•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Question about canon modification.

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#126 chandrainsky

chandrainsky

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Bangalore, India

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:02 PM

Great thread. I wish I had seen this earlier!

I modded my 600D more than a year ago. Things were ok except for two things. One, some dust (at least one of them too big to ignore) got in and was annoying. Two, there was some focus shift - the sensor assembly was not sitting square - because I was not careful enough in marking the screw positions/measuring the aount of shift.

Couple of days ago i wanted to remove the assembly again and try to clean the BCF filter. That's when I realised that there was a third mistake as well. The silicon glue was clinging on to the LPF-1 and it refused to come out. I tried to coax it with all the delicate handling I could manage but it eventually cracked. Now, I have no way of getting a replacement of LPF-1 since the Canon service folks here say it is not available as a replacement part. Now, I want to remove the BCF filter as well and make it a full mod. I am getting the CLS-CCD filter from Astronomik and it should be arriving before this weekend. From what I understand from this thread with the bare CMOS sensor and CLS-CCD filter I am good to go assuming that I always leave the CLS-CCD in place. Requesting the gurus here to confirm my understanding.

Also, just in case I want to shoot without the CLS-CCD will the problem of star bloat be noticeable? Of course, I can figure it out when the clouds clear (it looks like it will be at least another month before I get to see some stars here!) and just wanted to hear from the sages while I wait for the clouds to clear. If it makes sense to leave the BCF in place I can do it now rather than open the camera when the stars are out finally  :)

#127 Hap Griffin

Hap Griffin

Vendor (Imaging Infinity)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Sumter, SC

Posted 05 September 2014 - 08:05 PM

If you remove BOTH LPF#1 and LPF#2 and then use the CLS-CCF filter, you should be good to go.  It's basically a "luminance" filter and you will have the situation that a CCD user has when shooting luminance frames.  Without the filter, you will very likely have IR-induced star bloating if you have anything at all refractive in your system.

#128 NicholasP

NicholasP

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Budapest

Posted 18 January 2016 - 02:33 PM

My questions are :

a-Will the CLS-CCD clip filter by Astronomik (or any other brand) will work on a Canon that only the LPF-2 filter is removed ??

I am planning to keep the LPF-1 intact on camera, and

b-Is the autofocus function still be usable ??

Nikolas.

*** just a thought :

...why we must modify our cameras and we don't just add a Ha Filter to achieve more Ha sensitivity ???

#129 sharkmelley

sharkmelley

Vanguard

Posted 18 January 2016 - 04:41 PM

My questions are :

a-Will the CLS-CCD clip filter by Astronomik (or any other brand) will work on a Canon that only the LPF-2 filter is removed ??

I am planning to keep the LPF-1 intact on camera, and

b-Is the autofocus function still be usable ??

Nikolas.

*** just a thought :

...why we must modify our cameras and we don't just add a Ha Filter to achieve more Ha sensitivity ???

The CLS_CCD filter will work just fine

Removing LPF-2 changes the optical path length and means autofocus will no longer work.  Also, some lenses may fail to focus on objects at infinity even when focused manually.

If you simply add an Ha filter then you let only Ha light into the camera and 80% of that is still blocked by LPF-2.

Mark

Edited by sharkmelley, 18 January 2016 - 04:43 PM.

#130 NicholasP

NicholasP

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 19 January 2016 - 12:32 AM

Thank you Mark !!

#131 NicholasP

NicholasP

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 22 January 2016 - 01:17 AM

After reading all the options about modifying a Canon, need to come back to this thread and ask from all of you, honestly your opinion about :

-Which mod do you think it the best for Canon cameras ??

I already had a Canon Eos 550D converted to Full Spectrum, (both filters removed) and i used it with just a CLS-CCD filter....

The results where great, but i started to think if it was a Baader mod conversion (LPF-2 removed and Baader filter installed) if it would make any difference in my image quality and overall use of my camera.

The reason that i am asking this is because i am sorry i lost the daytime use of the camera...meaning autofocus function and auto white balance..

-Did i win anything from Full Spectrum vs Baader mod ??

Nikolas.

#132 mmalik

mmalik

DSLR camera modifications

• Vendors
  • Loc: USA

Posted 22 January 2016 - 03:52 AM

My recommendation here... with all the details. Read about filters here...; D1 would be better than the one you list. Regards

Edited by mmalik, 22 January 2016 - 03:54 AM.

#133 NicholasP

NicholasP

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 22 January 2016 - 06:05 AM

Really appreciate the help from an expert,

i have read a lot of times this thread to figure out which mod would be the optimal, your suggestion i believe is the best, for AP, but then i will not have auto-focus function which sometimes is handy...

i am not sure that ,if i bring the sensor closer,  by the same thickness of the LPF-2 filter removed, will give me back the auto focus function.....

I saw already what a camera can do in Full Spectrum together with a ccd filter..the results were impressive....Just i wanted to find a way so i can use the camera in everyday use as well...

The AWB(auto white balance) doesn't matter so much cause i can fix it with a custom white balance, but the auto focus i think is a important function....

That means that i must replace the LPF-2 filter with something similar(size/thickness), so not loosing the auto focus function....

Nikolas

#134 mmalik

mmalik

DSLR camera modifications

• Vendors
  • Loc: USA

Posted 22 January 2016 - 06:21 AM

Sensor can be adjusted for autofocus with 'Removed LPF-2' mod, for that matter even full-spectrum mod, so that should not be a problem. Regards

#135 SebaAstro

SebaAstro

Vostok 1

Posted 13 March 2018 - 09:35 PM

The CLS_CCD filter will work just fine

Removing LPF-2 changes the optical path length and means autofocus will no longer work.  Also, some lenses may fail to focus on objects at infinity even when focused manually.

If you simply add an Ha filter then you let only Ha light into the camera and 80% of that is still blocked by LPF-2.

First of all i am a beginner. I am going to have the LPF-2 removed from my Canon T2i and keeping LPF-1 intact. Now, just so i am clear here and considering that i need to fight  heavy light pollution, will I be just fine with a CLS filter like the Atronomik or I still need the -CCD version as "just in case" (potential risk of star bloating?) since i use a refractor ES102CF for my astrophotography? I even saw this guy here getting even better results (or at least it seems so) adding ALSO a Baader UV/IR cut,L pass...so this made me even more confused!

PS: i don't care about losing auto-focus.

Sorry for this question as it may seems redundant but i just need a simple and straight answer from one of you experts.

After reading this  post and many others ,  it seems that just a CLS filter with  LPF-2 removed should do and be done (and save some $).

Seba 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics