•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Here we go......

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 January 2004 - 11:01 AM

Well, it finally arrived a week ago. After inflating my $250.00 budget to $400.00 our Orion 4.5 skyquest sits in the living room assembled and ready to go. With delivery delayed because of a storm and cloudy nights, my son has had lots of time to read "Turn left at Orion" and point out the things he wants to see. As an afterthought I purchased a 2x Barlow also. So, here we sit anxiously awaiting that elusive clear sky and looking at our ahh....his scope which to us looks massive but to most people here is pretty small. Thanks again for your previous comments and suggestions and I am sure to have more questions soon.
:waytogo:

#2 RGM

RGM

Apollo

Posted 29 January 2004 - 05:24 PM

I hope the skies clear up for you. Southern Ontario is getting a real winter this year. The jet-stream is lower and remaining there. Up where I live is clear and COLD. Very hard to view in either location. Anything above -10 is OK, and -5 is great. Let's hope that winter breaks early. Do not forget Feb 2nd - Ground Hog Day. That is the one day I hope for clouds. Bob

#3 jmoore

jmoore

Surveyor 1

Posted 29 January 2004 - 06:45 PM

Anything above -10 is OK, and -5 is great.

If you're talking Celsius, I'll go along with you OK. If you're talking Fahrenheit, you're nuts!!

Cobe...I remember when you were deliberating over your choices. Glad you finally got one, and I'm excited for you and your son to get out there. With that scope, the planets should look really really great (weather permitting, and with the right EPs, you'll get up around 200x no problem!), and you'll pull in some nice DSOs, too. M42 (the Orion nebula) looks amazing this time of year, even in a 80mm scope, so you'll love the view with 4.5".

But $400 for the SkyQuest 4.5? Oh yeah, you had the Canada $$ problem, right? shucks.

Good luck. Have fun!

jeff

#4 DenisY

DenisY

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 29 January 2004 - 06:48 PM

Anything above -10 is OK, and -5 is great.

If you're talking Celsius, I'll go along with you OK. If you're talking Fahrenheit, you're nuts!!

jeff

Hey!! Call me nuts but i did it at -22F! :)

#5 John_Gillies

John_Gillies

Surveyor 1

Posted 29 January 2004 - 07:20 PM

You asked for it Denis....Yer Nuts!

#6 RGM

RGM

Apollo

Posted 29 January 2004 - 07:23 PM

I was talking Celsius. But I have been out in -40 Celsius. My mount would hardly move. Not a good night nor a good idea. Bob

#7 DenisY

DenisY

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 29 January 2004 - 07:35 PM

LOL!! :lol:

#8 Buster

Buster

Messenger

Posted 29 January 2004 - 07:38 PM

Cobe,

Congrats on the XT4.5. i have one and it's a remarkable starter scope. You'll be able to see a heck of a lot of objects, and it's nice to have such a quick-to-setup, easy-to-move scope in temperatures that you are dealing with. Definitely post a report once you get it out!

#9 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 January 2004 - 07:52 PM

jmoore - Yea Canadian bucks but that included a new hardcover of "Turn left at Orion" the Barlow and the scope. It was the cheapest I could find up here in the great white north. :money:
Did someone mention aperature fever?

#10 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

Posted 29 January 2004 - 08:00 PM

Cobe,
Great news on the new scope :D

Let us all know how it works for you as soon as you run it through its paces.

Scott

#11 Bill Grass

Bill Grass

Prince Regent

Posted 29 January 2004 - 08:40 PM

Allright, Cobe! Congrats on the new scope. I'm sure you'll all enjoy it.

#12 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

Posted 29 January 2004 - 09:28 PM

You managed to keep the inflation to less than 2x your original budget? Outstanding! Most people who take advice from this crowd don't come away quite so lucky! :grin:

#13 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 January 2004 - 10:06 PM

You managed to keep the inflation to less than 2x your original budget? Outstanding! Most people who take advice from this crowd don't come away quite so lucky! :grin:

When I started looking at scopes, I almost bought a Orion Skyquest 4.5" dob. Then I kept reading and almost bought a Hardin 6" dob. Then I kept reading and finally bought a Hardin 8" dob. Guess what would have happened if I didn't buy the 8" dob and just kept reading? :question:

#14 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 29 January 2004 - 10:32 PM

I was dreaming my name was coming up for my astro-physics. Add that to a mount, a GOTO addition and we had some serious change. Figured a NexStar 11GPS at $3K was cheap! So that is route I went. Still waiting for the Astro-Physics. :whistle:

#15 Bill Grass

Bill Grass

Prince Regent

Posted 30 January 2004 - 09:35 AM

When I started looking at scopes, I almost bought a Orion Skyquest 4.5" dob. Then I kept reading and almost bought a Hardin 6" dob. Then I kept reading and finally bought a Hardin 8" dob. Guess what would have happened if I didn't buy the 8" dob and just kept reading? :question:

A 10" apo? :roflmao: :roflmao:

#16 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

Posted 30 January 2004 - 10:36 AM

How long would you need to read before you ended up with the Hubble?

#17 jmoore

jmoore

Surveyor 1

Posted 30 January 2004 - 11:02 AM

I was talking Celsius. But I have been out in -40 Celsius. My mount would hardly move. Not a good night nor a good idea. Bob

0 degrees F (about -18 C) is pretty much my limit, and at this temp, I'm hard-pressed to stay outside more than about 1/2 hr at a time. This was the temp last night, and I braved it to watch the moon for a bit, but I was not very comfortable.

I find about 10 degrees F to be much more tolerable for a couple hrs of continuous viewing (providing there's NO wind). This is still chillier than ideal, but at this time of year in the Midwest, you can't ask for much better, at least not with any frequency.

#18 Mark

Mark

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 30 January 2004 - 05:37 PM

I was out last night trying to take some shots of the moon with my digital camera through my C5. It was about 0deg F. I was doing fine but the fresh batteries in my camera pooped out in 15 minutes. That is what having no clear skies for a month will do to you.

Two neighbors walked by while I was out. They probably think I am nuts. We'll see if they avoid me from now on.

#19 werewolf6977

werewolf6977

Lord High Smasher

Posted 30 January 2004 - 05:57 PM

Hey, when my widdle pinkies start to freeze to my eps like last week, IT'S TOO **** COLD!!! :roflmao:WW

#20 Darren

Darren

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 January 2004 - 06:26 PM

Hey Cobe,

Congrats on the new scope. I'm assuming it's a Newt. What's the focal ratio? Is it a dob or an EQ? I've got a 4.5" Newt as well. Whereabouts in Sunny Southern Ontario are you? I'm in Newmarket. I was out a couple of weeks ago when it was -35 (at that point, whether it's Celsius or Fahrenheit is irrelevant). It was so cold my hands burned when I touched my ep's. Unfortunately, it's been snowing ever since. (But cross your fingers ... they're predicting a clear night tomorrow!)

#21 DenisY

DenisY

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 30 January 2004 - 08:42 PM

Darren would that prewdiction apply to Montreal Quebec? :help:

#22 RGM

RGM

Apollo

Posted 31 January 2004 - 07:55 AM

Darren, At least I was not the only one out during the cold snap last week. It is difficult to observe when you can not touch anything metal. Sounds like it is going to start to get a better.

#23 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 January 2004 - 05:17 PM

Darren - f7.9 dob. I'm in Sarnia and was out last night for the first time to check out the moon. -20 with the wind chill. 5 minutes and I was done but my son lasted a little longer. I can't wait until we can sit and relax and enjoy the sky. :cool:

#24 Darren

Darren

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 February 2004 - 05:17 PM

Sorry for not responding Sooner.

Denis, usually the weather systems move from west to east, so our weather today is usually your weather tomorrow. (BTW, I was born and raised in Montréal. Went to school in Pointe Claire. Great city. Best restaurants in Canada.)

Bob, I can't really say I like observing in extremely cold weather; seeing is generally pretty poor, and if you breathe, you fog up the EP. This will remain a problem for some time, as I've grown rather accustomed to breathing.

Cobe, it sounds like you've got the same OTA as I do. You have some amazing sights in store for you, especially if you can find a dark site close by.

Happy hunting all.

#25 DenisY

DenisY

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 06 February 2004 - 05:46 PM

No problem Darren. A Montréaler! YOOHOO!! I agree the restaurant are great here! Man the world can be sooo small! :)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics