•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

I finally found a reducer/flattener that works!

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Phil Hosey  Happy Birthday!

Phil Hosey

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Billings, Montana

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:11 PM

The William Optics Field Flattener 4, which OPT calls the P-Flat 4 is the one that finally gives me .8x reduction and round stars right to the edge of my Canon 450D. I'm using this with the AT111EDT. The other reducer/flatteners that I've tried are the WO FF/FR II, the TV TRF-2008 and the TV RFL4087. (Ok, well technically I tried the RFL4087 with my 102ED, but as bad as it was with that scope I can't imagine it would have worked well with the AT111). I'm surprised at how little I could find about this combination. The only reason I decided to take a chance on it was because I saw a post somewhere that someone had used this flattener with the AT111 so I decided to shell out the nearly $300 for it. Here's a link to a full res image taken with the AT111 and the WO FLAT4, this is a single 120 second sub of M8, converted to jpg and uploaded.
Link

The thing about this reducer/flattener is that it is adjustable. I currently have it set to 76mm. I think this looks pretty darned good, but I would imagine I would have to tweak it a bit if I went with a larger sensor. All I can say is that I'm pretty stoked right now. :woohoo:
  • leveye, 17.5Dob, bsavoie and 2 others like this

#2 Renae Gage

Renae Gage

Apollo

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:02 AM

Looking good. I may need to pick one up.

#3 SMigol

SMigol

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:41 AM

I saw someone at Calstar with one of these on a 110 F7 scope. Worked very well with an aps-c sensor. I've been looking for a good reducer for my oddball scope, so I may have to order one of these someday.

#4 SKYGZR

SKYGZR

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Speeding towards the Virgo Supercluster

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:52 AM

I also purchased one of these, yet beware..may not come to focus in one's tube. So far, the only tube that it will work with is the AT72. All others (in my sig) don't work. I am considering lopping off about 2" from the SN8's primary end to get it to work with that, the others, no modifications planned.

Should I modify the SN, I will still be able to achieve focus without using the WO by simply adding an additional extension tube that is also needed for the AT72 when not using the WO.

FWIW, I checked that it did in fact work with that tube, yet have yet to actually hook up the T1i and gather photons with that setup.

#5 SMigol

SMigol

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:32 AM

Hmm, good point. My scope is an f6 so there may be issues. I should find someone local that has this device and try it someday. In the meantime, I can always do a mosaic -- it just takes twice as long!

#6 terry59

terry59

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colorado, USA

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:15 AM

That looks good Phil. It shouldn't be this difficult or expensive to find equipment that works together! :rant:

#7 Wm Rison

Wm Rison

Vostok 1

• Loc: Newburg, Maryland

Posted 25 July 2015 - 01:35 PM

I just got the WO FLAT4 for my AP 130 GT and it works great.  Here is a test image.

http://ip.miltonhill...4_72 JPG 01.jpg

Used a Canon 60Da with the FLAT4 set at 72.

• View2 and KeithL55 like this

#8 Jon Rista

Jon Rista

Hubble

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 25 July 2015 - 02:35 PM

Looking real good! Those corner stars are mighty round. When you say it's adjustable...is it the extension that adjusts? That would be a really handy feature on most reducers. It's difficult enough to get exactly the right spacers, down to the millimeter, to fully flatten the field for each unique setup. I'm off by about a millimeter and a half with my AT8RC and TSRCFlat2...not sure how I'm going to resolve that. :p

#9 piaras

piaras

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Niagara Region

Posted 26 July 2015 - 10:20 AM

The idea of adjustablity built into the reducer would seem to be a no brainer. But does not seem to happen except in this case. A small helical adjuster would be a simple item to make and offer I would of thought.

Pierre

Edited by piaras, 28 July 2015 - 09:03 AM.

#10 Wm Rison

Wm Rison

Vostok 1

Posted 26 July 2015 - 01:51 PM

The adjustment adjusts the distance from the back of the lens to the camera.  I don't think the numbers are very useful but the adjustment feature so far makes the flattener / reducer work 2 of my scopes.  I have nice round stars at the corners of the images using the following so far.

Astro-Physics 130 EDF GT, 130mm APO F.L. 819mm.

Vixen FL102S, 102mm APO F.L. 920mm.

I used the same camera on both scopes, a Canon 60Da, and found the exact same spacing, 72, worked for both scopes.

This make me think the adjustment once set for a camera will work with any scope I use. 

Am going to try my Stellarvue SV80S F.L. 480mm and see what it does, even though it is less than the 500mm the FLAT4 is stated to work with.

• bsavoie likes this

#11 Wm Rison

Wm Rison

Vostok 1

Posted 28 July 2015 - 11:49 AM

Almost worked on my Stellarvue SV80S with a focal length of 480mm.

I got nice round stars with the FLAT4 set at 86 using an artificial star about 20 feet from the scope.

Took the scope out under the stars and found I could not get enough infocus, needed another 6mm or so.

It was interesting that I had to change the setting from 72 to 86 with this scope, there goes my theory about

the setting is based on the camera distance from the lens. 

Hope to try it on a Borg 125SD this weekend.

#12 bsavoie

bsavoie

Messenger

• Loc: North Alabama 35747

Posted 12 June 2017 - 05:33 PM

I wanted a reducer for my Explore Scientific ED127 127mm f/7.5 Carbon Fiber Triplet, I had heard William Optics 2" APO Adjustable Field Flattener for 500 mm - 1000 mm Telescopes - P-FLAT4 would work. Three nights ago I connected the two and it works great. I used an eyepiece to get my scope to Cor Caroli, pull off the diagonal and 2 inch eyepiece, and put in the P-Flat4, t-ring and Nikon D5200 in live view did about 30 seconds worth of adjusting. Once the stars were small, clear, and well defined, I was done.

So far I am happy with my P-flat4, but my backyard is full of trees, so I don't have full access to the sky. Kind of hard to find big targets like M44 (95 arc-minutes), so after four nights, I will switch it back into storage, and put my scope back to f/7.5 to get more Galaxies like M51.

I am new (3 years) to astronomy, but field flatterers are somewhat low on my needs of must have. First is a good GEM mount, then a good refractor.. not so sure about filters.., I will need to learn Pixinsight and start connecting all this information in some kind of rational way.. Astronomy is complicated!

Bill

• View2 likes this

#13 RRod

RRod

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Green Bay, WI

Posted 15 June 2017 - 10:10 AM

I wanted a reducer for my Explore Scientific ED127 127mm f/7.5 Carbon Fiber Triplet, I had heard William Optics 2" APO Adjustable Field Flattener for 500 mm - 1000 mm Telescopes - P-FLAT4 would work. Three nights ago I connected the two and it works great. I used an eyepiece to get my scope to Cor Caroli, pull off the diagonal and 2 inch eyepiece, and put in the P-Flat4, t-ring and Nikon D5200 in live view did about 30 seconds worth of adjusting. Once the stars were small, clear, and well defined, I was done.

So far I am happy with my P-flat4, but my backyard is full of trees, so I don't have full access to the sky. Kind of hard to find big targets like M44 (95 arc-minutes), so after four nights, I will switch it back into storage, and put my scope back to f/7.5 to get more Galaxies like M51.

I am new (3 years) to astronomy, but field flatterers are somewhat low on my needs of must have. First is a good GEM mount, then a good refractor.. not so sure about filters.., I will need to learn Pixinsight and start connecting all this information in some kind of rational way.. Astronomy is complicated!

Bill

Hi Bill

That is very good news. I actually have the ES 0.7X and I have problems correcting the vignetting. However, I also have the WO P-FLAT 4. Since this is an adjustable flattener, could you provide with the number you are using with your scope? I have the ES 127 FCD100, so it should be the same. 

Thank you

Rodrigo

#14 bsavoie

bsavoie

Messenger

• Loc: North Alabama 35747

Posted 16 June 2017 - 12:58 AM

Yes, Rodrigo.

I have my P-Flat 4 set for 76. Half way between the 66 and 86. I think I started with 71, as I read that someone found that worked for them. Using live view mode of my Nikon camera, it seemed that 76 was best for me. I am not an expert, and I have yet to start PixInsight, so you may find a different value works best. If that happens.. be sure to post it back here. Thanks Rodrigo..

Bill

• View2 likes this

#15 jwheel

jwheel

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Fort Davis TX

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:06 AM

waytogo.gif

#16 RRod

RRod

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 16 June 2017 - 11:20 AM

Thank you. I will try your settings as soon as the weather allows 

Rodrigo 

#17 View2

View2

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Vancouver, WA USA

Posted 17 June 2017 - 02:18 AM

Excellent post. I've been looking at the ES .7x FF/FR  for a while, but have heard it had issues...not exactly made for the f/7.5 ES127. After reading this post, I am going to definitely look into the P-Flat 4. Starting a a setting of ~76 as per Bill's advice...thanks!

Bill, If you're not committed to PixInsight (PI) yet, Astro Pixel Processor (APP) is a bit easier to learn I'd say.  Somewhere between DSS and PI. They have a free 30 trial also.

• bsavoie likes this

#18 17.5Dob

17.5Dob

Gemini

• Loc: Colorado,USA

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:46 PM

Thanks for the heads up, this sounds very promising waytogo.gif

#19 RRod

RRod

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:02 PM

Hi Bill

Finally, I tested the WO FTL4 set at 76 with my ES 127mm FCD100 and it works wonderful. Stars are round all the way to the edge of the frame and the vigneting is very easy corrected with flats. My field of view is not as wide as with the ES 0.7x but it performs better, so I will get rid of the ES reducer.

Thank you for the advice

Rodrigo

• bsavoie likes this

#20 leveye

leveye

Gemini

• Loc: Central Oregon Coast

Posted 17 July 2017 - 04:36 PM

Good to know! I've only have luck so far with an AT2FF with a 600mm f6 scope. Super sharp in the very corners but it's certainly not adjustable like this one here.

#21 HockeyGuy

HockeyGuy

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Vaughan, ON, Canada

Posted 17 July 2017 - 05:42 PM

Very nice! I would kill to yield stars that round in my 80mm APO. Your persistence has payed off waytogo.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics