•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Orion (Celestron) SVP 8 EQ CAT vs C8-S

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 mplkn1

mplkn1

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 September 2005 - 05:26 AM

Hi all -

I'd be very grateful to hear some thoughts, please, on weighing these two versions of the same scope.

The C8-S, with XLT coating, is essentially the same price as the Orion version.

The Orion version puts the C8-S on a SkyView Pro vs. the CG-5. Consensus around here seems to be that the CG-5 is a more solid mount, although the SVP seems redeemable, with a lot of how-tos findable here on CN.

The Orion offering comes with an 8 x 40 finder vs 6 x 30. If I got the C8-S I'd probably upgrade the finder almost immediately.

Any other differences, crucial or not?

Is Orion's customer service reputation a factor?

Does the mount make the C8-S a no-brainer?

Many thanks in advance for any thoughts...

Best wishes!

#2 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 14 September 2005 - 05:34 AM

Hi all -

I'd be very grateful to hear some thoughts, please, on weighing these two versions of the same scope.

There are affordable drives available for the SVP. So far as I know there are no drive upgrades available from Celestron for their CG-5. That'd be important to some folks and not to others.

#3 Digital Don

Digital Don

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 14 September 2005 - 03:17 PM

Hi Michael,

I've owned both the SkyView Pro and CG-5 (the AS-GT version). While they look a little different, their performance is essentially identical. Yes, Celestron's tripod is beefier, but Orion's is completely functional, and ligher.

Orion's top-notch service would be the deciding factor for me if prices are simlar.

Good luck!

Don :usa:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics