•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

PiAstroHub: RaspberryPi for Autoguiding+DSLR+GOTO

• Please log in to reply
777 replies to this topic

#751 Soncebos

Soncebos

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Germany, NRW

Posted 19 September 2016 - 01:25 PM

Hello again,

i did try what jerry suggested and it did not work for me.

The image shown with the viewer is one of anat's pictures.

And the one solved with plate solving shows an area around altinak.

Any other ideas?

#752 DetlefL

DetlefL

Sputnik

Posted 19 September 2016 - 01:51 PM

Hello again,

i did try what jerry suggested and it did not work for me.

The image shown with the viewer is one of anat's pictures.

And the one solved with plate solving shows an area around altinak.

Any other ideas?

Hi Jens,

for me this works with a CANON DSLR. You have to use direct USB connection to the camera, control the image capturing with gphoto, and don't forget to enable the automatic download of the images from the camera into the pi. Under these conditions plate solving uses the last image which was downloaded (i.e. the image with the highest number). If it still does not work for you try to  delete all images before you capture a new one. Perhaps there exists an old image in the directory which has a higher number than (or is sorted below) your image.

Regards,

Detlef

#753 Soncebos

Soncebos

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 20 September 2016 - 11:37 AM

Hello again,

i did try what Detlef suggested but still no luck.

I have the Camera connected with USB directly and have checked the download enable in the Admin tab.

I will check if i find aut where the images go.

#754 DetlefL

DetlefL

Sputnik

Posted 20 September 2016 - 12:21 PM

Hello again,

I have the Camera connected with USB directly and have checked the download enable in the Admin tab.

Hi Jens,

the images are located in

/home/pi/www/images

With a button on the admin page an external USB stick (/dev/sda1) can be mounted to that location. Otherwise the directory is local on the SD card.

There is also a button for deleting all images in that folder.

Regards,

Detlef

#755 anat

anat

iAstroHub 3

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 20 September 2016 - 08:22 PM

Again Anat, thank you for your incredible job!

Do you intend to support QHYCCD's Polemaster with the next version?

Thank you in advance

Christophe

Christophe

Sorry for my long absense. Polemaster is not supported. QHY SDK is not available for the camera.

Anat

#756 anat

anat

iAstroHub 3

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 20 September 2016 - 08:24 PM

Hi All,

I've been using iAH since the early days.  I have an 808B device I've been using for most of this time, but decided to try out the RPi3 so I can connect to my LAN via Ethernet when running it at home.

I'm all setup running 2.2.  Along with this I've also had another go at plate solving with SkySafari (never got around to mastering this).  Now that I understand the process - connect the scope then apply the iAH downloaded settings - I can get a plate solved position and then align the scope to it.

One minor issue though:- I'm using SkySafari 4 Plus on a Mac, also SS5 on an iPad.  I've copied the settings file from SS to /home/pi/www/setting.skyset, and solved an image (your default one with iAH2.2).  What's missing is the bounding box showing the exact FOV.  SS4 & 5 have a new FOV view which is based on specific telescope/camera combinations, so I'm wondering if that's the issue?  If I have an FOV box configured when I save the settings, it also appears in the plate solved image, but it doesn't necessarily give the correct size.  I 'think' the centre point and field rotation are correct, it's just the box size as far as I can tell.  I can make a box the same FOV size as my camera and scope, but when I change the scope or camera I have to upload a new settings file to iAH.  I did think I could have multiple boxes in SS, which appears to work, but wondered if there's something I'm missing?

Any help appreciated!

Craig

Craig

Sorry for my long absence. The FOV needs to be set in Skysafari itself by choosing your equipment. Then the modified skyset file will adjust the orientation of the FOV. 

Anat

#757 anat

anat

iAstroHub 3

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 20 September 2016 - 08:29 PM

Anat, you ROCK!

I have been doing remote AP using a fully configured windows system at the scope site, and using RDP/VNC to remote control that machine from the comforts oh Home, RV, Trailer, Tent.  While this works fine, and has full function SW, it is still time consuming and a bit overkill for some basic AP sessions.

I just loaded the image onto a RPi3 and booted it up, INSTANT Success!  I still need to learn the options and practice, but I can see that you have a winner here!  Anxiously awaiting IAH Ver3, ASAP!  Also, will you be including support for the ZWO cameras in that release?  Particularly the ASI174MM and ASI1600MM?

I can see that this is going to be THE topic of conversation at my imaging club meeting coming up.

I need to consult the doc file, but I assume you have a method to change the SSID and PW, so that multiple users on the same site can co-exist?

Well done, and much appreciated!

Thanks for your kind words.  ZWO will be supported via INDI. You can use the INDI web interface I provide or existing INDI client apps in iOS or Android. 

#758 anat

anat

iAstroHub 3

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 20 September 2016 - 08:31 PM

Anat, I think I may have found a slight bug.  I used the admin panel to re-define the system name and password (I assume that means SSID and Password.  When I rebooted, it never came back.  I used Paul's iAstroHub as a name, so I think that it cannot handle spaces?  Special Characters?  Sounds like you may be passing a keyword vs a string variable.  

Please avoid using special characters in SSID. Try iAstroHub_for_Paul  :)

#759 anat

anat

iAstroHub 3

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 20 September 2016 - 08:32 PM

Found a way to convert the 12v to 5V for powering the RPi3 at the mount.  I can feed just one 12v line up to the scope, and mount the rpi on the OTA or dovetail with velcro.  

then, I can us a pigtail set of short wires to feed 12v to the cameras, focuser, and dew controller, as well as through this device to the rpi for it's required 5v.  Then, I can use short USB jumpers for the signal connections to cameras, and focuser, by plugging them directly into the rpi3.

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use the same power converter. It is inexpensive, stable, and it never gets hot. 

Anat

• bsavoie likes this

#760 anat

anat

iAstroHub 3

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 20 September 2016 - 08:36 PM

I Anat,

I'm on the way to receive a Pi3 and start to use your fantastic opensouce project.

I have an ASI 120 MM usb3 and I guess I need Linguider V3.X to run it.

The mount is Ioptron ZEQ25, Camera Canon 700D

In a previous post I read that you could share an iAstrohub image version including linguider 3.x.

Is that correct?

Could you please share this image or the instructions to compile LG 3.1 starting from the iAstrohub 2.2?

Thanks a lot

Please wait for about 10days. iAstroHub 3.0 will have LG3.3.0 which supports ASI. 

#761 anat

anat

iAstroHub 3

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 20 September 2016 - 08:40 PM

dumb question...  the description of PiAstrohub indicates it can help in Polar Alignment. I am able to plate solve and connect to SkySafari to provide tablet based go-to. How does one use PiAstrohub to do/assist in a Polar Alignment?

Thanks

Basically, you can use the autoguider to do drift alignment :). There is a drift alignment guide which direction to adjust if the star drifts North..etc. 

Anat

#762 anat

anat

iAstroHub 3

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 20 September 2016 - 08:44 PM

Sorry to bother...

I tried to read all the 30 pages, but I got lost with all the different revisions of AstroHub.

I'm trying to get back into astrophotography after a long time, so I'm a bit behind with equipment upgrade.

I have also to admit my total lack of knowledge regarding linux compile.

My equipment is a losmandy G11 with level 4 gemini 1, a modified canon 350d, a philips webcam as a guider.

The question is: if I buy the RPi3, load PiAstroHub on the sd card and power it up, what I will be able to do with my equipment?

Reading all the posts, I remember I saw at a certain point that webcams and dslr shutter cables were supported. Is it true also with the RPi3 revision?

Thanks a lot.

Roberto

Roberto

iAstroHub cannot guide your mount using the webcam. An autoguider (QHY5 et al.) is needed. For Canon 350d, you need a serial shutter cable to control the exposure. And iAstroHub will download the image for preview and platesolving. Then it will align your mount and control goto by itself or from Skysafari. 

Anat

#763 anat

anat

iAstroHub 3

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 20 September 2016 - 08:53 PM

Hello again,

Jens

It seems that your images are not downloaded to iAstroHub. To debug, please look at this file "dslr_getphoto.sh".  This script will look for the jpeg file in the camera and download the latest one.

To run the script in the console, use

sudo bash /home/pi/www/dslr_getphoto.sh

You should get the screen output and please show me. 

Anat

#764 anat

anat

iAstroHub 3

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 20 September 2016 - 09:01 PM

Hello

i use iAstroHub on a CX919-II for a year now with good results.

Last weekend i had some problems finding my object in the sky. So

i wanted to use plate solving.

I have no idea how to transfer the picture from my camera (Canon 1000Da)

to the folder on iAstroHub.

I use a jailbroken iPad to control iAstrohub, Skysafari an DSLRDashboard.

Could anyone help me with some hints how to do this?

The reason to post this in piAstrohub and not in iAstrohub is that

i want to switch to raspberrypi 3 and keep the CX919-II for spare.

Jens, 

Note that you need to use the web interface to capture images to get the image downloaded to the viewer. 

Anat

Edited by anat, 21 September 2016 - 06:22 PM.

#765 Soncebos

Soncebos

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 21 September 2016 - 02:08 PM

I finally found the error on my side (as mostly).

I misunderstood the use of the botton "download enable / disable on the Admin page.

What i thougt is that the disable / enable switch shows what you got.

But it shows what you get instead.

So i switched the switch and the download worked.

Thanks for your patience.

#766 websurf

websurf

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Italy

Posted 27 September 2016 - 05:48 AM

Sorry to bother...

I tried to read all the 30 pages, but I got lost with all the different revisions of AstroHub.

I'm trying to get back into astrophotography after a long time, so I'm a bit behind with equipment upgrade.

My equipment is a losmandy G11 with level 4 gemini 1, a modified canon 350d, a philips webcam as a guider.

The question is: if I buy the RPi3, load PiAstroHub on the sd card and power it up, what I will be able to do with my equipment?

Reading all the posts, I remember I saw at a certain point that webcams and dslr shutter cables were supported. Is it true also with the RPi3 revision?

Thanks a lot.

Roberto

Roberto

iAstroHub cannot guide your mount using the webcam. An autoguider (QHY5 et al.) is needed. For Canon 350d, you need a serial shutter cable to control the exposure. And iAstroHub will download the image for preview and platesolving. Then it will align your mount and control goto by itself or from Skysafari. 

Anat

Hi Anat, thanks for the replay, I was planning to buy an autoguider anyway, so that is definitely not a problem.

I have already a serial shutter cable for the camera that I was using with a laptop. Will iAstrohub (or better PiAstrohub) manage also this cable to provide shutter control? A pl2303 adapter is ok? Does the serial shutter cable need to be a specific one?

Sorry for all the silly questions :silly:....

Thanks a lot.

Roberto

PS. I would like to applaud you for the great job you did and for keeping it free for every astronomer, not so skilled as you are with electronic, to use. You are one of kind.

#767 THX59

THX59

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: FRANCE

Posted 27 September 2016 - 06:42 AM

Sorry to bother...

Thanks a lot.

Roberto

Roberto

Anat

Hi Anat, thanks for the replay, I was planning to buy an autoguider anyway, so that is definitely not a problem.

I have already a serial shutter cable for the camera that I was using with a laptop. Will iAstrohub (or better PiAstrohub) manage also this cable to provide shutter control? A pl2303 adapter is ok? Does the serial shutter cable need to be a specific one?

Thanks a lot.

Roberto

PS. I would like to applaud you for the great job you did and for keeping it free for every astronomer, not so skilled as you are with electronic, to use. You are one of kind.

Hi,

I have written a manual which could help you (even if it's not exactely the same setup).

http://www.cloudynig...goto/?p=7216861

Best regards

Edited by THX59, 27 September 2016 - 07:17 AM.

• bsavoie likes this

#768 anat

anat

iAstroHub 3

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 28 September 2016 - 01:55 AM

Thanks a lot.

Roberto

Thanks for your kind words. 

In iAstroHub 3.0, the serial shutter cable is supported. So, you need the serial shutter cable to control the shutter and a usb cable to get images to preview and plate-solving.

http://www.beskeen.c...lr_serial.shtml
http://www.covington...nonRelease.html

Please use the FTDI-based USB-serial adapter to connect to the shutter cable. The PL2303 usb serial adapter is reserved for the mount control. 

Please make sure that you get the autoguider supported by Linguider. I recommend QHY5Lii-Mono. 

Best regards,

Anat

PS: I have completed the image file of iAstroHub 3.0 for RPi3. Please give me a few days to prepare a manual and upload. 

#769 anat

anat

iAstroHub 3

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 28 September 2016 - 01:57 AM

Sorry to bother...

Thanks a lot.

Roberto

Roberto

Anat

Thanks a lot.

Roberto

Hi,

I have written a manual which could help you (even if it's not exactely the same setup).

http://www.cloudynig...goto/?p=7216861

Best regards

Thanks Richard.

Let me update your manual for iAstroHub 3.0. I like graphics in your manual.

Anat

#770 tango13

tango13

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rome, Italy

Posted 28 September 2016 - 08:00 AM

PS: I have completed the image file of iAstroHub 3.0 for RPi3. Please give me a few days to prepare a manual and upload. 

Wow, that sounds great! Can't wait to see it!

Thanks for your great work, Anat.

Ciao,

Piero

#771 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 28 September 2016 - 08:12 PM

For RTS based shutter control (using FTDI USB-serial chip), these two threads can be helpful:

http://www.cloudynig...trol-for-nikon/

http://www.cloudynig...hutter-control/

Note 1: for Canon, no need to use the half-pressed signal (i.e., diodes can be omitted) on corded control

Note 2: FDTI serial dongle, AFAIK, if using Linux based system (such as iAstroHub or PiAstroHub),

there is no such "FTDI-corp created special driver" designed to weed-out other cloned chips.

(AFAIK) Generic FTDI driver works fine.

<-- Windows based system is a different story...

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#772 DetlefL

DetlefL

Sputnik

Posted 28 September 2016 - 11:04 PM

Note 2: FDTI serial dongle, AFAIK, if using Linux based system (such as iAstroHub or PiAstroHub),

there is no such "FTDI-corp created special driver" designed to weed-out other cloned chips.

Hi,

in my opinion it is not a question of a specific driver. You need to know which /dev/ttyUSBxx is assigned to which dongle.

This can quite easily sorted out by defining some udev rules. FTDI based dongles have typically a unique serial number which can be used in a udev rule. Then each dongle gets its own device identifer regardless where and when connected. Or the supplier name can be used to give the device a unique name.

If the PL2303 does not support a serial number you need an adapter from another supplier to be able to distinguish between them. Maybe this is the reason for Anat's comment.

Regards,

Detlef

Edited by DetlefL, 28 September 2016 - 11:05 PM.

#773 Mr.Coffee

Mr.Coffee

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 29 September 2016 - 02:08 AM

Hi, Anat,

It will be the end of this month, we are eagerly looking forward to see the 3.0 version on RP3.

#774 gapperns

gapperns

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 30 September 2016 - 01:08 PM

Although I'm pretty sure I can guess the answer... will the new PIXEL "“Pi Improved Xwindows Environment, Lightweight” ever be able to be supported as part of iAstroHub?

#775 anat

anat

iAstroHub 3

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 30 September 2016 - 05:16 PM

Although I'm pretty sure I can guess the answer... will the new PIXEL "“Pi Improved Xwindows Environment, Lightweight” ever be able to be supported as part of iAstroHub?

Hi,

in my opinion it is not a question of a specific driver. You need to know which /dev/ttyUSBxx is assigned to which dongle.

This can quite easily sorted out by defining some udev rules. FTDI based dongles have typically a unique serial number which can be used in a udev rule. Then each dongle gets its own device identifer regardless where and when connected. Or the supplier name can be used to give the device a unique name.

If the PL2303 does not support a serial number you need an adapter from another supplier to be able to distinguish between them. Maybe this is the reason for Anat's comment.

Regards,

Detlef

FTDI chips are also used in other devices which don't want ttyUSBx. For example, QSI camera, focuser, Flip-flat. By default, the ftdi module is not loaded automatically. 

But once it is loaded, it will be automatically loaded until you unload the FTDI driver. :)

Anat

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics