•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

6mm Delos, TV Radian, UO HD ortho and 3 - 6 Zoom

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
42 replies to this topic

#26 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:59 PM

Wouldn't outside FOV test also be dependent on the humidity in the atmosphere?

#27 ausastronomer

ausastronomer

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:21 PM

Wouldn't outside FOV test also be dependent on the humidity in the atmosphere?

Hi John,

It probably is but the humidity doesn't change from one eyepiece tested to the next, so the results are still comparative. Similarly, the bright star "halo" can be dependent on humidity, but that doesn't change from one eyepiece to the next, so again the results are still comparative.

One eyepiece will be best, one eyepiece will be worst and the others will be somewhere in between.

Cheers,

#28 ibase

ibase

Aurora

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:41 PM

Hoping that someone comes out with a definitive sticky thread (or is there one already) that deals with attributes and EP jargon like scatter, light control, baffling, halo, ghosting, throughput, rectilinear distortion, pincushion, barrel distortion, light transmission, astigmatism, ring-of-fire, flaring, AMD, eye relief, eye-cement, field stop, field curvature, field brightening, vignetting, beaning, blackouts, contrast, brightness, sharpness, tone, warm, neutral, coffee tone, filter, edge distortion, seagulls, FOV, AFOV, fast scopes, slow scopes, focal ratio, speed , barlowing, OCA, binoviewing, IPD, Paracorr, on/off-axis, lateral color, in-focus, out-focus, parfocal, coating, muli-coating, wide-field, straw-vision, spacewalk, expansive, immersive, symmetrical, modular, zoom, pseudo-zoom, etc., etc. Would be very useful especially for those just starting out to make hay of EP forum posts and also eliminate confusion in the interpretation of certain terms often used in different threads.

Best,

#29 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:51 AM

... not to mention back-focus. :scratchhead:

Mike

#30 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:32 AM

C'mon, it's so easy! Backfocus means the opposite of what backfocus means. :lol:

#31 Kutno

Kutno

Surveyor 1

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:09 AM

Well I can tell you the Radian is in this fight right up to it's ears. ... I like the new DELOS a lot but I can tell you the 6mm Radian is also impressing me on these bright high contrast targets.

John,

I smiled when I read this because many who write here have trumpeted the virtues of Radians. Their edge-to-edge sharpness, contrast and scatter control are well-known to those whose geography make the Moon and the planets their primary targets. The 6mm Radian is one of the three I have had the most experience with - the others being the 4mm and 8mm Radians - and will again say that Radians will not disappoint those who acquire them.

#32 ensign

ensign

Apollo

• -----

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:43 AM

I had two Radians - 3 and 4 mm and they provided excellent views of the planets. I sold them and got the 3-6mm zoom instead. I find it to be comparable in terms of optical performance to the Radians, although I do miss that 20mm of eye relief, and the apparent field is somewhat less.

Having the zoom is like having 4 good quality Plossls in my eyepiece case. I use the zoom mainly with my 80 grab and go/travel scope.

#33 george tatsis

george tatsis

Apollo

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:06 PM

The Nagler zoom is one heck of an eyepiece.However, I had to let it go because it was prone to dewing up more than any other eyepiece I have ever known. Had it not been for this problem, it would still be in my stall :(

#34 kkokkolis

kkokkolis

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:16 PM

George, that thread opens my appetite for Delos.

#35 george tatsis

george tatsis

Apollo

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:10 PM

George, that thread opens my appetite for Delos.

These guys are up to no good here, you know that right?
I'll let you know the moment the truck pulls over ! ;)

#36 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:50 PM

The Nagler zoom is one heck of an eyepiece.However, I had to let it go because it was prone to dewing up more than any other eyepiece I have ever known. Had it not been for this problem, it would still be in my stall :(

Then I suppose Nagler zooms are out for me. It gets very dewy here in Maryland. After a night at my dark site, the equipment looks like somebody threw it all in a swimming pool! I always bring a bag of old towels to wipe the dew off the astro stuff before I stow it in my crossover and go home.

Heat-strips protect the optics, but the outside of everything is dripping. Would heat-strips be able to keep up with the Naglers?

:grin:
Mike

#37 ausastronomer

ausastronomer

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:03 AM

None of them cut through cloud :confused:

Hoping for good skies this coming weekend. I am heading to Coonabarabran with a group of 22 Canadians from RASC, who are over here for Wednesday's eclipse.

Hopefully this stable of fine eyepieces can suck up some photons on the weekend.

Cheers,

#38 BDS316

BDS316

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:30 AM

I too just obtained a 6mm Delos. My stable is a bit thin at 6mm, consisting of the Delos, a 6mm University Plossl, a 6mm Brandon, a 6mm Pentax SMC Ortho, a 6mm UO Abbe Ortho and a 6mm TMB Supermono.

Regards,

Jim

:funny: :rofl2:

Jim, you need another 6mm eyepiece like Tom Brady needs another woman.

#39 rocketride

rocketride

Vendor/TeleVue

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:45 PM

. . . walked into a bar.

#40 Edwin

Edwin

Messenger

• -----

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:44 PM

Any progress already ? I'm very interested in your results, especially the comparison between the Delos and Radian.

#41 george tatsis

george tatsis

Apollo

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:56 PM

Any progress already ? I'm very interested in your results, especially the comparison between the Delos and Radian.

Same here!

#42 Pinbout

Pinbout

ISS

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:08 PM

. . . walked into a bar.

now that could be very funny, but I thought it was more like sesame street where one of these is not like the others, one of these things just doesnt belong.

#43 ausastronomer

ausastronomer

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:38 PM

Hi all,

Unfortunately the weather just has not co operated. Over the past month I have had 2.5 clear nights and of the 2 nights I had to work during the same period, the work nights coincided with clear skies, so I have basically had 1/2 a night with these eyepieces in a month.

What is very dissappointing is that this is not typical of my normal weather conditions.

I have asked the people the three people who have loaned me eyepieces, if I can hang on to them for a couple more weeks, hoping for some decent weather.

Be rest assured as soon as I can get them under the stars again, I will report back.

Cheers,

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics