•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron C8 Registry

• Please log in to reply
614 replies to this topic

#476 Masvingo

Masvingo

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Ayrshire, Scotland

Posted 19 March 2018 - 02:33 PM

Thanks for the additional details and your motor numbers.

Best bet for a power cord is to keep an eye on eBay. Third post on this thread has a bit of detail on the original cord.

Something like this is what you want.

#477 quality guy

quality guy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Keithville Lousiaina

Posted 19 March 2018 - 06:37 PM

Thanks for the information, what type of information do you need to enter a scope on the C8 registry? This scope belongs to our local astro. club and I believe that there is another just like the one I have now. I will get the infor. on that scope as well. These scopes have been donated to us within the past year.

#478 Masvingo

Masvingo

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 20 March 2018 - 08:36 AM

Hi, as a bare minimum, the serial number (including any spaces if present - this seems to vary at the whim of whoever stamped the number) and brief description, ie rough/smooth finish, sandcast forks (with holes) or die cast (no holes) for pre 8xxxxx serial models and for later models the tube colour.

If known, it's nice to get further details such as whether it has special coatings and for later models whether it has StarBright coatings and the model type, ie Celestar, Super C8, Super C8 Plus, Super Polaris, etc

Bonuses are the motor dates and any other indication of production / sale date.

Welcome extras are the corrector and mirror numbers (if known).

• kksmith likes this

#479 Kasmos

Kasmos

Vanguard

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 20 March 2018 - 03:19 PM

...and photos.

• Masvingo likes this

#480 Masvingo

Masvingo

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 25 March 2018 - 08:46 AM

I've updated the C8 Registry to version 13E to include quality guy's 1978 C8, thanks for your details.

#481 ScoobyNarita

ScoobyNarita

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Narita, Japan

Posted 02 April 2018 - 02:57 AM

Greetings from a new member.  I have a new (to me) Vixen SP-SC200L telescope that I know little about.  The Vixen SP-SC200L appears to be Japan's rebadged version of the Celestron C8, which I was able to determine with the help of my fellow amateur radio friends in Kansas City and Omaha.

I first noticed the instrument for sale in a Japanese second hand shop near my home in Narita, Japan in November 2017.  The unit remained unsold in the shop for at least two months, perhaps because it appeared to be incomplete.  The fact that it was still upright, and not broken, is testimony to the weight and stability of the Equatorial Mount (GEM) that it was mounted on.  (Regarding the mount, I was ignorant to what it was, but it looked precise and very expensive.)

I did a little research on SCTs and I decided to inquire about the instrument with the store staff.  (keep in mind, virtually no English is spoken here). When I queried the store manager, with the help of GoogleTranslate, he seemed motivated to get rid of it.  I determined that there was a box of accessories in the back, which I examined.

The dovetail mount appeared to be part of the original installation but it was unclear, based on the original boxes, if that was the case.  (There was no documentation except for a single sheet of paper in Japanese which explained some planetary viewing techniques.). Also, no obvious OTA box or trunk.  (I may go back and see if it might still be in the back of the store.)

The total package included the OTA, the equatorial mount, two 0.96 inch Vixen Kellner eyepieces (20 mm and 25 mm), two 0.96 inch Vixen Orthoscopic eyepieces (5 mm and 9 mm), a diagonal prism, a set of six Celestron eyepiece filters, a battery powered light-pipe polar alignment reticle illuminator of some kind, a hex tool kit and a green plastic container (not sure what that was for).  The mirrors and coatings looked intact and relatively clean.  I noticed a little fungus on the inside of the front cell corrector plate, probably from the hot, humid summers here in Japan.  I also noticed some oily residue on the inside of the OTA flocking (not on the mirrors) perhaps some grease or oil from the focus mechanism...

I was prepared to negotiate on the price but the price he offered was below what I was prepared to pay.  I thought that $70 USD for everything was a steal.  (I figured the eyepieces were worth that...)

I did not have a vehicle to haul the thing home, so you can imagine I looked a little strange walking down the street with it.

I am not entirely sure what the equivalent C8 version would be.  Perhaps an experienced eye, and these photos, can help.  I will provide more details as best I can.

The orange secondary trim cap concealed the Celestron C8 badge, the S/N 862826 plate and Patent 3837124RE29878.  There is a "Special Coating" label under the carry strap.  Perhaps Masvingo/James can add this unit to the next registry update.

Any and all comments would be appreciated.
  • JakeJ, Live_Steam_Mad, DreamWeaver and 3 others like this

#482 ScoobyNarita

ScoobyNarita

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 April 2018 - 03:59 AM

VixenSP-SC200L_C8_1.jpg

As discovered in the second hand shop...

VixenSP-SC200L_C8_2.jpg

I was able to locate the serial number after carefully removing the orange decorative cap.

• Live_Steam_Mad, DreamWeaver, Masvingo and 3 others like this

#483 ScoobyNarita

ScoobyNarita

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 April 2018 - 05:06 AM

VixenSP-SC200L_C8_7.jpg

Here are the some of the accessories which were included.  The original Vixen price tag on one of the eyepieces was slightly less than what I paid for the whole set-up.

VixenSP-SC200L_C8_5.jpg

• DreamWeaver, deepwoods1, Masvingo and 1 other like this

#484 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 02 April 2018 - 05:42 AM

attachicon.gif VixenSP-SC200L_C8_7.jpg

Here are the some of the accessories which were included.  The original Vixen price tag on one of the eyepieces was slightly less than what I paid for the whole set-up.

attachicon.gif VixenSP-SC200L_C8_5.jpg

Odd to see .965 OD stuff with a C8 nate. I must have 3 of them pin lites for the SP mounts.

#485 ScoobyNarita

ScoobyNarita

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 April 2018 - 06:07 AM

After doing a little reading before I bought it, I agree.  Knowing very little, I see that most people use 1.25 inch OD eyepieces.  I'm guessing this C8 was made in the late 1980's, however I can't be sure.  I'm hopeful that it came after the production run that was renowned for substandard quality.

#486 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

Posted 02 April 2018 - 06:14 AM

After doing a little reading before I bought it, I agree.  Knowing very little, I see that most people use 1.25 inch OD eyepieces.  I'm guessing this C8 was made in the late 1980's, however I can't be sure.  I'm hopeful that it came after the production run that was renowned for substandard quality.

It must have been sold in Japan when new i guess.  You never know about the optics in any year.  You could buy a SCT with great optics and the next is bad no matter what year. That mount is a killer for sure. One of the best mounts ever made.  Most came with wood legs. so maybe that mount is around a 1990 or later.

#487 shredder1656

shredder1656

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 02 April 2018 - 06:16 AM

I am far from actually qualified to talk in depth about this scope, but I think you got a killer deal on that.  I am picking up one that is very similar to yours tomorrow.  The mount that yours is on is probably worth 2-3x what you paid for the whole kit.  Lump the eyepieces into the mix, and I would say you did very very well.  Outstanding!  If the telescope's optics stink, you are still way ahead. 

Mine is from a similar era, I think.  I did not get as many eyepieces as you did, but I did get a case.  I paid more, and still am very happy. 

NICE job!

• JakeJ, terraclarke and rcwolpert like this

#488 rcwolpert

rcwolpert

Vanguard

• Loc: South Hutchinson Island, Florida

Posted 02 April 2018 - 06:46 AM

Amazing deal! I used to fly into Narita 6x a year. I should have checked out some of the local shops! laugh.gif

#489 JakeJ

JakeJ

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 02 April 2018 - 07:31 AM

Probably mid 80's - it still has the ribbed back.  They changed to the smooth back when they retooled somewhere around 87 and came out with the Ultima C8.  

I agree you got an outstanding deal on that one.

#490 ScoobyNarita

ScoobyNarita

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 April 2018 - 06:37 PM

I understand that there were some changes made to the Celestron C8 over the decades and many of these changes (hopefully good changes) are used by fans to date their C8s.  Based on my CN reading, many of the early C8s were dated by the paint system used, or the manufacturing methods used for their fork/wedge mounts or the DOM of the motors in their base.  (Mine has neither of these last two features.)  Has anyone created a Celestron C8 (or C#) collector's guide that shows some of the common (or rare) features that correlate to the history and evolution of the model?

• Masvingo likes this

#491 ScoobyNarita

ScoobyNarita

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 April 2018 - 06:39 PM

I've seen reference to the following C8 variants: Super C8, Classic C8, the Ultima C8.  What are the differences between these models and were they all sold during the same period?  I see overlapping serial number runs, which means Celestron must have simultaneously marketed these models.  Since at least one CN member used to work at Celestron in the early days, we may have access to some unique, first-hand knowledge of the C8 line and perhaps what the basis of some of the changes were.  Considering the number of C8s produced over the years, it's amazing that I had to go to Japan to see one in the wild.

• Masvingo likes this

#492 Masvingo

Masvingo

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 03 April 2018 - 05:28 PM

Hi ScoobyNarita,

Welcome to CN and thanks for the details and pictures of your Vixen SP-SC200L, I will add them to the Registry this week.  

Based on the serial number and the info we have in the Registry I would say your scope was produced around 1989.  Celestron had a relationship with Vixen around then with the Celestron Super Polaris C8 (a C8 OTA on a Vixen Super Polaris mount) being sold in the mid to late 80s and the Celstron Great Polaris C8 being introduced in 1993.  It's interesting to see that your scope has 0.965" eyepieces as I think that the Celestron C8 always had 1.25" eyepieces, although the early C5s came with 0.965" eyepieces.

Uncle Rod's (Rod Mollise) Used CAT Buyer's Guide has a good round up of the various Celestron (and Meade) models and is well worth a look.  Based on what Rod says, the last Super C8, which came in in the Powerstar era, the Ultima C8 and the Classic C8 (a cheaper entry level model) did have overlapping production periods.

Edited by Masvingo, 03 April 2018 - 05:29 PM.

#493 shredder1656

shredder1656

Surveyor 1

Posted 04 April 2018 - 12:48 PM

Would a circa 1991 SP-C8 qualify for the registry?

SP-C8 w/Starbright Coating group

Serial number: 877184

Purchased with chest, mount/tripod, books, and other accessories. One previous owner, according to that owner. Manual in the kit shows a date of 1991, as does the issue of S&T and Deep Sky, that were in the box.

Corrector has fungus, and the Ultima ep that came with it does too. Peering through the corrector, I could not see any issues with the primary. Should clean up very well, I hope.

20180404_133538.jpg 20180404_133614.jpg 20180404_133401.jpg 20180404_110229.jpg

Edited by shredder1656, 04 April 2018 - 04:25 PM.

• Masvingo and terraclarke like this

#494 Masvingo

Masvingo

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 04 April 2018 - 02:23 PM

Definitely, thanks for you details shredder.

And thanks also for your details, Terry, and ScoobyNarita.

I've updated the C8 Registry to the 14th Edition - the new entries are, as usual, highlighted in blue.

Thanks again for all your details.

#495 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

Posted 04 April 2018 - 06:02 PM

SP-C8 w/Starbright Coating group

Serial number: 877184

Purchased with chest, mount/tripod, books, and other accessories. One previous owner, according to that owner. Manual in the kit shows a date of 1991, as does the issue of S&T and Deep Sky, that were in the box.

Corrector has fungus, and the Ultima ep that came with it does too. Peering through the corrector, I could not see any issues with the primary. Should clean up very well, I hope.

attachicon.gif 20180404_133538.jpgattachicon.gif 20180404_133614.jpgattachicon.gif 20180404_133401.jpgattachicon.gif 20180404_110229.jpg

Best mount ever made.

#496 shredder1656

shredder1656

Surveyor 1

Posted 05 April 2018 - 07:55 PM

I think I might need to remove the corrector and clean the inside surface.  I am not sure, though.  If there was fungus on the outside surface, what are the chances that either one of the mirrors has fungus too.  There are a few spots on the primary that look like they might be fungus, but I could not get clear pictures.  The exterior of the corrector was the most affected for sure.  It cleaned up fairly well. 

I do not want to remove the corrector or touch the primary.  But, I do not want fungus to continue to grow there either. 

20180404_110229.jpg 20180405_205310.jpg

• Masvingo, rcwolpert and ScoobyNarita like this

#497 ScoobyNarita

ScoobyNarita

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 April 2018 - 01:59 AM

I think I might need to remove the corrector and clean the inside surface.  I am not sure, though.  If there was fungus on the outside surface, what are the chances that either one of the mirrors has fungus too.  There are a few spots on the primary that look like they might be fungus, but I could not get clear pictures.  The exterior of the corrector was the most affected for sure.  It cleaned up fairly well. 

I do not want to remove the corrector or touch the primary.  But, I do not want fungus to continue to grow there either. 

attachicon.gif 20180405_205310.jpg

Hi shredder1656 - your after photo makes it appear quite clean now.  Did you end up having to remove the corrector or not?  After reading your post above, it wasn't clear if your fungus was inside, or outside, or both.  I have visually determined that my C8 has fungus inside and I am waiting to remove the corrector until I can first figure out a way (while I'm in there) to clean up the oily film on the tube flocking without doing any damage or contaminating other areas.  Better yet, find out why there's an oily residue covering half the surface area of the tube flocking in the first place !  My buddy and I have pondered this and I may post questions in a more topic-appropriate forum.  When I removed the focus knob and examined the screw shaft, I saw a very small bead of grease on the threaded focus shaft, but the bead was undisturbed and there did not seem to be any other obvious source of lubricant.  After exercising the primary mirror a little, things got smoother and I put it all back together.  I'm still baffled how this happened.  When I open things up, I will document what I see.

• shredder1656 likes this

#498 shredder1656

shredder1656

Surveyor 1

Posted 08 April 2018 - 03:50 AM

Hi shredder1656 - your after photo makes it appear quite clean now.  Did you end up having to remove the corrector or not?  After reading your post above, it wasn't clear if your fungus was inside, or outside, or both.  I have visually determined that my C8 has fungus inside and I am waiting to remove the corrector until I can first figure out a way (while I'm in there) to clean up the oily film on the tube flocking without doing any damage or contaminating other areas.  Better yet, find out why there's an oily residue covering half the surface area of the tube flocking in the first place !  My buddy and I have pondered this and I may post questions in a more topic-appropriate forum.  When I removed the focus knob and examined the screw shaft, I saw a very small bead of grease on the threaded focus shaft, but the bead was undisturbed and there did not seem to be any other obvious source of lubricant.  After exercising the primary mirror a little, things got smoother and I put it all back together.  I'm still baffled how this happened.  When I open things up, I will document what I see.

I did not remove the corrector.  You are welcome to post in my thread.  I am searching first, no luck so far, to find better details on collimation.  I have spent a couple hours trying to get it done, and no dice.  I need a "Collimation for Dumber than Dummies" book.  LOL

#499 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 08 April 2018 - 07:13 AM

I need a "Collimation for Dumber than Dummies" book.  LOL

YouTube , For You ........ like-button.jpg lol.gif

• shredder1656 likes this

#500 Masvingo

Masvingo

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 08 April 2018 - 01:43 PM

When I removed the focus knob and examined the screw shaft, I saw a very small bead of grease on the threaded focus shaft, but the bead was undisturbed and there did not seem to be any other obvious source of lubricant.

Possibly grease on the baffle tube which also acts as the guide along which the mirror moves when focusing? 

I've heard reports of the grease separating with time and the lighter, oily part running down the baffle tube and dropping onto the corrector plate when the 'scope is stored with the corrector facing downwards - see for example, this thread on the Celestron NexStar forum and this thread on the Cats & Casses forum.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics