•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Small bore challenge: Jupiter w/ 6" or less

• Please log in to reply
1918 replies to this topic

#1801 KiwiRay

KiwiRay

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Seattle, USA

Posted 13 July 2019 - 10:11 PM

AS!3 has an RGB align check box too, but using this is not the same as correcting dispersion with an ADC.  If you search, you'll find topics explaining why, and demonstrating that an ADC will give sharper images than just using RGB align.

#1802 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Soyuz

• ***--
  • Loc: Waltham, MA

Posted 14 July 2019 - 12:50 PM

Here is my most recent images of Jupiter. First image is taken with my AT60ED F/6 (working at F/30) APO refractor, 5X barlow, Neximage 5 camera, iCap 2.3 app, Autostakkert!3 and Registax 6.

jupiter0005 19-07-13 22-52-54_lapl6_ap15_conv.jpg

This next image is same set up, but using my Nexstar 6SE with no barlow, working at F/10:

jupiter0016 19-07-14 00-16-46_lapl6_ap21_conv_redo.jpg

• BKBrown, TerryWood, Bomber Bob and 3 others like this

#1803 droe

droe

Viking 1

• Loc: Fenton, Mi

Posted 14 July 2019 - 09:18 PM

Was checking out Jupiter with my 127mm refractor but did not have my imaging equipment out so I used my cellphone and took this. By far not a great photo but nice with a cellphone camera. 

Attached Thumbnails

• JupiterPhone.jpg

Edited by droe, 14 July 2019 - 09:24 PM.

• cgilber, eros312, BKBrown and 6 others like this

#1804 willian

willian

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 15 July 2019 - 05:42 AM

You've got some really good data there, Willian. I wonder if you've tried doing a colour balance, something you can do in Registax, but which can come out better in programs like Photoshop. The images are nicely detailed, but look a little gloomy. This is all a matter of taste of course, and what you've got is fine, but here's what I get from your image with "Auto Color" in Photoshop, and a little increase in saturation.

attachicon.gif post-203873-0-43072300-1562952842ed.png

Yes, you' re right....I missed this step during this image processing...usually I split RGB channels in fitswork, do some adjustments and combine again, but these images are out from registax... I will need to re process them all...now I'm trying to create a HDR image from TSE that I obseeved from La Serena.

Thank you!!
Best regards,
Willian

Sent from my SM-G9600 using Tapatalk
  • KiwiRay likes this

#1805 cornelis

cornelis

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Switzerland

Posted 15 July 2019 - 12:38 PM

Another attempt at Jupiter using my Tak FC-76DS with 2x Powermate. Processed in AS! and PixInsight with some final touches in Affinity Photo adding saturation:

get.jpg?insecure

clear skies

Edited by cornelis, 15 July 2019 - 01:19 PM.

• BKBrown, Stargazer3236, WarmWeatherGuy and 4 others like this

#1806 jrbuchanan

jrbuchanan

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 15 July 2019 - 01:14 PM

Here is my contribution to this thread.  I captured this image of Jupiter on July 12th.  Taken with Celstron NextStar 6se with 3x barlow lens and ZWO 224 camera.  Stacked the best 50% of 6000 frames in autostakkert, then wavelet adjustment in Registax and final touches in Photoshop.  Still learning the post processing but making progress.

Attached Thumbnails

• jupiter-2-07122019.png

• eros312, BKBrown, Stargazer3236 and 9 others like this

#1807 Toddeo

Toddeo

Viking 1

• Loc: Sierra Vista, AZ

Posted 15 July 2019 - 04:57 PM

Taken on 7/14/19. Seeing was fair-We are in our "Monsoon Season"-lots of clouds! Scope is a C6 sct on a SE mount, ZWO ASI120MC, Sharpcap/Registax.

Attached Thumbnails

• c6-3.jpg
  • as-45-49+30.jpg
  • AS_stack_42-27-small.jpg

• eros312, BKBrown, Kokatha man and 9 others like this

#1808 KiwiRay

KiwiRay

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Seattle, USA

Posted 16 July 2019 - 02:53 PM

Very nice, Todd, but colour balance is off - looks quite pink to me.

#1809 Toddeo

Toddeo

Viking 1

Posted 16 July 2019 - 03:02 PM

Very nice, Todd, but colour balance is off - looks quite pink to me.

My desk top computer shows it as "tan".  Maybe I'll have to try and calibrate the monitor.

#1810 Toddeo

Toddeo

Viking 1

Posted 16 July 2019 - 03:10 PM

Taken - on 7/15/19 with a Questar 3.5", Zwo ASI120MC.  Sharpcap and Registax.

Attached Thumbnails

• Q3.-0-38+40.jpg-3.jpg
  • ES BARLOW-3.jpg
  • 04-large.jpg-super.jpg

• Tavi F., eros312, BKBrown and 10 others like this

#1811 TerryWood

TerryWood

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: USA

Posted 19 July 2019 - 12:34 AM

Here's one from tonight using my Questar 3.5 and ZWO 178MM camera. The seeing was good with average transparency. Captured in SharpCap and processed with Autostakkert, Registax, and a touch of Lightroom. Thanks for looking!

V/R

Terry

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4142.PNG

• Jeffrey C., Scott Mitchell, Tavi F. and 12 others like this

#1812 Matthew Paul

Matthew Paul

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Orange County, New York

Posted 20 July 2019 - 11:29 AM

You all take some amazing photos. This is the best that I could do last night given the conditions, where many of were working against me. The hand controller on my Vixen SP mount went to the after life. I took the footage through haze/low cloud cover, and the 6inf8 home made scope with optics that I made needs some upgrading. The focuser is a $20 rack and pinion, made of plastic, the spider is flimsy, the tube flexes, and the rings are junk. But, all things considered, I'm ok with what I got. With some better weather I should be able to capture a decent image. I used a canon t2i with a Highpoint 2.5 barlow, manually guided. processed in AS!2, then regi6, then lightroom. The scope is a 6in F8 newtonian with a home made and home silvered mirror. 

You can make out some detail in the clouds of the central band, and adjacent cloud bands, which I was surprised to capture given the conditions. nothing to write home about but does show some potential with some work on the mount and scope, and clear skies. Also, this is my first time trying any astrophotography. 

2ndtry.jpg

Edited by Matthew Paul, 20 July 2019 - 11:30 AM.

• eros312, BKBrown, WarmWeatherGuy and 5 others like this

#1813 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Soyuz

• ***--

Posted 20 July 2019 - 11:42 AM

You all take some amazing photos. This is the best that I could do last night given the conditions, where many of were working against me. The hand controller on my Vixen SP mount went to the after life. I took the footage through haze/low cloud cover, and the 6inf8 home made scope with optics that I made needs some upgrading. The focuser is a $20 rack and pinion, made of plastic, the spider is flimsy, the tube flexes, and the rings are junk. But, all things considered, I'm ok with what I got. With some better weather I should be able to capture a decent image. I used a canon t2i with a Highpoint 2.5 barlow, manually guided. processed in AS!2, then regi6, then lightroom. The scope is a 6in F8 newtonian with a home made and home silvered mirror. 

You can make out some detail in the clouds of the central band, and adjacent cloud bands, which I was surprised to capture given the conditions. nothing to write home about but does show some potential with some work on the mount and scope, and clear skies. Also, this is my first time trying any astrophotography. 

attachicon.gif 2ndtry.jpg

You have more guts than me! First you made your own scope!, THEN you silvered your own mirror!, and you did it all on a shoestring budget! That is a great image, considering what you had to go through to get that image.

WELL DONE!

• Matthew Paul likes this

#1814 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Soyuz

• ***--

Posted 20 July 2019 - 11:43 AM

Here's one from tonight using my Questar 3.5 and ZWO 178MM camera. The seeing was good with average transparency. Captured in SharpCap and processed with Autostakkert, Registax, and a touch of Lightroom. Thanks for looking!

V/R

Terry

That is a VERY GOOD image of Jupiter! Considering you only had 3.5" of aperture! Is that using a barlow or just natural F Ratio? Looks like you used an IR Bandpass filter too?

• TerryWood likes this

#1815 Matthew Paul

Matthew Paul

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 20 July 2019 - 12:25 PM

You have more guts than me! First you made your own scope!, THEN you silvered your own mirror!, and you did it all on a shoestring budget! That is a great image, considering what you had to go through to get that image.

WELL DONE!

Thank you! Hopefully I can learn some more and improve. I've got an F20 Dallkirkham in the works for this type of thing, but It will be a few more months at least before it is finished. Then In the coming year I can look into getting a cgem, atlas, or the like and not have to deal with being way under-mounted. But in the meanwhile, I'll keep at it with the equipment that I have. 

#1816 cytan299

cytan299

Viking 1

Posted 20 July 2019 - 01:51 PM

Hi guys,

Here's my photo of Jupiter taken on 19 Jul 2019 at 22:25:56 with my ETX125+2x Barlow + ASI120MC. This time I think I got the best focusing ever of Jupiter (after doing another round of ETX125 collimation, which was a tad off) by focusing on Antares first. I don't think I've ever seen this side of Jupiter before, it looks like quite a storm is brewing.

cytan

R_Jup_222556_lapl4_ap59_cropped.jpg

• eros312, BKBrown, WarmWeatherGuy and 7 others like this

#1817 Matthew Paul

Matthew Paul

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 20 July 2019 - 11:28 PM

Better still. However the RGB channels are not aligned for some reason, even though I took it on a T2I. Atmosphere? There was a low of turbulence and the planet looked like a ball of jello, moving around. 

Home Built 6inf8 Newtonian with home made Primary Mirror,
Manually driven Vixen SP
Canon t2i
High Point 2.5 barlow
Some luck

This is my second attempt at imaging.

MVI_0140.MOV_g4_ap35_conv-5.jpg

• eros312, BKBrown, Stargazer3236 and 9 others like this

#1818 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Red Centre, NT, Australia

Posted 20 July 2019 - 11:41 PM

Better still. However the RGB channels are not aligned for some reason, even though I took it on a T2I. Atmosphere?

Yep. The index of refraction through any medium (except vacuum) is wavelength dependent. At steep incidence angles, the atmosphere acts like a prism—you'll notice your red and blue channels are offset from the green channel in opposite directions. ADCs are made to correct this; you can also just align the RGB channels in processing (rumor has it Registax can do this automatically).

BQ

P.S. Great contrast from an f/6!

Edited by BQ Octantis, 20 July 2019 - 11:50 PM.

#1819 Tulloch

Tulloch

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 21 July 2019 - 01:20 AM

Better still. However the RGB channels are not aligned for some reason, even though I took it on a T2I. Atmosphere? There was a low of turbulence and the planet looked like a ball of jello, moving around. 

Home Built 6inf8 Newtonian with home made Primary Mirror,
Manually driven Vixen SP
Canon t2i
High Point 2.5 barlow
Some luck

This is my second attempt at imaging.

attachicon.gif MVI_0140.MOV_g4_ap35_conv-5.jpg

Looks great, especially from a completely home-built system, but how are you capturing your videos? Are you using 5x Liveview (or even better 640x480 Movie Crop Mode)?

If not, read this link, it will explain how to make the most of your T2i. You are lucky, you can sample 1:1 pixels at 60 fps with this setup (unlike my T5i, which is stuck at 20 fps). This will improve your images considerably over the standard movie mode.

http://www.astropix....resolution.html

Andrew

#1820 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 21 July 2019 - 01:52 AM

Yep. The index of refraction through any medium (except vacuum) is wavelength dependent. At steep incidence angles, the atmosphere acts like a prism—you'll notice your red and blue channels are offset from the green channel in opposite directions. ADCs are made to correct this; you can also just align the RGB channels in processing (rumor has it Registax can do this automatically).

BQ

P.S. Great contrast from an f/6!

Just to correct any assumptions here, you cannot <"just align the RGB channels in processing"> to correct for atmospheric distortion: the image itself is compromised which is why simple channel alignment does not correct the most negative effects of atmospheric distortion!

Despite the "advice" (presumably upon hearsay lol.gif ) Registax will do a good job a lot of the time with simple r-g-b channel misalignment...but as said the effects of AD, most noticeable at lower elevations does require an ADC..! wink.gif

• BKBrown, KiwiRay and Matthew Paul like this

#1821 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Red Centre, NT, Australia

Posted 21 July 2019 - 02:48 AM

Just to correct any assumptions here, you cannot <"just align the RGB channels in processing"> to correct for atmospheric distortion: the image itself is compromised which is why simple channel alignment does not correct the most negative effects of atmospheric distortion!

Despite the "advice" (presumably upon hearsay lol.gif ) Registax will do a good job a lot of the time with simple r-g-b channel misalignment...but as said the effects of AD, most noticeable at lower elevations does require an ADC..! wink.gif

All too true, Daryl. Despite our best efforts, we can never reconstruct the pre-atmospheric wavefront from the ground…so it comes down to residual error in the final output. Through my 7-inch aperture, the most offset I've seen (at 15˚ elevation) was 6 pixels at a spatial sample rate of 8.9 pixels per Airy disk (so well under 1 Airy disk of offset). From a practical perspective, at 6 inches (the OP's stated aperture size) it may not make a difference (ADC vs. post-processing), but I'd love to see the comparison.

Cheers,

BQ

Edited by BQ Octantis, 21 July 2019 - 08:45 AM.

#1822 TerryWood

TerryWood

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: USA

Posted 21 July 2019 - 09:46 AM

That is a VERY GOOD image of Jupiter! Considering you only had 3.5" of aperture! Is that using a barlow or just natural F Ratio? Looks like you used an IR Bandpass filter too?

Thanks! I plugged the ZWO 178 into the axial port of the Questar. No barlow was needed at f/15 due to the camera's micron size. I actually downsized it by 10% to help make the noise less obvious. I used a green ccd filter which really helps with contrast. The downside is that you need to push up the gain in order to obtain a decent frame rate. The Q really impresses me when the seeing cooperates!

V/R

Terry

#1823 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Soyuz

• ***--

Posted 21 July 2019 - 10:58 AM

I gotta get me a Questar!

• TerryWood, Bomber Bob and Matthew Paul like this

#1824 Scott Mitchell

Scott Mitchell

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Atlanta-ish, GA

Posted 21 July 2019 - 04:40 PM

OK, I'll play too. Jupiter from July 17th. Celestron C6, 2x barlow, ZWO ASI120MM. Captured in Sharpcap, best 500 frames stacked in AutoStakkert,wavelets in Registax, final tweaks in Photoshop. Definitely gonna give this some more attempts as I'm pleased with the initial results.

23_35_13_lapl6_ap21_conv_registax.jpg

• gfeulner, eros312, BKBrown and 8 others like this

#1825 Matthew Paul

Matthew Paul

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 21 July 2019 - 05:45 PM

Looks great, especially from a completely home-built system, but how are you capturing your videos? Are you using 5x Liveview (or even better 640x480 Movie Crop Mode)?

If not, read this link, it will explain how to make the most of your T2i. You are lucky, you can sample 1:1 pixels at 60 fps with this setup (unlike my T5i, which is stuck at 20 fps). This will improve your images considerably over the standard movie mode.

http://www.astropix....resolution.html

Andrew

Hello Andrew, and thank you. 

Yes I recorded them in the crop mode, 60fps, iso was 800 I think. 

• Tulloch likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics