•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Rank Beginner with his first telescope.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 Syzygy

Syzygy

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 February 2004 - 08:47 PM

Hi, folks! I'm a rank beginner in the astronomy world. I spent a night observing last fall with an experienced amateur astronomer and have been smitten ever since. I just ordered my first scope today, a NexStar 130GT. I should have it by this weekend and I can't wait to get out with it!
In the mean time, I hope that there are patient folks here that don't mind dumb questions, because I know I'll have a torrent of them as soon as I start getting out.

John

#2 Matthew E

Matthew E

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 01 February 2004 - 09:07 PM

you will find the most patient folks here :) we are all newbies in our own right!

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 01 February 2004 - 10:49 PM

Welcome John. As Matthew said folks are patient here and you will find plenty of help and good advice. I own a 114GT. Check out this web site.
www.nexstarsite.com

#4 Syzygy

Syzygy

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 February 2004 - 11:17 PM

Thanks, Rick. My 130GT can't get here soon enough!

#5 TeamGS

TeamGS

Gemini

Posted 03 February 2004 - 03:52 PM

Welcome to the "Dark Side"!

Why not get a book and start learning the skies beforehand?

Terrence Dickenson's "The Backyard Astronomer's Guide" comes to mind.

You could also check out www.nexstarsite.com and the nexstar and babynexstar Yahoo groups.

Heck, you could even visit Celestron's site and download the 130 manual!

Good Luck!

Gary

#6 Syzygy

Syzygy

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 February 2004 - 06:12 PM

Gary,
Are you clairvoyant? :lol: I have "The Backyard Astronomer's Guide" AND I've downloaded the 130's Owner's Manual.

Is it Friday yet???

John

#7 TeamGS

TeamGS

Gemini

Posted 04 February 2004 - 11:33 AM

LOL...I guess great (or twisted) minds think really DO think alike! :jump:

I did the same thing.

Now be prepared for for an onslaught of "I wants":

-A 12V power tank to replace the 8AA batteries
-A 120 V AC Adapter for when you are viewing near an outlet
-More EP's or a 2X Barlow.
-etc., etc., etc...

BTW, when you start to look at the moon, if you don't have a lunar filter, at try removing only the middle portion of your OTA cap. This will really help cut down on the brightness. (My 114 has a removable center piece, and I assume the 130 is the same)

Good Luck!

Gary

#8 Matthew E

Matthew E

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 04 February 2004 - 01:02 PM

Actually, i have found the AC adapter to be VERY good, the motors for tracking and movement move alot faster with the AC adapter than with the 8 AA batteries, i was really suprised when i got it on how much better the scope always sounded with it :). As for EPs i also got the Celestron EP kit with the 5 EPs and 7 Filters, and 2x barlow it was a great deak, and has come in handy. The EPs that come with the scope are not near as good quality that is in the Kit. here is the link for the kit:
http://www.celestron...accessories.htm
Matthew.

#9 Syzygy

Syzygy

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 February 2004 - 06:29 PM

Gary,
Well, I ordered the lens and filter kit, and the AC power adaptor when I ordered the telescope. I should receive it Friday and, of course, the weather is forecasted to be wet, cold, and miserable here. Oh, well, it will give me more time to hit the books.

#10 Matthew E

Matthew E

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 04 February 2004 - 08:36 PM

I just received the celestron Baader solar filter for my nexstar 114 scope, now i just need a sunny weekend to try it out :)

#11 StarWars

StarWars

Mr. Postmaster Man

Posted 05 February 2004 - 01:48 AM

I just received the celestron Baader solar filter for my nexstar 114 scope, now i just need a sunny weekend to try it out :)

Solar filters...Get the Best.!!

http://www.thousando....com/solar.html

#12 Syzygy

Syzygy

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 06 February 2004 - 07:27 PM

My 130 arrived this afternoon! :jump: It's all assembled and ready to go.

But......it's pouring outside :bawling:. So, I guess I'll kick back and read a bit. I can't wait for the next clear night!

#13 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 06 February 2004 - 10:48 PM

Congrats! It's still quite cold in NJ, isn't it? I've had my 130 since Dec 24th and have not had even partially clear night since...and it's snowing again tonight :bawling:

Let us know as soon as you've had a chance to use it. I'm excited to see how it works. At least it will let me live vicariously.

Pat

#14 deezee

deezee

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 06 February 2004 - 11:12 PM

Haven't been out in over a month. When it isn't snowing or cloudy it was bitter, bitter cold. Glad to see all the new 130GT owners weighing in . . .

Good luck to all in mid-Feb., when we'll have moonless skies and hopefully some clear ones too !!

#15 Syzygy

Syzygy

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 07 February 2004 - 09:24 AM

Hmmmmm.....The Sky Clock says I might get a break tonight around 10 PM. Looks like I'll have to cut my social obligations a bit short tonight so that I can hustle home and get the scope out on my deck for a couple of hours.

Oh, boy!!!!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics