•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Classic telescopes in classic TV and movies

• Please log in to reply
222 replies to this topic

#201 Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 02 June 2018 - 01:56 PM

Men into Space, wow that brings back memories. I couldn't have been more than four years old, and the only thing I remember is the astronauts having a big step from their hatch to the wing of their spaceship. Watching that show with my Cape Canaveral set spread out on the floor is one of my dusty memory along with once and a while eating TV dinner and watching Soupy Sales show  

The narrator always pointed out that their magnetic boots allowed them to walk normally on the outside of the ship. Must have been a powerful rocket to get that iron based ship up into space LOL!

• steve t and terraclarke like this

#202 celestronlover57

celestronlover57

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Mississippi

Posted 02 June 2018 - 02:26 PM

Early sci-fi took lots of liberties with

The narrator always pointed out that their magnetic boots allowed them to walk normally on the outside of the ship. Must have been a powerful rocket to get that iron based ship up into space LOL!

Early sci-fi took a lot of liberties with stuff like that.  I think about the stead one g acceleration rockets in Angry Red Planet.  Don't know exactly how long the flight took, but the on board clock had almost two months when they last showed it.  Now starting with an assumed escape velocity of 25,000 mph, you can see with simple physics how theoretically fast the ship would be moving.  Sorry if I drifted a bit from original topic.  No classic telescopes in this one, but I think I remember a microscope and a Hasselblad camera.

Edited by celestronlover57, 02 June 2018 - 02:27 PM.

• steve t likes this

#203 silodweller

silodweller

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: South Africa

Posted 23 June 2018 - 08:43 AM

I remember a C14 in Close encounters.

One of my absolute favourite films AND favourite soundtracks!  John Williams tapped into something very special when he composed this incredible score.

I hope I have the right telescope attached to go with your comment!

Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977) Classic Telescopes

• steve t, terraclarke, TOM KIEHL and 2 others like this

#204 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• topic starter
  • Loc: Third from the Sun

Posted 23 June 2018 - 10:07 AM

Back then America was built with American steel. American steel had done a large part (along with aluminum in airplanes) to win the war not a whole lot more than a decade before this show came out. So what else would the writers have expected of ships in Space to be made of? 

• Mr Magoo, steve t and Defenderslideguitar like this

#205 Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 25 July 2018 - 09:55 PM

Still trying to figure out what this scope is at the 6 second mark. https://www.youtube....h?v=0uLhJJMi7D0

• TOM KIEHL likes this

#206 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 26 July 2018 - 01:48 PM

Still trying to figure out what this scope is at the 6 second mark. https://www.youtube....h?v=0uLhJJMi7D0

Hard to tell, it’s so dark.

• TOM KIEHL likes this

#207 Tony Gee

Tony Gee

Lift Off

Posted 30 September 2018 - 11:41 AM

Hello All.

This classic scope is from season 2, episode 23 of Rawhide titled "Incident of The Stargazer". It aired yesterday on MeTV.

https://www.youtube....mCvksUdN1NjCftG

Fast forward to 10:34 to see the scope. Does anyone know what it is?

Tony Gee

p.s. For you Beverly Hillbillies and Barnaby Jones fans, Buddy Ebsen is in this episode.

p.p.s. For you Star Trek fans, Richard Webb who played the disgruntled Lt. Cmdr. Ben Finney in the episode Court Martial is also in this episode.

• steve t likes this

#208 Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 30 September 2018 - 01:25 PM

Hello All.

This classic scope is from season 2, episode 23 of Rawhide titled "Incident of The Stargazer". It aired yesterday on MeTV.

Tony Gee

p.s. For you Beverly Hillbillies and Barnaby Jones fans, Buddy Ebsen is in this episode.

p.p.s. For you Star Trek fans, Richard Webb who played the disgruntled Lt. Cmdr. Ben Finney in the episode Court Martial is also in this episode.

This one has been discussed before. Search back in the thread and you should find it. I can't remember what if any conclusions were reached on it. 

• steve t and terraclarke like this

#209 clamchip

clamchip

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 30 September 2018 - 08:33 PM

https://www.dailymot...m/video/x2fw2zg

• PaulEK likes this

#210 Ben Bajorek

Ben Bajorek

Mariner 2

Posted 03 November 2018 - 06:05 PM

From the David Lean's film "The Sound Barrier" with Ann Todd, Ralph Richardson and maybe a Thomas Cooke telescope?

ScreenShot20181103at.png

• highfnum, PaulEK, terraclarke and 1 other like this

#211 rayden68

rayden68

Explorer 1

• Loc: Central Indiana

Posted 03 November 2018 - 09:40 PM

The 1979 movie 10 has two telescopes looking back and forth at each other. One is an 80MM Towa 339. the other looks like a 60mm 12TE?

#212 Joe Bergeron

Joe Bergeron

Vendor - Space Art

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 04 November 2018 - 01:06 AM

I had to watch that Rawhide episode. Shows how dangerous a big refractor can be when they bonk a bad guy on the head with it.

They’d have a hard time observing the zenith unless they cut a hole in the floor to accommodate the eyepiece.
  • terraclarke and Defenderslideguitar like this

#213 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 05 November 2018 - 07:09 AM

From the David Lean's film "The Sound Barrier" with Ann Todd, Ralph Richardson and maybe a Thomas Cooke telescope?

ScreenShot20181103at.png

I’ve never seen that but i found it streaming on Tubi TV. i’ll watch it today.

• Ben Bajorek and Defenderslideguitar like this

#214 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 05 November 2018 - 07:49 PM

I’ve never seen that but i found it streaming on Tubi TV. i’ll watch it today.

My attempt to watch it was unsuccessful. I have never dealt with Tubi TV and it proved less than reliable for me. Kept erroring out whenever it went to a commercial.

#215 Ben Bajorek

Ben Bajorek

Mariner 2

Posted 05 November 2018 - 08:08 PM

My attempt to watch it was unsuccessful. I have never dealt with Tubi TV and it proved less than reliable for me. Kept erroring out whenever it went to a commercial.

I haven't seen it either.  I was watching an old interview of the director David Lean on YouTube and the film was mentioned, that film still with the telescope was displayed and I thought of this thread.  Ralph Richardson is a great actor, on the level of Gielgud or Olivier.  The Fallen Idol directed by Carol Reed and written by Graham Green is Richardson's greatest film!  The Sound Barrier's reputation is that it's one of the few intelligent depictions of aviation in movies.  

Edited by Ben Bajorek, 06 November 2018 - 06:39 AM.

• terraclarke likes this

#216 petert913

petert913

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 05 November 2018 - 08:09 PM

There was an episode of "Our Miss Brooks" from the 1950's where the school principal had a 6" refractor in his living room with 

the objective sticking out the window.   Looked like one of the old brass scopes on a simple alt-az mount

#217 celestronlover57

celestronlover57

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 11 November 2018 - 02:56 PM

Hello All.

Tony Gee

Scope looks like it might have a six inch objective, but I would think the tube would have been a lot longer since before ED glass and similar a large refracting telescope would be f 15 or slower.  Looked shorter than the Unitron 4" f 15 that I've seen up close.  Could it be a prop?  And doesn't it look too modern for the setting of the show (1860's)

• Mr Magoo likes this

#218 Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 11 November 2018 - 07:42 PM

Scope looks like it might have a six inch objective, but I would think the tube would have been a lot longer since before ED glass and similar a large refracting telescope would be f 15 or slower.  Looked shorter than the Unitron 4" f 15 that I've seen up close.  Could it be a prop?  And doesn't it look too modern for the setting of the show (1860's)

The episode is named "Incident Of The Dancing Death" not "Incident of The Stargazer". I would say the scope is 100% real, but the set is not. There is a pretty good view of the mount from the side at the 37:04 mark. The setting circles look really big. 

• terraclarke likes this

#219 celestronlover57

celestronlover57

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 11 November 2018 - 08:04 PM

The episode is named "Incident Of The Dancing Death" not "Incident of The Stargazer". I would say the scope is 100% real, but the set is not. There is a pretty good view of the mount from the side at the 37:04 mark. The setting circles look really big. 

The YouTube link to the episode incorrectly shows Incident of the Dancing Death.  According to IMBD website the title is Incident of the Stargazer.

• Mr Magoo likes this

#220 Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 11 November 2018 - 08:12 PM

The YouTube link to the episode incorrectly shows Incident of the Dancing Death.  According to IMBD website the title is Incident of the Stargazer.

Sure enough, two different Incidents!

• terraclarke likes this

#221 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 13 November 2018 - 01:24 PM

Of interest:

http://cms.iafe.uba....astro_iau09.pdf

• Mr Magoo and steve t like this

#222 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted 13 November 2018 - 01:30 PM

I hadn't thought of searching the iMDB for old scopes.

I did find a couple of credits there for an old amateur astronomer.   LINK

;)

• Mr Magoo, Vesper818, terraclarke and 1 other like this

#223 Vesper818

Vesper818

Astronomess

• Loc: Treehouse Observatory

Posted 13 November 2018 - 07:04 PM

I hadn't thought of searching the iMDB for old scopes.

I did find a couple of credits there for an old amateur astronomer. LINK

;)

Dog trouble, funny! Isn't that the wrong kinda dog?
You could do a whole new cartoon!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics