•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

MEADE DEW SHIELDS

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 D13x3

D13x3

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 August 2005 - 07:11 PM

Meade makes their own aluminum dew sheilds for their SCTs.

QUESTION: Respective of size, will their SCT dew shields fit all of their SCT models?

I have ordered a new 10" LX90-LNT, and I'm wondering if I buy a Meade second-hand dew shield designed for one of their 10" SCTs, will it fit mine?

Thanks and regards,

Sam Lucchese
Austin, TX

#2 wilash

wilash

Fairy Godmother

Posted 30 August 2005 - 07:32 PM

Sam, there is a theory going around that metal dew sheilds don't work as well as plastic or foam because they act as heat sinks and cool the corrector faster. I really don't know if this has been tested or an urban myth, but just FYI.

#3 Mobius1

Mobius1

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 August 2005 - 08:04 PM

I have a JMI 8" SCT shield for a Meade LX90, it is metal but lined on the inside with black felt. It at least triples the time I have to observe with, but something about the design tells me its not worth $130, LOL. It's not bad, just not THAT good. And the fit is just fine, there are three adjustable screws. But I think one can make something of equal or better quality, or buy a synthetic shield for much less.

#4 Joel

Joel

Gemini

Posted 30 August 2005 - 08:10 PM

I have an Orion dew shield for my 10" LX200 and it was about $32 shipped.

#5 Mobius1

Mobius1

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 August 2005 - 08:12 PM

Wow, yeah I really blew it there........ :foreheadslap:

#6 Mike B

Mike B

Starstruck

Posted 31 August 2005 - 12:35 PM

Gentlemen-
For the last 9 years i used a "flex" felt-lined dewshield... until fatigued, it finally cracked beyond functionality (= i ran outta duck tape ;)). So i've just recently constructed my own shield using "Reflectix" lined with "ScopeStuff" black adhesive-backed flocking. I've meant to do a quickie write-up post on it, but haven't had the time. So far it's worked really well, but is so light-weight i'm having to re-balance my rig! My only concern is it's durability... yes-it's somewhat less expensive than a typical "flex" shield, but the minimum material you end up purchasing will build two shields, and even with TWO of 'em, they may not outlast the lifespan of a single 9-year "flex" unit. Only time will tell. But at least i got to play with sharp instruments :scared: & that reeeelly cool flocking-felt! :woot: That alone was worth the price of admission :lol:
:cool: mike b

#7 ClownFish

ClownFish

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 31 August 2005 - 12:56 PM

Great idea Mike.

I use a flex shield to ward off stray light.. no humidity up here, but one neighbor has a pesky light. The thing is like 20 acres away but I swear it's pointing right at me. I was thinking of putting a pole and small square about 100 feet from my observatory to block it. Would look silly, but I bet it would work!

Perhaps you should make a dozen or so of your lightweight dew shields and sell them here!

CF

#8 southmike

southmike

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 31 August 2005 - 01:48 PM

most of the Meade scopes use similar ota's thus an lx90 will fit a lx200 ..the aluminum shield functions to prevent the dew from reaching the lens..it acts more like an umbrella then anything..when i mounted a top rail and guide scope on mine the flex Shields would not fit without notching them...that said the aluminum shields do not fold flat( at least not more then once , then it stays that way)
but they look quite sharp. also the may make the scope quite nose heavy so counter weights may be in the future

#9 Mike B

Mike B

Starstruck

Posted 31 August 2005 - 02:04 PM

"I was thinking of putting a pole and small square about 100 feet from my observatory to block it"

Been there... done that. Check this out.

"Perhaps you should make a dozen or so of your lightweight dew shields and sell them here!"

Or better, i'll finally post my "quickie", & y'all can make 'em even better than me! :lol:

:cool: mike b

#10 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators

Posted 01 September 2005 - 11:23 AM

I use a AstroZap dewshield with the built in heated dew coil, highly recomended.

#11 D13x3

D13x3

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 September 2005 - 11:40 AM

Joel,

I also have an Orion flexible dew shield for a 10". Granted the price was low; but, the thing weighs A TON :foreheadslap: !!!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics