•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Help! Choosing between 10" LX5, 8" LX10 or C8 !!!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 September 2005 - 03:29 PM

What is the best of these scopes - can someone highlight the pros and cons of each please! I am making a decision very soon and it is very hard to come to conclusions based on my internet research. Thank you VERY much!!!

Cheers,
-jim
Royal Astronomical Society of Canada Member
Halifax, Nova Scotia Centre

#2 khoferer

khoferer

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 08 September 2005 - 04:19 PM

Hi Jim,

If you haven't seen it yet, Rod Mollise has a very useful pdf covering used SCT's. The link is http://members.aol.c...ISE/index4.html just scroll down until you see the Guide to Used SCT's (you can't miss it) and download it. A lot of useful information.

There are many "C8's" - which one were you considering? I believe the LX5 is quite an old model and you can certainly find a newer C8 or LX10. That said, usually more aperture is the best way to go if the scope is in good condition.

Clear skies,
Kevin

#3 southmike

southmike

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 09 September 2005 - 11:12 AM

what are your goals for these scopes...imaging , visual,

for the prices of a lot of these go for .i would go for a classic lx200..huge value for the dollar.

But then you can look at my sig and tell that....I actually bid on two of them that were only 10 minutes apart..and unfortunatly you can not stop a snipe bid 5 minutes out. but I got really good prices on them so I am happy.

so the real question is what is the max you want to spend?

#4 BluewaterObserva

BluewaterObserva

Fly Me to the Moon

• ***--

Posted 09 September 2005 - 02:23 PM

Warning, warning, blatent thread hijack.

Southmike, how cool is that? You have an st120 on your 10" LX200???? Any pics of that combo? Maybe pm me the link to not further hijack this thread please.
I use one on my 17.5" EQ, but have always sort of held to the st80's on 13.1" scopes or smaller.

For the 30"r I went for the st150... :)

#5 southmike

southmike

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 09 September 2005 - 09:41 PM

here is one group pic with the 120 on the 10
the 80ed is not mounted but there...not the greatest pic
doesn't have the millburn or the superwedge out.

Attached Thumbnails

• 593608-434860-abluenight.jpg

#6 TeamGS

TeamGS

Gemini

Posted 09 September 2005 - 10:39 PM

Hey Jim,
I am sorry, but I cannot really comment on any of your selections, but I can second the Mike's suggestion of the LX200 classics. PINPOINT GOTO, great visual tracking, and decent tracking for imaging. PEC, autoguider input, etc.

Regards,

Gary

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics