•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron C8 Registry

• Please log in to reply
969 replies to this topic

#951 RSX11M+

RSX11M+

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 12 March 2021 - 12:45 PM

Im courios, what did these sell for new?

Around 1981 to 85 they sold for around 1000 to 1500 if i remember right.

Validated:

...Here's the receipt from when my father-in-law purchased his Super C8 Plus in 1984. He mail-ordered it from a camera shop on W 46th St, now long gone. He paid $1250 for the scope, tripod and wedge plus $50 to deliver from NYC to SE Virginia. In today's dollars that would be $3150 for the telescope and $125 for shipping. Both comparable to today's highest price 8" SCT and a UPS estimate for shipping.
post-352927-0-09590500-1615393044.png

Interesting....I live near Plano and it would be an interesting story of how it made it all the way to you from the Plano Independent School District. (Plano ISD) in Texas. smile.gif  It is sad that schools often sell scopes that are donated to the school.

The old C8 scopes are real classics and continue to provide great views.  My 1979 C8 is being used by my grand kids at the moment....I am trying to get them hooked on astronomy at a young age. waytogo.gif

Scope-Pusher eh?   ~Good for you.

We'd like to hear that "Plano ISD" story as well, should you decide to check it out.

• JJBjork likes this

#952 Astro Keith

Astro Keith

Sputnik

Posted 12 March 2021 - 02:17 PM

Congratulations on being that "new home" - use it in good health. The existing Registry entry will be amended.

These vintage C8s are indeed highly portable for their performance, which makes them almost practical as "grab'n-go" scopes. Just above back-pack size, the only thing that really inhibits them is dependance upon AC power for the older bases.  

I advocate keeping the original tripod for it's collector value, but updating it to a modern lightweight stand will make the combo noticeably better at travel. It was surprising just how much difference it made - a C8 on a Tiffen ST-600 collapsible aluminum tripod [1] instantly became my preferred spur-of-the-moment scope.

Stewardship is the perfect sentiment to apply when having one of these. I'm grateful and privileged each day, plus they are the perfect living room Objet d'art!

Maybe we could coin the phrase "Scope-Deco"?

Very Good !!!I'm very glad you can appreciate it..I got it for basically nothing and I couldn't make money off it. I've always felt that astronomy is a gift to share not to make profit off a fellow astronomer.

Yes There's something about M42 in that scope that will blow your mind.We didnt even have good seeing with light haze blowing by.Then a moment of clear.I slipped it on the tripod aimed at M42 and focused it in and said get ready to be amazed.I heard him say WOW I can see so much wispy clouds in the nebula.

We had a couple scope's also in use but the C8 took the best views award!!I have a Very Very Good C6 maybe year old and the mirror in the C6 just dont have that same reflective look when looking down inside the tube as the C8.And the C6 has starbright coatings.Yet the C8 has special coatings so maybe the special are better than the starbright.laugh.gif Or maybe the C8 is ground slightly better ?

I'm very glad you have it.I missed it when it left.

I dont mind too badly if I drop my C6 I can get another tomorrow. I'd be heart broken if I dropped THAT C8.

Enjoy it!! just make sure it gets a good home if it moves on!I made sure I full-filled my duty of its passing on.I could see that!!!

I like it Scope-Deco!!!

Keith

Edited by Astro Keith, 12 March 2021 - 02:19 PM.

#953 asjr

asjr

Vendor - Custom 3D printed Astronomy Gear

• Vendors
  • Loc: Orange County, CA

Posted 12 March 2021 - 08:25 PM

Sure!   

-The finder is the 8x50 Vixen RA finder that came with the scope, onto which I have added a reticle EP and adapter tube from my old, (also perl vixen) scope. 

-The crayford focuser is quite heavy, and needs a counterweight,  

-The bracket just came imported via Classic telescopes in Germany (excellent service, never any issues). As it has a wider spacing between the holes in the base, than the original finder, I need to adapt the camera ventrally- It will be interesting to try out  that configuration.

I also got the tripod, wedge and a set of 3 original counterweights from the same vintage shop.

The scope and mount I bought from a private person in Texas, and I don't know how many owners it has had before me. At some point it has belonged to an outdoor school in Texas, see pictures. It came to Denmark shipped in its (very robust) original case. 

I am now searching for the original quartz drive corrector (110V). 

Cheers, Kristian

Hi Kristian,

I have come across 2 finders that appear to be identical, both with Orange tube paint. They are Achromatic air spaced doublets with a helical focuser in the rear. Neither one of the ones I have, had diagonals. One has a .965 reticle eyepiece on the back, the other was missing the ocular lens. The one with the reticle EP will be bundled with a 1978 vintage Celestron Pacific, Orange Tube that I am also restoring. I love giving "new" life to these fine telescopes. I'm restoring my 4th C8 in the last year. I also agree that once you've had a chance to look through one, you'll appreciate the unequaled quality these older scopes possess.

#954 Kristian Bang Jensen

Kristian Bang Jensen

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Copenhagen, Danmark

Posted 13 March 2021 - 06:10 AM

Validated:

Scope-Pusher eh? ~Good for you.

We'd like to hear that "Plano ISD" story as well, should you decide to check it out.

#955 Kristian Bang Jensen

Kristian Bang Jensen

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 March 2021 - 04:08 PM

Validated:

Hehe, I do my best:) 

I'll try to find out more about the provenance of the scope. 

• RSX11M+ likes this

#956 Kristian Bang Jensen

Kristian Bang Jensen

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 March 2021 - 04:43 PM

Hi Kristian,

I have come across 2 finders that appear to be identical, both with Orange tube paint. They are Achromatic air spaced doublets with a helical focuser in the rear. Neither one of the ones I have, had diagonals. One has a .965 reticle eyepiece on the back, the other was missing the ocular lens. The one with the reticle EP will be bundled with a 1978 vintage Celestron Pacific, Orange Tube that I am also restoring. I love giving "new" life to these fine telescopes. I'm restoring my 4th C8 in the last year. I also agree that once you've had a chance to look through one, you'll appreciate the unequaled quality these older scopes possess.

Hi asjr, 

I understand why you restore these C8s. As a child the orange C8 was my dream scope. And as I decided to start with astronomy again, it had to be that exact model, and it certainly doesn't disappoint, including for imaging.

The finderscope is of really nice quality - i have tried to find 25mm reticle EPs - not finding any, I decided to use EP from my 6x30. .   

#957 Kristian Bang Jensen

Kristian Bang Jensen

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 March 2021 - 05:07 PM

Interesting....I live near Plano and it would be an interesting story of how it made it all the way to you from the Plano Independent School District. (Plano ISD) in Texas. smile.gif  It is sad that schools often sell scopes that are donated to the school.

The old C8 scopes are real classics and continue to provide great views.  My 1979 C8 is being used by my grand kids at the moment....I am trying to get them hooked on astronomy at a young age. waytogo.gif  

It also made me curious, and pleased, that the scope has been used by a school. I will try to contact the person I bought it from to find out more.  Good project you have with your grandkids! 

• CCD-Freak likes this

#958 Achim NRW

Achim NRW

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: NRW GERMANY

Posted 21 March 2021 - 12:09 PM

Hello

This is my new Celestron C8.

Love greeting .....Achim

Edited by Achim NRW, 21 March 2021 - 12:10 PM.

• Joe1950 likes this

#959 Achim NRW

Achim NRW

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 21 March 2021 - 12:23 PM

DSC01167-min.JPG DSC01166-min(2).JPG

• Terra Nova, Mike G., Joe1950 and 1 other like this

#960 Achim NRW

Achim NRW

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 March 2021 - 09:18 AM

f922cb55-26d3-4271-8fe2-f02b24c760d9-min.jpg

• CCD-Freak, Terra Nova, Mike G. and 3 others like this

#961 Kristian Bang Jensen

Kristian Bang Jensen

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 25 March 2021 - 03:32 AM

Validated:

I have a few more details about my scope. It was purchased by the Plano ISD 10 or more years ago, and was used for 2-3 years as part of an astronomy program. After that, the telescope was in storage, until it was donated to the gentleman I bought the scope from. He was at the time leading an astronomy program for local youth and families. After he ended his activities with the program, he sold the scope to me. And I am now happy to be keeping it running:)   -Just got a focal reducer for it, to try using it for prime focus DSO.

Cheers,

Kristian  

#962 asjr

asjr

• Vendors

Posted 28 March 2021 - 02:34 PM

I have another addition to the Registry...S/N 825982. This one is a black Super C8 with the Byers Worm Gear drive. I just completed the restoration to the best condition I can while maintaining it's natural character, & it is for sale. The optics are fantastic for almost 40 years old & visual is excellent, as expected. Please see my signature for a link to my website if interested.

Clear skies!

Attached Thumbnails

• SuperC8_1.jpg
  • SuperC8_2.jpg
  • SuperC8_3.jpg
  • SuperC8_4.jpg
  • SuperC8_5.jpg

• CCD-Freak, Terra Nova, brentknight and 1 other like this

#963 Bcknaroni

Bcknaroni

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 04 April 2021 - 09:08 AM

Hi all I just got this Celestron 8 for $40.  There is a smudge on the mirror but it otherwise seems functional for my needs.  Just amateur astronomy fun with my kids. Does anyone have more information on this one?   Or suggestions for where to find one a stand?  Excited to get started with it.  The motorized bit still works too but I'm not sure how to use it.  Thank you!

Attached Thumbnails

• 6299E68A-DACB-4EE5-B401-CE63569545F5.jpeg
  • 2BCB7B8C-5BDE-4A55-9428-30C1203D8BA5.jpeg
  • 6F9047B5-8744-4B84-BCA4-998DD39AFAD7.jpeg

• CCD-Freak, deepwoods1, Terra Nova and 2 others like this

#964 asjr

asjr

• Vendors

Posted 04 April 2021 - 10:12 AM

From the serial number, it was made in the third quarter of 1975. I do have an extra tripod & wedge. If your interested, you can message me directly through CN, outside of this forum.

#965 Beeham

Beeham

Mariner 2

• Loc: Oakland County, Michigan

Posted 09 April 2021 - 07:01 PM

Hello, all:

Here's my C8, it's a 1977 model, serial 232507.  I added the rack-o-stuff on top to hold the telrad, angle finder, and a finder (not shown).  On the bottom is another home-shop aluminum extrusion to hold an adjustable counterweight to offset the mass of the 2" diagonal and contemporary (heavy) eyepieces.  It's old, but the optics are good, and it's a fun scope to use.

Celestron02
Celestron01

• CCD-Freak, brentknight and Rick-T137 like this

#966 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Gemini

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 11 April 2021 - 08:12 PM

Hi all I just got this Celestron 8 for $40.  There is a smudge on the mirror but it otherwise seems functional for my needs.  Just amateur astronomy fun with my kids. Does anyone have more information on this one?   Or suggestions for where to find one a stand?  Excited to get started with itNext Unread Topic →.  The motorized bit still works too but I'm not sure how to use it.  Thank you!

With the holes in the forks   it is a sandcast   model      very nice find   enjoy

#967 ChristopherLP

ChristopherLP

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 April 2021 - 06:27 PM

C8 Collimating and Corrector Plate Question

Hello Everyone,

My name is Chris.  I live in Bellingham, WA.  I'm fairly new to all this.  I was given a 114mm/1000mm Meade reflector from an acquaintance a while back.  About 3 months ago, I got that cleaned up and collimated as best I could.  The issue was with the tripod.  An abomination, I'm sure.  Teeth of the RA stripped out around about a third of the round.  I really enjoyed the small successes, but the issues with the tripod were to much to bear.  I digress, and long story short, I discovered that a decent tripod was going to cost a bit of money, so...  

I've recently purchased this C8 from a man in Enumclaw, WA.  Everything seems to be in good working order, but I'm needing some help with collimating the scope, especially regarding the corrector plate and secondary mirror housing.
I've followed stringent procedures for cleaning the plate, primary and secondary.  All that looks great compared to the state it was in when I purchased.  I've attempted to collimate the secondary with good results, but I'm sure something's not 100%.

Besides the 3 adjustment screws on the secondary mirror housing, does anything else need to be done to the corrector plate?  I marked the plate and replaced it in the same position as before the cleaning.  The picture I'm showing is from the "before" cleaning pictures (there was debris on the inside of the corrector).  The recess for the plate is in fairly tight tolerance - not much room for the plate to shift in any direction - perhaps 1/16" at most.  I attempted to put the plate back in that position, although there was no shimming that did that originally... again, can barely move the plate around in the recess.
The secondary mirror housing is snugly screwed onto the corrector plate. 

I've noticed that when I secure the plate in place with the corrector ring, the secondary housing can still spin counter-clockwise and clockwise (this is NOT turning the entire secondary mirror-already verified that).    Using a collimating cap, I've noticed that this rotation of the secondary housing effects the centering of the primary looking through the collimation cap.  Is that supposed to be the case on this scope?  If I turn the secondary housing enough, either clockwise or counter, it eventually gets tight and feels really solid, but the centering of the primary is usually not at its best. 

I was able to get things fairly well collimated at some point, but I may not have done it correctly.  I realized later that I needed to go all the way through all my eyepieces (32/25/15mm + 2x Barlow).  This may have affected my use of the 15 and Barlow since I may not have gone all the way up to that point.  Is that true?
The other question I have is about the perpendicular aspect of the corrector plate.  Is there any recommended adjustment to that aspect of things?  I ask because I noticed that I could see some of the side of the secondary mirror housing when looking through the collimation cap.  With the plate securing ring off, I carefully checked if that changed if I tilted the plate out of its recess.  It affected and could correct some of that discrepancy.  Is this type of adjustment necessary?   Does it indicate a major issue with the scope (hope not)?

There is a small dent in the tube.  Seems minor to me.  Not a major dent at all.  Also noticed that there are two empty screw holes in the gray main corrector plate housing which attaches to the orange tube.  Are there supposed to be screws there?  I notice that the housing is very secure to the tube and cannot be moved.  The screw holes of the gray ring and the tube are perfectly lines up as well. 

Ever since I was a kid, I wanted a telescope.  I'm hoping I can get this working to the best degree possible.  Any advice?  Videos?  Forum threads?  I've done a lot of research, even before I bought this scope.  I've watched countless YouTube videos.  Sometimes Google just doesn't get you where you need to go.  Any help is greatly appreciated. 

20210414 150637
Album: Celestron C8
3 images
0 comments

All the best,
Chris

Edited by ChristopherLP, 14 April 2021 - 06:29 PM.

#968 rfsonders

rfsonders

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 April 2021 - 11:34 PM

Hello C8 owners.

I am the original owner of a C8, mid 1970's.

I would like to register the scope with your list.  Serial number: 817649

I am also looking for a power cord for this scope. Over the many years, I have lost the cord. the 3-prong plug.

Referenced here.

http://www.company7....8manual1971.pdf

I welcome thoughts from this group.

Thank you in advance.

Robert Sonders

#969 B 26354

B 26354

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southern California semi-desert (NELM mag 5.3)

Posted 16 April 2021 - 01:33 AM

I am also looking for a power cord for this scope. Over the many years, I have lost the cord. the 3-prong plug.

Referenced here.

These chords are now basically impossible to find. On this web-page:

https://www.surpluss...lecCords-1.html

...you could get the "AC Power Cord 8 ft Long (WCC) 860172-B00", or the "AC Power Cord 10 ft Long (WCC) HP-ACCORD/PE"... and possibly splice a North American 3-prong plug onto it.

shrug.gif

#970 GalaxyPiper

GalaxyPiper

Viking 1

• Loc: Sacramento, California

Posted Yesterday, 10:09 PM

Hello C8 owners.

I am the original owner of a C8, mid 1970's.

I would like to register the scope with your list.  Serial number: 817649

Referenced here.

I welcome thoughts from this group.

Thank you in advance.

Robert Sonders

The very early C8's took a "Cinch Jones" two prong plug. That was soon replaced with a three prong plug. You can't find the made up Cinch Jones cable. You have to make them yourself by buying the ends.

https://www.ebay.com...id=150991276827

The wider slot is suppose to be the "Hot" side. But research this beforehand.

The switch to the three prong was to eliminate any ground fault shocks from moisture.

Your local ACE hardware store might still have them.

The three prong A/C cables were used on many appliances like electric griddles. So ACE again might have it, or change your search parameters to GE appliance cables.

It's called an "HP Oval round pin, AC power cord".  A google search can be found Here.

I believe "HP" stood for "Hewlett Packard" and was used on many of their equipment also.

Here is some information on the "Obsolete" power cord. http://madrona.ca/e/...onn/index.html 

The "Belden 17952 cordset" is the one you want, as it has the correct polarity. The 17280 has the opposite polarity, so you want to make sure you have the correct one.

Bryan

Edited by GalaxyPiper, Today, 01:03 PM.

• Augustus likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics