•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Goto Hy Score 3" 1300mmFL

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Steve_M_M

Steve_M_M

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 06 September 2005 - 08:12 AM

In case anyone missed this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/...RK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

Too bad the guy had the auction ending at 3am EDT...

#2 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 06 September 2005 - 08:19 AM

Yeah, I saw it...about 10x rarer than Unitrons of the same time. And with all of that documentation with it...Whoa.

I had the high bid all week until less than 1 minute to go at 600, then two scoundrels came in with less than a minute to go and bid 650 and 660 before I could get another bid in (dial-up, don't you know). It went for 660. I would have kept it, but its probably worth 750 to 950 depending on collector.

Uh well, matbe next time.

If all goes well though, I may have another 'new' classic to report on soon.

Keith

#3 Clive Gibbons

Clive Gibbons

Mostly Harmless

Posted 06 September 2005 - 12:53 PM

In case anyone missed this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/...RK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

Too bad the guy had the auction ending at 3am EDT...

Neat scope!
Looong alt-az. refractors are a bit of a bear, tho.
Lotsa jiggle with that yoke mount.
I once owned a Polarex 4" f/15 on a big yoke mount. It had decent optics, but the scope was virtually unusable for astronomical viewing, cuz the mount was too unstable.

Clive.

#4 Steve_M_M

Steve_M_M

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 06 September 2005 - 02:05 PM

Yes, I bid you up to $500, but then fell asleep waiting for 2am CDT to roll around. I was prepared to go to $750, but I suspect the high bidder would have gone higher. The timing of this auction cost the seller money.

This was the 1st 3" Hy Score I have seen on Ebay in years, so I will say 100x more rare :D

#5 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 06 September 2005 - 03:29 PM

Steve,

If it stayed under 500 I was gonna have it shipped here to OR, any more than that my Dad in PA would have picked up the tab and sold it at the Vernonscope auction next year.

I was really bummed...

I did pick up a little TOWA 60mm today for $35 with shipping, so I can report on that when I get it. NOT THE SAME, THOUGH...GRRR...You might have seen it on the same ebay page.

Keith

#6 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Gemini

Posted 06 September 2005 - 11:09 PM

Hi All,

I watched this one in passing interest. I actually used one of those some years back when one was donated to the Colorado Springs Astronomical Society. I ended up fixing it up, and had a bit of a challenge getting it in its cases into the back of a Jeep Cherokee. A LOT of length for a 3" diameter! It was "nostalgic" to use, but I found the TV Pronto I had concurrently to show as much on the Moon and planets, even with a bit of purple, and for wide field, the TV was much nicer! Scopes like the GOTO-Hyscore were why the Questar 3.5" was such a revolution when it came out.

That said, I certainly understand collecting and get as much fun out of seeing objects with classic scopes as anything else in the hobby. I'm presently playing around with a 1965 Celestron C10 which has excellent optics but lots of image shift in focusing and the primary always needs collimating, so some more work to do on that one. It's a whole lot of fun looking at the Moon knowing the scope saw first light when the very first Rangers were successful in sending pictures back, and man was still a few years from walking the rocky seas of Selene!

Dave

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics