•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Transporting your C14 Tube

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 loo27

loo27

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 07 September 2005 - 11:49 AM

How do you transport your c14 tube? I have a JMI case now, which is nigh vulnerable, but it adds bulk and weight, which reduces portability.

So, an informal poll for you c14 owners who take the big cat in the field often...how do you transport the tube? Bare tube? JMI Case? Soft Case? Have any horror stories to share? Things to avoid at all costs?

#2 Digital Don

Digital Don

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 07 September 2005 - 04:13 PM

Cliff,

I can't answer directly since I have a C11, but I transport my tube assembly in a 31 gallon Rubbermaid box.

I lined the bottom and sides with foam to keep the tube stable. The Rubbermaid box provides sufficient protection for transporting to a dark site but doesn't add much to the bulk or weight. Obviously its not as rugged as a JMI case, but it is a lot more portable.

I think I paid $15 for the Rubbermaid box, and larger ones are available at similar prices. You may want to look into this type of solution for the C14.

Good luck!

Don :usa:

#3 Doug

Doug

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 07 September 2005 - 06:47 PM

Cliff, A JMI case with the "All Terrain Wheel Upgrade". It's the only way to move that bad boy......Doug

Celestron CG-14
Celestron C6-R
TV102 / TV76
SolarMax 60 / BF-30
Losmandy G11

#4 JerryWise

JerryWise

Cosmos

Posted 07 September 2005 - 07:41 PM

Cliff, I had a case for my LX200 14. I felt like I was moving a mobile home around with it loaded up. I had my wife make a Sunbrella cover with white felt lining for the C14. It has zippers and fits it like a glove. I picked up one of those straps with the soft handle you see for large suitcases in airports. It wraps around the OTA and Velcros back on itself tightly. With the Sunbrella cover on and the strap around it I pick it up by the strap and diagonal protrusion and carry it around like a big rather overfed child.

#5 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 07 September 2005 - 07:45 PM

One of our club members (who's since moved to CA) kept his C14 OTA in a arge Rubbermaid container which he had lined with eggshell foam - nice snug fit, and lightweight.

#6 southmike

southmike

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 08 September 2005 - 01:56 AM

add a dolly/ hand truck and a nylon strap for easy over the ground transport ..but those big 14 inch scopes are more pickup transported by the time the rest of the gear is there.

#7 loo27

loo27

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 08 September 2005 - 12:35 PM

Thanks all! If you read my astromart article, I really like the pelican case 1650 and the JMI case for moving the set up from house to deck, but found when put in my hatchback, it was a little awkward with the JMI case. I didn't even try the pelican case, the case itself weights about 30lbs, loaded up with the CGE mount about 80lbs. Too much for this old back.

#8 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 09 September 2005 - 12:59 AM

Cliff,

I can't answer directly since I have a C11, but I transport my tube assembly in a 31 gallon Rubbermaid box.

I lined the bottom and sides with foam to keep the tube stable. The Rubbermaid box provides sufficient protection for transporting to a dark site but doesn't add much to the bulk or weight. Obviously its not as rugged as a JMI case, but it is a lot more portable.

I think I paid $15 for the Rubbermaid box, and larger ones are available at similar prices. You may want to look into this type of solution for the C14.

Good luck!

Hi Don,

I'm looking for exactly the same thing for my C11. Do you have a link to the rubbermaid box? I couldn't locate it on their website.

Thanks,

- Kam

#9 Digital Don

Digital Don

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 09 September 2005 - 09:36 PM

Hi Kam,

I couldn't find it on Rubbermaid's site either. My container came from Target and cost about $15 or so. It originally had a Rubbermaid label that said it has a capacity of 31 gallons.

A picture is about the best I can do...

Attached Thumbnails

• 593603-C11 Box.jpg

#10 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 10 September 2005 - 03:11 AM

Thanks, Don, that'll be a big help in tracking one down.

- Kam

#11 norscot

norscot

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 10 September 2005 - 06:06 AM

The great advantage of a C14 over comparable (i.e. Meade) scopes is that each component is manageable by one person, and one person it all it takes to assemble it in the field. Put the OTA in one of these boxes and I don't think that's true anymore. I simply put it on the back seat of my car and wrap it in a blanket - the tripod and mount components go in the trunk. The CGE mount I've now got is much easier to stow away in the car than the old fork mount was, but the OTA still goes on the back seat.
Cheers
Rick

#12 Digital Don

Digital Don

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 11 September 2005 - 03:42 PM

Hi Kam,

This weekend's Target ad has the 35 gallon 'Rubbermaid Latch Tote' on sale for about 13 bucks!

I have a quick release finder bracket on my C11 and remove the finder during transport. But if you want to keep your finder attached, the 35 gallon version is probably better. It's about the same length and width, but it's taller.

Good luck!

#13 Digital Don

Digital Don

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 13 September 2005 - 03:16 PM

Menard's has the 31 gallon for $10.

#14 Syzygy

Syzygy

Surveyor 1

Posted 13 September 2005 - 03:50 PM

Just a brief observation from a 11" CAT owner. My NS11 is heavy enough to haul out and secure to the mount. Do all of you 14" owners lift weights in your spare time? :grin:

You Big CAT owners rock! :bow:

#15 Doug

Doug

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 14 September 2005 - 05:33 AM

Hi John, I don't lift weights in my spare time. Actually my CG-14 OTA might weigh less then your NS11. It weighs in at 39 lbs. I don't have the additional weight of the fork to deal with, so setting it up and breaking it down isn't bad at all.....Doug

Celestron CG-14
Celestron C6-R
TV102 / TV76
SolarMax 60 / BF-30
Losmandy G11

#16 Syzygy

Syzygy

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 September 2005 - 05:44 AM

Wow! Guess I forgot about the fork. :foreheadslap: That's just a few pounds over half of what I'm hefting. I haven't weighed mine, but I'll guess it's around 75 pounds with all the extra gear I have on it.

I stand corrected, Doug. :grin:

BTW: Nice setup!

#17 ForgottenMObject

ForgottenMObject

Soyuz

Posted 16 September 2005 - 07:52 AM

I still say that they are filling the forks of modern SCT's with lead or something - amazing how heavy they are!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics