to do this?

The reason to post this in piAstrohub and not in iAstrohub is that

i want to switch to raspberrypi 3 and keep the CX919-II for spare.

Edited by Soncebos, 18 September 2016 - 02:07 PM.

#749 gapperns

gapperns

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 18 September 2016 - 03:46 PM

Hi Soncebos,

Not sure if I understand the problem, but for me, on a RPi3 I use the DSLR camera capture option at the bottom of the main (plate solving) web page to capture the image (raw + jpeg). Having done this, that is the jpeg image that the plate solving button will use automatically. Once I've plate solved and loaded that into SkySafari (on my non-broken iPad or iPhone) then I can use dslrDashboard to perform more nuanced image captures.

Cheers

Jerry

Hello

i use iAstroHub on a CX919-II for a year now with good results.

Last weekend i had some problems finding my object in the sky. So

i wanted to use plate solving.

I have no idea how to transfer the picture from my camera (Canon 1000Da)

to the folder on iAstroHub.

I use a jailbroken iPad to control iAstrohub, Skysafari an DSLRDashboard.

Could anyone help me with some hints how to do this?

The reason to post this in piAstrohub and not in iAstrohub is that

i want to switch to raspberrypi 3 and keep the CX919-II for spare.

#750 Soncebos

Soncebos

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Germany, NRW

Posted 19 September 2016 - 11:52 AM

Hi Jerry,

i did not try that yet.

I will do so and report here.

Thanks

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics