•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Clark refractor on Astromart

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 Kenny

Kenny

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 08 September 2005 - 08:21 PM

There is a 3" f/15 Clark refractor for sale on the "antiques and collectors" part of Astromart. It looks really nice with 1/11 wave optics and an old GEM with wood tripod legs. I am not a member, so I don't know the price or location (can someone help with that?), but I just thought that some people here would like to know incase they are collectors, or they just want to look at Mars through a Clark refractor.

Ken.

#2 bierbelly

bierbelly

Voyager 1

Posted 08 September 2005 - 08:50 PM

There is a 3" f/15 Clark refractor for sale on the "antiques and collectors" part of Astromart. It looks really nice with 1/11 wave optics and an old GEM with wood tripod legs. I am not a member, so I don't know the price or location (can someone help with that?), but I just thought that some people here would like to know incase they are collectors, or they just want to look at Mars through a Clark refractor.

Ken.

It's "make me an offer".

#3 Kenny

Kenny

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 08 September 2005 - 09:26 PM

Ken.

It's "make me an offer".

So I guess he doesn't have any idea what it is worth either. Does anyone know of any past Clark sales that might indicate the current market value, or are these things so rare that it's a complete toss-up?

#4 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 08 September 2005 - 10:43 PM

Last time someone said "make me an offer" they were in a black van full of speakers 'left over from a delivery'. Hmmmmm. :shrug:

#5 Clive Gibbons

Clive Gibbons

Mostly Harmless

Posted 09 September 2005 - 07:51 AM

Ken.

It's "make me an offer".

So I guess he doesn't have any idea what it is worth either. Does anyone know of any past Clark sales that might indicate the current market value, or are these things so rare that it's a complete toss-up?

OTOH, he might have an idea what it's worth, but would prefer if a Clark refractor aficionado (or two) would
make him an outrageously high offer (or two).
Antique dealers sometimes do this. No price tag on something and when you ask what they want for an item, they smile and say "make me an offer". :grin:

#6 matt

matt

Vendor (Scopemania)

Posted 09 September 2005 - 08:45 AM

I hate "make me an offer". But I do enjoy insulting back the guys who said my offer was an insult.

#7 seaspace

seaspace

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 September 2005 - 09:05 AM

There is a Clark refactor for sell on eBay so in a week we should know at least what an optical tube will bring.
------------------
:shrug:
Allan

#8 Clive Gibbons

Clive Gibbons

Mostly Harmless

Posted 09 September 2005 - 09:20 AM

There is a Clark refactor for sell on eBay so in a week we should know at least what an optical tube will bring.
------------------
:shrug:
Allan

Oh, myyyy....
Do you get the idea this guy is wondering why folks are bidding *way* over $149 for his big 'ol brass pipe??? :shocked:
That picture of the OTA standing lens-side down on the gravel is slightly distressing. :bawling:
Any other antique scope lovers cringing at that?!?

Hopefully, he won't demolish the thing before the auction is done.

#9 seaspace

seaspace

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 September 2005 - 09:32 AM

Yea, I knew that to rescue it was beyond my means. It should be in a museum.

--------------------------
Allan

#10 Clive Gibbons

Clive Gibbons

Mostly Harmless

Posted 09 September 2005 - 11:01 AM

Yea, I knew that to rescue it was beyond my means. It should be in a museum.

--------------------------
Allan

A few things that makes me wonder about this scope's provenance:
It has no mounting, but shows signs (tube wear) of being used on one. No finderscope, but rings are attached to the OTA. No accessories, apart from what's included with the OTA (diagonal and one ocular).
No wooden storage case.

Kinda like it made a quick departure from it's original surroundings... :(

#11 Clive Gibbons

Clive Gibbons

Mostly Harmless

Posted 09 September 2005 - 11:17 AM

Apologies for following up my own post, but the eBay seller *is* offering a mounting:
http://cgi.ebay.com/...emZ7545219917QQ

He suggests it was "possibly" used with the telescope he's selling.
No sign of a pedestal, tripod, or counterweights.

All this equipment could have been picked at a country auction, where the auctioneer had no clue what the item was. Looks like the seller doesn't know much more...

Good luck to any bidders!

#12 mooreorless

mooreorless

Just worried

Posted 09 September 2005 - 05:16 PM

Hi Clive,It would not surprise me if this Clark OTA goes well over the $2000 or so it is at now,with 6 days left.
Steve M

#13 Alan French

Alan French

Night Owl

Posted 09 September 2005 - 08:36 PM

I saw the 3" Clark that Peter has listed on Astromart on The Conjunction two weekends ago. It provided nice views of the Sun through a Herschel wedge. I wish I had known he was thinking of selling it - I might have made an offer, although I suspect it will go for more than it is worth to me (as much as I'd like to have a 3" or 4" Clark).

I am not sure exactly how a late 3" Clark fits into the scheme of things as far as collectors go.

Clear skies, Alan

#14 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 10 September 2005 - 09:22 AM

Well people, the ebay Clark is at $4300 with about 5 days to go. Any guesses at ten grand?

#15 Steve_M_M

Steve_M_M

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 10 September 2005 - 01:22 PM

The seller of the 3" on Astromart has offers for the scope and mount of $4,000.

#16 DARKMATTER

DARKMATTER

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 10 September 2005 - 06:17 PM

Could you post a URL?
Thanks
Simon

#17 DARKMATTER

DARKMATTER

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 10 September 2005 - 06:18 PM

Found IT!!
Thanks

#18 Alan French

Alan French

Night Owl

Posted 10 September 2005 - 09:00 PM

I guess Clarks are continuing to go up. Long, long ago I figured about $500/inch, and more recently $1000/inch, but it looks like some revision is in order.

The one on eBay doesn't look like it is in very good shape. The photo of the lens was reather frightening.

Clear skies, Alan

#19 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 10 September 2005 - 10:09 PM

Alan,

Your name sounds familiar. Do you know a Rodger Gordon in Pennsylvania?

Keith

#20 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 15 September 2005 - 07:51 PM

Well, I guessed $10,000 for the eBay scope, but didn't factor in the rough condition and handling of the barrel, etc. Still, $5,700 for a scope that needs a bondo and paint job is nothing to sneeze at. I hope whoever bought it returns it to its former self.

#21 Alan French

Alan French

Night Owl

Posted 17 September 2005 - 07:28 PM

Alan,

Your name sounds familiar. Do you know a Rodger Gordon in Pennsylvania?

Keith

Keith,

Yes, I have bumped into Rodger from time to time over the years.

Clear skies, Alan

#22 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators

Posted 22 October 2005 - 07:56 PM

Last time someone said "make me an offer" they were in a black van full of speakers 'left over from a delivery'. Hmmmmm. :shrug:

I have had that happen to me twice, once when I was working in a store and once at a gas station.

#23 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators

Posted 22 October 2005 - 07:57 PM

I hate "make me an offer". But I do enjoy insulting back the guys who said my offer was an insult.

:lol: nice...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics