•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Stargazer Steve's 10 inch Truss Scope?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 January 2004 - 11:46 AM

I haven't seen a review anywhere of Stargazer Steve's 10 inch truss scope (http://stargazer.isys.ca/10inch.html)... just wondering if anyone has any experiences/thoughts on it. At about $1350 it seems like a good combination of aperture, price, and portability... I can't find a 10 inch dobsonian that I can transport in my car due to the bases on them.

Any thoughts?

#2 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 January 2004 - 01:30 PM

I've no experience of it. However it is very interesting to see Barry Leger's design http://personal.nbne...a/bleger/scope/ being taken up all over the place. It's certainly becoming very popular!

It does look pretty good for the money though and I doubt you can beat a truss tube design for portability. If you have the necessary woodworking skills (or a friend who is willing to help) I'm sure you could put something similar together for a lot less. But don't let that put you off! :jump:

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers,

Mike

#3 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

Posted 30 January 2004 - 03:09 PM

Steve makes pretty darn good scopes, but I have never actually seen one. They come recomended from Dyer and Dickinson and their book "The Backyard Astronomers Guide"

LivingNDixie

#4 matt

matt

Vendor (Scopemania)

Posted 30 January 2004 - 05:30 PM

We could discuss this on the ATM forum, but it looks like for apertures 10" and under wood is an OK material for truss poles...

#5 Relativist

Relativist

Cosmos

Posted 02 February 2004 - 06:20 AM

My opinion is that if you have $1350 to spend on a scope then try and buy a used 12.5" truss Dob astromart.

.........Curtis

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics