•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Tripod adapter on the cheap

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 February 2004 - 03:52 AM

Here's my...umm...frugal binoculars mount. The adapter is a 3/16" thick piece of steel. Unfortunately my corner hardware store didn't have the same thickness in aluminum. I tried 1/4" aluminum, but it was to flimsy. On top is a Daisy red dot I got at WalMart for $9. I'd read that the red dot was too bright, and some folks install a rheostat, but I don't think it's needed. The switch on it actually has two postions of brightness and the dimmer one seems about just right. I added the electrical tape just to secure it a little better, because I wasn't too happy with the double sided golf club grip tape I used. It took a bit of experimenting and bending of the bracket to get the red dot lined up with the field of view in the binoculars, but it only took 2 attempts to get the two lined up.

The only thing I don't like is the Daisy is a bit too high, and if you're in cold weather, looking through the Daisy might fog up your binocs if you don't remember to hold your breath.

So if you're cheap like me, here's a way to get by without those $36.95 brackets with the dovetail in them. I think all told I spent about $11 on mine and that's including the Daisy.

Attached Thumbnails

• 48267-binomount.jpg

#2 Craig Simmons

Craig Simmons

Surveyor 1

Posted 01 February 2004 - 08:10 AM

I've been thinking about what to do for red dot finder sighting on my homemade bino chair and what you've done looks like a good setup. My binos attach to a 1/4"-20 ball swivel, so I hope I have enough thread to pass thru the bracket and into the binos.

Craig Simmons
Falls Church, VA

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 February 2004 - 08:28 AM

Sal,
I never would have thought to go to Walmart for a red dot finder. And you sure can't beat that price. I'm off right after breakfast to see if our local Walmart Super Center has one.

I think that the gray tape will leave a sticky residue on the finder if it comes in direct contact with it. You might consider putting one layer of a cling-type plastic on the finder first, then the gray tape wrap. If all are snug, then you should not have any problem.

I have an extra "L" bracket that should work until I can come up with a "C" bracket to mount my binos to my parallelogram with the finder at the top.

Great idea. Thanks for the info. You get my vote for Best Tip of the Month.

Nick

#4 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 01 February 2004 - 09:10 PM

Nice little elegant solution! :bow:

#5 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 February 2004 - 12:24 AM

Thanks for the compliments fellas. I took the black tape off as Nick suggested, and in the two holes where the dovetail bracket gets secured, I put two small black zip ties.

#6 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 February 2004 - 08:49 AM

Sal,
I got the Daisy red dot finder but had to go to a local sporting goods store as our local Walmart didn't have them (they carried another brand that the store clerk said was poorly made .... he was right, I could hear the front lens rattling through the packaging). The price at the sporting good store was the same that you quoted so I am as happy as can be with the price.

The Daisy, however, works like a charm. It has the two-step switch for dim and bright red dots and this one even has a cross-hair on the lens (although I have read elsewhere that some people prefer no obstructions whatsoever).

I think that I am going to forego the twisties and see about making a more permanent mount for the finder. I was playing around with a different bracket between my binos and the parallelogram anyway so this is perfect timing.

Sal, thanks again for the "heads-up" on the finder. I can hardly wait for the clouds to clear and rain to stop and try it all out (that's always the case is it not?).

Nick

#7 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 February 2004 - 08:03 PM

I can't take credit for the idea Nick, I just borrowed the idea off the net. If you're looking for something more permanent to mount it to, I ran across this website where they refer to a "self adhesive utility wire clip"(radio shack part number 278-1647A):

Red Dot sight for astronomy

You could attach this utility wire clip with something like epoxy or the supplied self adhesive to the C-shaped adapter, and then just screw on the Daisy using the dovetail bracket. This will allow easy removal for battery change.

Other websites with this mod also talk about installing a rheostat as a dimmer switch for the red dot, and removing the coating from the cross hair lens since it's shaded for daytime use. I don't see the need to, but you might.

If possible, throw up a pic when you're done. I always enjoy seeing these DIY mods.

#8 Craig Simmons

Craig Simmons

Surveyor 1

Posted 23 February 2004 - 07:36 AM

I put a Daisy Max sight on my Obie 20x90s on the center brace shaft (not the 1/4"-20 shaft) between the two objectives. I use a strip of adhesive velcro (fuzzy side) on the shaft to keep the sight from slipping side-to-side and then cable tied the sight over the shaft and velcro strip. I tried it last night and it worked great.

Craig Simmons
Falls Church, VA

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics