•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Solar telescope?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 gavinm

gavinm

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 30 August 2005 - 08:35 PM

What would be a good CAT for a solar telescope (daylight not H-alpha). No mount. I have thought ETX90 or 105? Too small, too big? Others?
It will be hooked up for CCD imaging only.
Thanks

#2 Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Metal Whisperer

Posted 30 August 2005 - 08:52 PM

I have used my 4" mak for live video feeds and 35mm film on the Sun with good success but found the refractors to be even better. Too many heat waves internally for extended filming with the mak's. Try the Orion 80mm ED refractor, that might be a better choice.

#3 wilash

wilash

Fairy Godmother

Posted 30 August 2005 - 09:58 PM

My Russian 5" Mak is great. The cheap Chinese 80mm f/5 refractor is not. Both have a full-aperture filter.

#4 southmike

southmike

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 31 August 2005 - 01:54 PM

i have a mylar filter for my lx200 8 and just bought an orion glass filter for a nexstar 5 ..the 8 had a far, far better image,

though personally i think i am leaning toward a pst..but that is just me

#5 Mobius1

Mobius1

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 31 August 2005 - 04:23 PM

I have a white-light filter for my LX90 8" and I borrowed a lower-end H-alpha setup. The results were not bad in the least, but nothing compared with the view through my Coronado PST. I did some CCD imaging with the SCT, but if you're looking for a solar scope I would highly recommend the PST -superb views for $500. I have mine piggybacked on the LX90.

#6 southmike

southmike

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 01 September 2005 - 03:29 PM

things like solar flars and the like are too good to be missed ..and I have never really seen anything other then a few sunspots with the white light filters..the nice thing about a larger ap sct is the greater night time views but the pst is the way to get on solar unless you are really constrained by budget..then I would probably go the mylar route.

#7 Harry Pulley

Harry Pulley

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 01 September 2005 - 03:37 PM

For white light work there is a trade off in aperture between larger scopes giving you higher resolution but worse seeing during the day. I use both my scopes for solar work and the larger scope definitely has higher resolution. Thus, I'd get the 105 over the 90mm though of course the 125 or 7" would be even better.

For white light, my favorite filter material by far is Baader Solar Film. Glass and mylar are not good by comparison, though perhaps the ones I used before were just not high quality. For the price the Baader is excellent.

Harry

#8 southmike

southmike

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 03 September 2005 - 11:34 AM

also worth a note is the fact that both scopes i used were cats, I don't have any reliable means to test any of my refractors which I would think i would find the 102 to be superior to the nexstar 5 ...but so far I found my solar filters to still be interesting..the solar pics section can be quite helpfull in seeing some real world photo's to help give you an idea of what to expect..

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics