•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron C8 Registry

• Please log in to reply
413 replies to this topic

#401 spacefitz2

spacefitz2

Lift Off

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 23 October 2017 - 04:22 PM

This is my first post.

Really liking the retro orange C8s, I have purchased two recently, and would like to register them.

The first is from Scottsdale, Arizona. I believe it was made in 1980,or 1981. Its serial number is on the secondary holder and is 809057. It was in good/very good condition with original wedge and tripod. It came with a great condition  trunk, two 1.25 Celestron diagonals, Kellners 25mm ,15mm, and Meade 8mm eyepieces, and a Telrad finder. I have not checked the motor dates yet. 

The other C8 is an older 1973  Celestron Pacific sandcast model that had been poorly repainted black. Originally thinking it might be a tricolor that had deteriorating paint, I checked this registry to discover that it was made about the end of the transition period between the tricolored C8s and the two-colored ones. The owner was not the original owner and did not know the reason for the bad paint job.

The serial number of this one is on the base and is: 1 1004 3. The motors are a beautiful brass and are stamped 9-72. 

I have repainted the tube with harvest orange spray cans[nothing exotic], and relubed the innards of the ota, and cleaned the optics and re-lubed the focuser. This C8 had no forks or tripod, not even a plug for the rear port, but was affordable at only $225. It had no cord but the seller had a two prong female cinch-jones fitting so I fashioned a cord from a new 3 wire grounded cord and left the ground wire outside the cord with a little fitting to connect  it to the male plug screw to provide a ground.

The scope is very smooth moving now and has no mirror shift when focusing.

Optics are very sharp on both of these scopes, I believe. Overall I prefer the aesthetics of the sandcast scope, though both are very handsome and retro. Neither had finderscopes so recently I have bought a period Celestron orange 50mm finder and bracket, as well as a 50mm Celestron Polaris black finderscope.

Thank you to James for this registry. It really adds to the C8s lore, and I appreciate your efforts!

• JakeJ, deepwoods1 and Masvingo like this

#402 spacefitz2

spacefitz2

Lift Off

Posted 25 October 2017 - 02:51 PM

Here are a few pictures of the C8s I posted above. 

The first picture is of the 1973 Celestron Pacific. It came without a  wedge [in my post I said without forks...oops!], or tripod, or finder.

This is after I repainted the original black tube, and added the Polaris finder. 

The third and fourth photos are showing the 1980/81 C8 that had the trunk ,eyepieces, diagonals, wedge and tripod, and its serial number.

This one has the correct era 8x50 orange Celestron finder.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0371.JPG
  • IMG_0372.JPG
  • IMG_0410.JPG
  • IMG_0373.JPG

• Live_Steam_Mad, deepwoods1, Masvingo and 3 others like this

#403 Magnus Ahrling

Magnus Ahrling

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Visby, Sweden

Posted 26 October 2017 - 06:54 PM

Woow  so nice! I also have the 1973 Celestron Pacific and I am very happy with it. Good optics.

Thanks for showing the Pictures.

/Magnus 57N.

#404 spacefitz2

spacefitz2

Lift Off

Posted 01 November 2017 - 03:38 PM

Hi again,

I decided to repaint the parts of the 'black' C8 Celestron Pacific vintage 1973 that I did not do when painting the tube. [See my previous post.]

After taking the scope apart I discovered that the serial number on the base plate did not match the corrector plate serial number.

On removing the primary, I found that on the back, the mirror was marked "Rematched" with the only felt tip slash mark pointing to the focuser! The number on the back of the primary is: 1037. The number on the corrector plate says 1037RM, so the corrector and primary do match.

Again, the serial number on the C8 fork base is: 1 1044 3.

Should this be added to the remarks on the registry for this unit?

I am also unsure of the optimal corrector/secondary position because I read the collimation screws should be parallel to the base when positioned correctly. When I position it thus, the etched number on the corrector is not at the usually cited 3 o'clock position. Any advise from the experts on the forum?

The corrector serial number should not be pointing to the focuser position at 9 o'clock, according to the black slash on the primary, should it?

When I first took off the retaining ring for the corrector the corrector number was pointing at about 7:30, but I thought that couldn't be right. Any insight would be appreciated.

The first photo is the untouched black C8.

The second and third pics are the corrector number and the primary number.

The last is the completely repainted C8.

Thank you,

Todd F.

Attached Thumbnails

• black C8.jpg
  • C8 Corrector plate serial number.jpg
  • C8 Primary Mirror.jpg
  • IMG_0432.JPG

• Live_Steam_Mad, ScottAstroNut, deepwoods1 and 1 other like this

#405 Starmapper

Starmapper

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Corsicana, TX, USA

Posted 07 November 2017 - 06:18 PM

Hi

I just found this registry today, and thought I would post my information.  I bought a C-8 back in about 1980, and the only number I can find on it (without dismantling the optics) is from the secondary cap on the corrector plate: 810744.  Optics still seem terrific and motors (RA and added declination motor) work great.  I'm not sure they build them like they used to....

Vintage Celestron C-8_0002s.JPG Vintage Celestron C-8_0003s.JPG

• Live_Steam_Mad, CCD-Freak, spacefitz2 and 3 others like this

#406 JakeJ

JakeJ

Vanguard

Posted 08 November 2017 - 03:19 PM

Resized_20171103_143952.jpeg

Orange C8.  I purchased it from the original owner, who picked it up at the factory in December 1979.

Serial# 804495

Corrector# 0967

Edited by JakeJ, 08 November 2017 - 03:21 PM.

• Live_Steam_Mad and Masvingo like this

#407 JakeJ

JakeJ

Vanguard

Posted 08 November 2017 - 03:20 PM

Resized_20171103_145020.jpeg

Serial # for above 1979 C8

#408 JakeJ

JakeJ

Vanguard

Posted 08 November 2017 - 03:21 PM

Resized_20171029_132426.jpeg

Corrector # for 1979 C8 above.

• Masvingo and TSSClay like this

#409 jblane001

jblane001

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:30 PM

In August I purchased a Celestron NexStar C8 SN: 928604.  

I have a picture of the serial number on the secondary and of the body... it's got a grey OTA.  I would have uploaded them, but I couldn't figure out how.  It won't let me paste.

#410 jblane001

jblane001

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 12 November 2017 - 03:13 PM

Update: I learned how to attach photos.  So simple.  Thank you Starmapper.  Here are the photos of my Celestron NexStar C8 SN: 928604.

Attached Thumbnails

• Celestron Nexstar 8 001 - JBL - small.jpg
  • Celestron Nexstar 8 002 - JBL - small.jpg

• Masvingo likes this

#411 tacun

tacun

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 November 2017 - 11:23 PM

Hello astrofriends, I'm Carlos, I live in Argentina. This is my first publication

After many consultations, I finally got my c8. I bought it in Optcorp.

Many colleagues are not encouraged to send it to my country, they fear that the mail could break the telescope.

Everything arrived fine, perfectly packed. The tube, the fork, the cover, the anti-spray protector, the finder and the wedge are original. The mountain too, but it is not the oldest. They added a Telrad.
The number is 822954. (since 1982, 1983?)

WP_20171124_17_13_10_Pro.jpg

It seems to work perfectly.

I would need the cable to connect it to the electric current.

I subscribed to learn, and your knowledge is very useful. I will encourage you to ask questions. Thank you all.

Hug!

Postscript: as photos are uploaded?

Edited by tacun, 24 November 2017 - 11:35 PM.

• Masvingo likes this

#412 tacun

tacun

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 December 2017 - 09:41 AM

I finally learned (they taught me) to take pictures.

Here it is!

Attached Thumbnails

• YmzZbON.jpg

Edited by tacun, 03 December 2017 - 09:42 AM.

• Don W, deepwoods1 and Masvingo like this

#413 Masvingo

Masvingo

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Ayrshire, Scotland

Posted 09 December 2017 - 10:40 AM

I'm well overdue for another update!

Many thanks to Mtn2Sea, Synchrome, TCups, agdad, CCD-Freak, Mr Magoo, Rooftop-Astro, Alucard400, spacefitz2, Starmapper, JakeJ, jblane001 and tacun.  It's wonderful to see so many pictures of the iconic C8!

As before, new entries are in blue, and to keep the file size down I've only shown an image of the top part of the list in the attached image below but there is a link to the latest version of the registry below:

Celestron C8 Registry

Synchrome - many thanks for the purchase date and the manual date - its good to have another data point to help tie down the dates for the later 8xxxxx style numbers.

agdad - great to hear about your rescue job and glad to hear C8 #820289 has finally found a good home.

CCD-Freak - nice to hear of another early C8.

Alucard400 - I would guess around 1997.

spacefitz2 - interesting to hear about and see the rematched optics in your '73 sand cast C8 - thanks for the mirror and corrector pics - and well done with the paint job - it looks great.  And your '80 C8 #809057 is only a couple of hundred units before my C8, #809219.

JakeJ - great to have another original purchase date and thanks for the pic of the corrector number.

tacun - Saludos!  It is good to hear that your C8 arrived safe and sound - I always worry about the corrector plate if the crate is dropped.  Based on the serial number of 822954 I would guess it was made around 1984.  If you look into the recesses where the motors are mounted in the base you may be able to spot a date (M-YY) for the motors in the long string of numbers running around the side of the motor which should give you a limit for the earliest date that the scope was made (assuming the motors are original). 

Here's a picture of my C5 base (which uses the same base as the C8)

C5 base.jpg

And here's a close up (roughly where the white arrow in the above picture points) showing where the motor date ('4  81' in this case for April 1981) was stamped on this particular motor ...

C5 motor.jpg

... however, as the position varied from motor to motor you may not be able to get a clear view of where the date is stamped on your motors without taking one of the motors out.

If you plan to get a power cable for the base you may also need to change the two drive motors in the base for ones that rotate in the opposite direction if the original motors were for use in the northern hemisphere. Facing the shaft on the motor, for the northern hemisphere I think the motor should rotate counter clockwise whereas for the southern hemisphere the motor should rotate clockwise.

As ever, all contributions, corrections and clarifications gratefully received.  Please keep the numbers coming.

James

Edited to add pictures of a motor

C8SNV11part.jpg

Edited by Masvingo, 09 December 2017 - 11:20 AM.

#414 Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo

Vanguard

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 09 December 2017 - 01:07 PM

I just picked up a Super Polaris version of the C8 a few days ago. It has the SN 835860. I'm guessing this is in the 1985 range by what I see. 

BigC has the scope now.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics