After a long time of searching, I FINALLY found the serial number of my C-8. It isn't ANYWHERE on the scope. The cap on the front has no evidence it ever had the sticker others show. I have never even removed the orange cover over the collimation screws until earlier this year when I added Bob's Knobs to the beast.
I even took off the corrector plate last year to lightly/carefully clean it, and didn't see a serial number anywhere, though I'd heard it might be on there.
But I just came across the original invoice from July, 1985, and attached to it was the Celestron Optical Certification which lists the S/N as #6356. That number doesn't seem like ANY of the ones in the registry, near the date of mine, and I can't explain that. Maybe someone else can.
Bought it from "Ad-Libs Astronomics", now just known as "Astronomics".
It was purchased as a Super Polaris C-8 kit, with Starbright Coatings, and a single motor (RA). It actually did a fairly decent job of tracking until the stepper quit altogether. I hadn't used it in many years, but a friend led me back into the hobby, and I upgraded this one about 5 years ago to an AVX mount and sold the SP mount and hardware, and have added just a couple of additional options. <grin>
The OTA is from the "Pre-Halley" era where some people had reported quality issues, but my mentor/friend who's been in the field for about 50 years has commented that he's been very impressed with the image quality from my "little" scope. (He has a backyard observatory with a pier-mounted 10" Meade S-Cat, a 65mm AstroTech , and a WHOLE lot more experience in AP than I have.)
It's given me many hours of enjoyment, and I've tried to take good care of it. Looks like it did the day it first came out of that big trunk.
Edited by Flyboyron, 23 November 2019 - 04:27 PM.