•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade DSX-125

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 mloffland

mloffland

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 13 September 2005 - 12:45 PM

Meade DSX-125

#2 NorthCoast

NorthCoast

Vanguard

Posted 13 September 2005 - 01:43 PM

John, very nice review!

Question: did you do the initial calibrate, train and alignment usually needed for the initial Autostar and Meade scopes to track better? My experience is that out of the box the autostar controller needs to be set for the individual scope.

later,
Mark

#3 Nocturnal

Nocturnal

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 September 2005 - 12:15 PM

Thanks for the review! I just wanted to add a note saying that I just got a Meade DS2090 AT box from Costco for $200. This is a 90 mm refractor on the same DS mount as the reviewed scope, also with the 497 AS box. It came with an LED viewfinder and 26, 9.7 mm Meade 4000 Plossls. It shares some of the same benefits and problems as reported in the review but overall it's a great value for the money for low-risk exploration of astronomy.

So if you're looking for a cheap goto mount to put a different scope on then this DS2090 package is also an option. It doesn't come with the convenient bracket that's part of the DSX-125 though. Making a bracket should be pretty trivial though. I've had no problems with the clutch although the Az axis is a little loose.

#4 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 15 September 2005 - 12:37 PM

Thanks for the nice words everyone - sometimes I think I buy scopes just so I can do a review.

When I get a Meade Autostar scope, I routinely upgrade the controller to the latest version, then do a Calibrate and Train of the motors.

The reason is that the latest software version often has new features and bug fixes (although sometimes new bugs are introduced). Calibrate and Train adjust the way the motors run to allow for the weight and balance of the tube - if this has changed, Calibrate and Train will compensate.

It's been two weeks and I'm still waiting for the tube to come back from Meade (hopefully) collimated. I'm anxious to really use this baby!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics