•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Question for ya

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 werewolf6977

werewolf6977

Lord High Smasher

• topic starter

Posted 01 February 2004 - 05:48 PM

Would (could) someone out there explain to me the advantage(s) of an SNT? Or is this just a way for some one in the purchasing dept of the big two to unload the extra 100,000 corrector plate blanks they orderd by mistake? WW

#2 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

Posted 01 February 2004 - 05:56 PM

Doesn't it have something to do with correcting for the limitations of having a short focal length? :question:

#3 werewolf6977

werewolf6977

Lord High Smasher

• topic starter

Posted 01 February 2004 - 06:02 PM

Beats the "friend" outta me. That's why I asked this dumb question. WW

#4 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

Posted 01 February 2004 - 06:03 PM

Beats the "friend" outta me. That's why I asked this dumb question. WW

Watch it with the "f" word, there, fella!

Well, with any luck someone more knowledgable will drop by, and then we'll both know.

#5 Suk Lee

Suk Lee

Aurora

Posted 01 February 2004 - 06:10 PM

Shorter focal length = wider field views.

In typical SNT's, the diagonal is kept small to limit contrast reduction, which means that while they enable wide field views, they'll exhibit light dropoff in the corners for widefield astrophotography.

Suk

#6 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

Posted 01 February 2004 - 08:36 PM

Yes; it's just a variant of a fast Newtonian. Advantages over a straight F/4 Newt include a spherical primary (much easier to figure than an F/4 parabaloid) and reduced coma due to the corrector (which is required anyway). Also there is no secondary spider so no diffraction spikes. Disadvantages include the necessity for a corrector and the increased cost/complexity/light loss it brings.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics