•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

C5 Guidescope

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 January 2004 - 12:03 PM

Has anyone tried mounting a C5 on a 8 to 11 inch Celestron SC as a guidescope? What hardware was used? Any feedback would be great.

I was thinking it might make a nice guidescope on a C9.25 since is quite light and short for a 5 inch scope.

#2 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 27 January 2004 - 12:37 PM

Makes me feel sad.

A C5 is what I use to do most of my observing, and you're thinking of putting it on top of something as a guidescope!!!

Suddenly, I feel very small.

edz

#3 Jeff_Richards

Jeff_Richards

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 27 January 2004 - 01:34 PM

Well the biggest issue with using a "CAT" as a guidescope is mirror flop for both scopes. Using a CAT to guide a CAT can be done but you have to consider that each mirror can move (flop) and they can move independent of each other. If you can lock down the mirror of the C5 then you would fix that part of the equation.

Clear skies,
Jeff

#4 Mike28

Mike28

Gemini

Posted 27 January 2004 - 11:47 PM

And no telling what the uneven weight distribution will do to the motors/gears. Might cause issues there..... and tracking....

#5 Jeff_Richards

Jeff_Richards

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 28 January 2004 - 01:09 AM

Hi Mike,

The weight can be handled pretty easily with a good counterweight assembly located underneath. The drive gears/system in the GPS series is pretty robust and can handle quite a big load.

Clear skies,
Jeff

#6 Don W

Don W

Founding Member

Posted 28 January 2004 - 06:20 PM

Mirror flop is such a small problem with the C5 that it's basically a non-issue. It makes a fine guides scope. The problem is getting adjustable rings large enough to mount it. The OTA is about 5.75" OD. As to the weight issue, it's not the weight it's the distribution of it. That's a simple matter of using appropriate counterweights no matter what sort of mount you are using.

#7 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 28 January 2004 - 09:27 PM

I have a refractor mounted on a losmandy rail on top of my NS11 and at times, using it can be a real chore. With the C5 I see the eye piece that much higher which means you'll want to flop the diagonal over which gives you a bit different sight picture than you see in the main scope. Is that a problem? Pick either one! I'm just curious.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics