•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron C8 Registry

• Please log in to reply
587 replies to this topic

#576 North of Detroit

North of Detroit

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 April 2019 - 11:20 PM

I recently won a estate auction for my first ever telescope.  SN 151816   At  60 seconds to the end of bidding somebody else  decided my $71 bid ( Canadian= $55 US)  wasn't going to be enough . My MAX bid was $261 Canadian ( $190 US) which was good enough to get it

This was a online auction where you do not get to view it before hand...... I think I did alright since the unit include a newer Meade 2 inch enhanced diagonal .... and a  red dot finder  the bill for these was included in the box showing the last owner had spent $254 Canadian on them in 2015 

Enjoying this site for all the great info about this classic  and learning more each day I read another thread

Here is the link to the auction results  for some pictures  that I used to make my bidding decisions on...... oh the missing parts?

bolts to mount scope to wedge  no power cord ( part needed has arrived to make one 2 prong)

https://maxsold.maxs...case-a-1376177/

Paul

• CCD-Freak, TSSClay, Kasmos and 1 other like this

#577 CCD-Freak

CCD-Freak

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Whitesboro,Texas

Posted 23 April 2019 - 08:48 AM

That looks like an early "sand cast" model so you did well.  The broken finder mount should not be too hard to find.

John

CCD-Freak

WD5IKX 

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#578 Kasmos

Kasmos

Surveyor 1

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 23 April 2019 - 01:16 PM

I recently won a estate auction for my first ever telescope.  SN 151816   At  60 seconds to the end of bidding somebody else  decided my $71 bid ( Canadian= $55 US)  wasn't going to be enough . My MAX bid was $261 Canadian ( $190 US) which was good enough to get it

This was a online auction where you do not get to view it before hand...... I think I did alright since the unit include a newer Meade 2 inch enhanced diagonal .... and a  red dot finder  the bill for these was included in the box showing the last owner had spent $254 Canadian on them in 2015 

Enjoying this site for all the great info about this classic  and learning more each day I read another thread

Here is the link to the auction results  for some pictures  that I used to make my bidding decisions on...... oh the missing parts?

bolts to mount scope to wedge  no power cord ( part needed has arrived to make one 2 prong)

Paul

You got a good deal.

It's a sand cast model The serial # indicates it was made the 1st quarter of 1976. I can tell by the construction that the wedge is the diecast type, but the tripod is the sand cast type.

#579 theApex

theApex

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: 51W 23S

Posted 26 April 2019 - 07:58 PM

Paul

Funny how they labeled the lot a 'Meade Celestron Telescope' based on the fact the diagonal's is the most easily identifiable brand in it for the, erm, 'non-connoisseur'. grin.gif

Edited by theApex, 26 April 2019 - 08:00 PM.

#580 cbwerner

cbwerner

Bicycle Repairman

• Administrators
  • Loc: Maidens, VA

Posted 28 April 2019 - 05:57 PM

I just acquired a new to me C8, an Orange tube with the Byers worm gear drive, Serial #818398. I understand it dates to 1981. Thanks.

• Dartguy likes this

#581 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Apollo

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 29 April 2019 - 11:50 AM

I recently acquired a 1973 sandcast C-8 from a member here. It does not have the original tripod  but rather a later model tripod of the same design. The telescope itself appears to have all the original parts with it like the finder   it also came with a 90 degree orange finder. It does seem to go out of collimation easily. One wonders if there is a reason and a fix for this? Someone mentioned that old grease can harden and fall out.   I am not sure. I do know that I will collimate it and get used to using it before I do  anything..... 

#582 Kasmos

Kasmos

Surveyor 1

Posted 29 April 2019 - 09:16 PM

I just acquired a new to me C8, an Orange tube with the Byers worm gear drive, Serial #818398. I understand it dates to 1981. Thanks.

A 81 at the beginning of a serial number does not indicate the year.

A new sequence of serial numbers beginning with an 8 started early in 1979 where the 8 stands for the size.

Based on the others in the registry with dates, scopes ranging from 817151 to 819000 are likely from 1983.

Here's the link to the list:

http://www.summers1....erialnumber.jpg

Edited by Kasmos, 29 April 2019 - 09:16 PM.

• cbwerner likes this

#583 cbwerner

cbwerner

Bicycle Repairman

• Administrators

Posted 29 April 2019 - 09:23 PM

A 81 at the beginning of a serial number does not indicate the year.

A new sequence of serial numbers beginning with an 8 started early in 1979 where the 8 stands for the size.

Based on the others in the registry with dates, scopes ranging from 817151 to 819000 are likely from 1983.

Here's the link to the list:

http://www.summers1....erialnumber.jpg

Thanks for the info.

I wasn't actually working off of the serial number for the date. I purchased the scope from a fellow CN member who used to be a dealer and stashed some scopes that he felt were good specimens. The 1981 reference was based on his recollection, but you know how the memory goes . . .

Thanks again for the link!

#584 Steve_M_M

Steve_M_M

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 29 April 2019 - 09:47 PM

817220-Orange tube purchased from original owner.  Included wedge and tube tripod with the insecure clips locks

805667-Orange tube purchased from 2nd owner.  Wedge and original Locked triangle tripod

#585 Kasmos

Kasmos

Surveyor 1

Posted 29 April 2019 - 09:49 PM

Thanks for the info.

I wasn't actually working off of the serial number for the date. I purchased the scope from a fellow CN member who used to be a dealer and stashed some scopes that he felt were good specimens. The 1981 reference was based on his recollection, but you know how the memory goes . . .

Thanks again for the link!

Yup, between bad recollections, new ones sitting long in showrooms, or having several owners, some scopes in the registry are surely dated wrong.

But it does sort of give us a general consensus to date them.

In my case my C8's date is firm. I bought mine from my brother whos neighbor worked at Celestron and picked it off the assembly line. It took three days of production before he picked one with a high (in house), grade. No lag time since it was brought home the evening of the day it was made.

• cbwerner and Defenderslideguitar like this

#586 cbwerner

cbwerner

Bicycle Repairman

• Administrators

Posted 29 April 2019 - 09:53 PM

Yup, between bad recollections, new ones sitting long in showrooms, or having several owners, some scopes in the registry are surely dated wrong.

But it does sort of give us a general consensus to date them.

In my case my C8's date is firm. I bought mine from my brother whos neighbor worked at Celestron and picked it off the assembly line. It took three days of production before he picked one with a high (in house), grade. No lag time since it was brought home the evening of the day it was made.

Sweet!!! :)

• Kasmos likes this

#587 wrvond

wrvond

Apollo

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 01 May 2019 - 09:43 AM

My C8 is not a classic, but this thread is the only real source of information I can find, and the serial number does fall into the ones already listed on the spreadsheet.

It is a black tube with starbright coatings on a CG-5 GoTo mount. I've opened the covers on the mount and inspected the motors for possible date labels, but they are plain with no numbers anywhere that I can see.

General information would indicate it was made in 2005 or later. I'd like to get a more specific date if I can. Is there a way to glean this information without major surgery (right now removing the corrector counts as major surgery to me).

The serial number is: 949841  I purchased it April 27th and suspect I am at least the third owner, though it is in pristine condition.

Thanks!

Edited by wrvond, 01 May 2019 - 09:43 AM.

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#588 CeeKay

CeeKay

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Vancouver, WA

Posted 04 May 2019 - 12:56 PM

I wanted to add my C8 to the registry.  Here's the background on it:

I bought it at Scope City in 1989 when I was stationed in San Diego on instructor duty - **** off the girlfriend that I was living with (she thought I was "wasting my money".).  Came with the diagonal, two Parks eyepieces (10mm GS-5 and 35mm GS-5) and a 26mm Celestron Plossel.  Was originally an SPC-8, but my ex-wife's daughters damaged the wooden legs on the mount and I replaced them back in 2008 with the AS-GT mount (Ex-wife was **** about sending the money on the new mount, but happy to spend the same amount of Coach purses, shoes, etc.).  Have had a string of bad luck with women understanding my hobbies... current girlfriend is OK with it and her kids think its "neat".

Has been with me at most of my assignments while in the Navy - got to see SL-9 impact on Jupiter while living in Japan, see comets while stationed in 29 Palms and see other sights while in other locations in the US.  Been retired since 2008 and calling the PNW home since then (except when I worked for 2 1/2 years in Saudi Arabia - got to see a total eclipse there!).

The number on the cap is 858784.

20190504 102041 Rev
20190504 102049 Rev

• deepwoods1, wrvond and Defenderslideguitar like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics