•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron C8 Registry

• Please log in to reply
1015 replies to this topic

#976 RSX11M+

RSX11M+

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 10 May 2021 - 03:40 AM

Thank you all for your submissions and updates since Feb 25, 2021.

Sonoran, whosthebadman, Kristian Bang Jensen, BVH, asjr (x 2), McGarnicle, Achim NRW, Bcknaroni, Beeham, ChristopherLP, rfsonders, jerrybx, nexplcbl, and JeffAstro - your scopes have been added and updated based upon your comments and our interactions.

BVH - Based solely on the SN provided, we agree it's manufacture likely dates to 1978-1979. If you could post pics of your scope, we might be better able to classify it.

rfsonders - based on the SN provided and your description of a "3-prong" ac chord requirement, it is more likely your scope dates to the mid-1980's manufacture. Once again, pics might help this classification.

This release contains a number of updates to scopes potentially in the registry already. While possibly valid, ambiguities in serial numbering can also cause this confusion. The following scopes may require more details if you feel they were classified incorrectly.

Beeham - Please re-check the serial number. Based upon your photo and other evidence, the number is likely 282507. Believing this to be correct, your scope was in the registry under a previous owner, and that entry has been updated.

ChristopherLP - Your scope was also previously registered, and the owner info has been updated. I believe the "empty holes in corrector plate housing" you refer to may be provisions for accessories. If you could provide a photo of them and their location, we might clear that up.

JeffAstro - We appreciate your scope may appear similar to another, but details are often telling. The serial number provided was already in the registry, attributed to Von Braun Astronomical Society (VBAS) in Huntsville AL by CN member thb.  If all that's correct, your scope is very early after Tri-color production in 1973, but I stress this is highly questionable. Photos of the unit, it's fork arms, base, number plaque, and other features will assure this classification. It could also be that you have a Tri-color unit (rare) so please follow up.

The new Registry with these additions is offered in JPG and PDF.

Please note that in this edition of the registry, highlighted entries reflect only changed or new information since this edition. Highlights are periodically reset to help guide followers' to relevant changes.
  • Rick-T137 and ChristopherLP like this

#977 RSX11M+

RSX11M+

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 10 May 2021 - 03:47 AM

Here's the beaut I picked up this past winter. I haven't used it since we are moving this week but, I'm really looking forward to seeing what it can do.

Good luck with your explorations and the move.

FYI: SN 816298 dates to 1982 manufacture.

This unit is not currently in the registry, and will be added in the next issue. Thank you!

• Rick-T137 likes this

#978 Uranotopia

Uranotopia

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Southwestern Germany and northwestern Kasakhstan (when on holidays)

Posted 15 May 2021 - 06:16 AM

Today I finally got a vintage Celestron 8, orange tube.
Serial number is 361016, but the former owner doesn't know anything about date of manufacture.
Was sold by Vehrenberg KG in Germany.
Perhaps you can estimate the year this one was produced.

Best wishes from Germany, still in Corona's quarantine...

small PSX_20210515_130112.jpg

small IMG_20210515_123936.jpg

small IMG_20210515_123641b.jpg

Edited by Uranotopia, 15 May 2021 - 06:16 AM.

• davidmcgo, Magnus Ahrling, brentknight and 3 others like this

#979 B 26354

B 26354

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southern California semi-desert (NELM mag 5.3)

Posted 15 May 2021 - 09:22 AM

What a beauty! Looks to be in pristine, flawless shape. The serial # indicates manufacture in 3rd quarter of 1976.

Love to see some photos of the optics!   grin.gif

• Uranotopia likes this

#980 RSX11M+

RSX11M+

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 15 May 2021 - 11:01 AM

Today I finally got a vintage Celestron 8, orange tube.
Serial number is 361016, but the former owner doesn't know anything about date of manufacture.
Was sold by Vehrenberg KG in Germany.
Perhaps you can estimate the year this one was produced.

Best wishes from Germany, still in Corona's quarantine...

attachicon.gifsmall PSX_20210515_130112.jpg
attachicon.gifsmall IMG_20210515_123936.jpg
attachicon.gifsmall IMG_20210515_123641b.jpg

What a beauty! Looks to be in pristine, flawless shape. The serial # indicates manufacture in 3rd quarter of 1976.

Love to see some photos of the optics!   grin.gif

Agree on that date of manufacture - there's no ambiguity. Of course, when it was first SOLD may lag a bit. In the US, I've seen scopes that sat in stores and small shops well over a year. (personally I can think of a 3-year instance)

You have a Pebble-finish C8 from year 1 of the Die-cast era,  somewhere between the 500th-700th scope into that series. Should have a 3-prong power chord and probably a 4-screw metal housed secondary holder.(?) Included items would be plastic corrector cover, rear cell dust cap, finder. 

I also note the production transition to the longer style focus knob mechanism.

-~-

Everything I see looks correct for that vintage and serial number, except perhaps the rear cell cap which is usually yellow, not black. Sometimes these are lost and replaced with aftermarket or out-of-period new.

Looks clean indeed and is correctly assembled. Like to hear how it performs for you - and maybe a couple additional photo angles?

Thanks for registering!

• Joe1950 and Uranotopia like this

#981 Uranotopia

Uranotopia

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Southwestern Germany and northwestern Kasakhstan (when on holidays)

Posted 16 May 2021 - 07:07 AM

Agree on that date of manufacture - there's no ambiguity. Of course, when it was first SOLD may lag a bit. In the US, I've seen scopes that sat in stores and small shops well over a year. (personally I can think of a 3-year instance)

You have a Pebble-finish C8 from year 1 of the Die-cast era,  somewhere between the 500th-700th scope into that series. Should have a 3-prong power chord and probably a 4-screw metal housed secondary holder.(?) Included items would be plastic corrector cover, rear cell dust cap, finder. 

I also note the production transition to the longer style focus knob mechanism.

-~-

Everything I see looks correct for that vintage and serial number, except perhaps the rear cell cap which is usually yellow, not black. Sometimes these are lost and replaced with aftermarket or out-of-period new.

Looks clean indeed and is correctly assembled. Like to hear how it performs for you - and maybe a couple additional photo angles?

Thanks for registering!

Thanks for so much further information.
I have made some more photos of the scope, I am going to show now.
Due to bad weather conditions I haven't still been able to test the scope at night.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20210516_133629 klein.jpg
  • IMG_20210516_133611 klein.jpg
  • IMG_20210516_133701 klein.jpg
  • IMG_20210516_133741 klein.jpg

• Magnus Ahrling, brentknight, Rick-T137 and 1 other like this

#982 Old Speckled Hen

Old Speckled Hen

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: 56.4451° N, 3.1670° W

Posted 04 June 2021 - 01:14 PM

Can I just point out a wee error on the list?

Serial 851489 is actually 951489 with mirror set 227 but only scribed markings on corrector edge not serial number.

Purchased when I was working overseas approx 2004/2005.

scratchhead2.gif

• RSX11M+ likes this

#983 RSX11M+

RSX11M+

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 04 June 2021 - 07:48 PM

Andrew Brown - Thank you so much! That was a typo I apparently made in the original hand re-entry/translation of the registry to it's current format.

Those things are so hard to catch, and are Very Much Appreciated.

That correction will be applied in the next issue.

To Everyone... Please speak up if you see other errors or even suspect them. Checking my own work is a relatively fruitless endeavor, so please know you are helping with each error found.

#984 ChristopherLP

ChristopherLP

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 June 2021 - 10:59 PM

Thank you all for your submissions and updates since Feb 25, 2021.

This release contains a number of updates to scopes potentially in the registry already. While possibly valid, ambiguities in serial numbering can also cause this confusion. The following scopes may require more details if you feel they were classified incorrectly.

Beeham - Please re-check the serial number. Based upon your photo and other evidence, the number is likely 282507. Believing this to be correct, your scope was in the registry under a previous owner, and that entry has been updated.

ChristopherLP - Your scope was also previously registered, and the owner info has been updated. I believe the "empty holes in corrector plate housing" you refer to may be provisions for accessories. If you could provide a photo of them and their location, we might clear that up.

The new Registry with these additions is offered in JPG and PDF.

Please note that in this edition of the registry, highlighted entries reflect only changed or new information since this edition. Highlights are periodically reset to help guide followers' to relevant changes.

RSXM11+ : Do you have any information that you could share with me?  Anything already known about this scope that I might find out about that isn't in the PDF?  I'm interested to know its history

Thank you,

Chris

Edited by ChristopherLP, 11 June 2021 - 11:26 PM.

#985 pierce

pierce

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Cruz, CA

Posted 12 June 2021 - 02:14 AM

another one, which I posted on the classic scopes thread, and on the end of another guy's C8 thread, but probably should go in the database.

this C8 was recently donated to the Santa Cruz Astronomy Club by the long time owner, it had been in a closet for decades.

having carefully examined the stamping on the serial plate, using various light angles, and magnifying glasses, I'm quite sure it says 2301 (space) 0

its got the diecast arms with no holes, and its on the 'crutch leg' tripod with a wedge.    its in great shape, and has the big 2" diagonal, and a vintage 2" Celestron 32mm Erfle.

photobarrage.

PXL_20210526_154139877-X3.jpg

PXL_20210526_154131226-X3.jpg

PXL_20210526_154154102-X3.jpg

PXL_20210526_154228520-X3.jpg

PXL_20210526_161553683-X3.jpg

• Magnus Ahrling, Rick-T137 and RSX11M+ like this

#986 RSX11M+

RSX11M+

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 12 June 2021 - 03:40 AM

C8 Collimating and Corrector Plate Question

Hello Everyone,
My name is Chris.  I live in Bellingham, WA.  I'm fairly new to all this.  I was given a 114mm/1000mm Meade reflector from an acquaintance a while back.  About 3 months ago, I got that cleaned up and collimated as best I could.  The issue was with the tripod.  An abomination, I'm sure.  Teeth of the RA stripped out around about a third of the round.  I really enjoyed the small successes, but the issues with the tripod were to much to bear.  I digress, and long story short, I discovered that a decent tripod was going to cost a bit of money, so...  
I've recently purchased this C8 from a man in Enumclaw, WA.  Everything seems to be in good working order, but I'm needing some help with collimating the scope, especially regarding the corrector plate and secondary mirror housing.
I've followed stringent procedures for cleaning the plate, primary and secondary.  All that looks great compared to the state it was in when I purchased.  I've attempted to collimate the secondary with good results, but I'm sure something's not 100%.
Besides the 3 adjustment screws on the secondary mirror housing, does anything else need to be done to the corrector plate?  I marked the plate and replaced it in the same position as before the cleaning.  The picture I'm showing is from the "before" cleaning pictures (there was debris on the inside of the corrector).  The recess for the plate is in fairly tight tolerance - not much room for the plate to shift in any direction - perhaps 1/16" at most.  I attempted to put the plate back in that position, although there was no shimming that did that originally... again, can barely move the plate around in the recess.
The secondary mirror housing is snugly screwed onto the corrector plate. 
I've noticed that when I secure the plate in place with the corrector ring, the secondary housing can still spin counter-clockwise and clockwise (this is NOT turning the entire secondary mirror-already verified that).    Using a collimating cap, I've noticed that this rotation of the secondary housing effects the centering of the primary looking through the collimation cap.  Is that supposed to be the case on this scope?  If I turn the secondary housing enough, either clockwise or counter, it eventually gets tight and feels really solid, but the centering of the primary is usually not at its best. 
I was able to get things fairly well collimated at some point, but I may not have done it correctly.  I realized later that I needed to go all the way through all my eyepieces (32/25/15mm + 2x Barlow).  This may have affected my use of the 15 and Barlow since I may not have gone all the way up to that point.  Is that true?
The other question I have is about the perpendicular aspect of the corrector plate.  Is there any recommended adjustment to that aspect of things?  I ask because I noticed that I could see some of the side of the secondary mirror housing when looking through the collimation cap.  With the plate securing ring off, I carefully checked if that changed if I tilted the plate out of its recess.  It affected and could correct some of that discrepancy.  Is this type of adjustment necessary?   Does it indicate a major issue with the scope (hope not)?
There is a small dent in the tube.  Seems minor to me.  Not a major dent at all.  Also noticed that there are two empty screw holes in the gray main corrector plate housing which attaches to the orange tube.  Are there supposed to be screws there?  I notice that the housing is very secure to the tube and cannot be moved.  The screw holes of the gray ring and the tube are perfectly lines up as well. 
Ever since I was a kid, I wanted a telescope.  I'm hoping I can get this working to the best degree possible.  Any advice?  Videos?  Forum threads?  I've done a lot of research, even before I bought this scope.  I've watched countless YouTube videos.  Sometimes Google just doesn't get you where you need to go.  Any help is greatly appreciated. 

All the best,
Chris

RSXM11+ : Do you have any information that you could share with me?  Anything already known about this scope that I might find out about that isn't in the PDF?  I'm interested to know its history
Thank you,
Chris

I'm sorry but your scope is not known to me personally.

Serial number [taken from your photo gallery] is 370206, previouslly registered by CN member whizbang in August 2018 and subsequently discussed by Masvingo in October of that year:

Here's my Orange tube C8 purchased in April of... 2018.

sn:  3 7020 6

Meade8CelestronC8.jpg

Following on from my comments on the C8 Registry update in a previous post (#554), whizbang’s serial number is a bit of an oddity. 

I’ve confirmed with him that it is 3 7020 6 which would indicate a scope manufactured in the third quarter of 1976 – however, the sequential production number (the middle 4 digits – 7020 in this case) is out of sequence for the third quarter production although it would fit into the fourth quarter looking at the serials on the registry from around that time:

• 2 5694 6 – a 2nd quarter 1976 scope with production number 5694
  • 3 6040 6 – a 3rd quarter 1976 scope with production number 6040
  • 3 6121 6 – a 3rd quarter 1976 scope with production number 6121
  • 3 6542 6 – a 3rd quarter 1976 scope with production number 6542
  • 4 6620 6 – a 4th quarter 1976 scope with production number 6620
  • 4 6623 6 – a 4th quarter 1976 scope with production number 6623
  • 4 6793 6 – a 4th quarter 1976 scope with production number 6793
  • 4 7189 6 – a 4th quarter 1976 scope with production number 7189
A scope with production number 7020 would fit in the 4th quarter but would have serial 4 7020 6 or  if it is a 3rd quarter scope then a production number of 6020 (serial 3 6020 6) would make more sense.  It may be that the Celestron employee stamping the serial numbers was having an off day and  either used a '3' instead of a '4' for the first digit or a '7' instead of a '6' for the second. 

The motor date may help to narrow down whether the number should have been 3 6020 6 or 4 7020 6 as scope #  3 6121 6 is reported to have motors dated 12/75 (so the Dec 1975 motors stock lasted into the 3rd quarter of 1976) whereas scope 4 6793 6 is reported to have motors dated 9/76.

Gotta love these Celestron serials – very so often they throw you a curveball!  question.gif

James

As Masvingo notes in those posts, there are some oddities about your scope's serial numbering. However, this is not entirely unheard of with these and we have accumulated other such production variances over time. If you fully disassemble your scope be sure to note and post all the numbers written on your optics. [they usually all match one another but not necessarily that of the scope]

You have a C8 produced in Q3 of 1976, in the first year of the "die-cast fork era". You can verify and refine this by examining production dates on your RA drive motors. [again, please post them if you do so] 

That's as much history as I can divine at the moment.

I gather from your description of the "loose" secondary housing and the fact that there were no shims present around the corrector, that your scope had been disassembled previous to your obtaining it and that these shims were lost.  Correct reassembly and subsequent alignments exceeds what the moderators like us to pursue in this thread, so I suggest to get full assistance on that you begin a new topic to seek help under "Classic Scopes" or some more specific area for that.

To summarize points you will need to understand:

1) the corrector plate has an "optics" number scratched into the outer face near the edge. This is covered by the retaining ring, and should be positioned at 3:00 when facing the objective end. (see many descriptions)

2) the secondary mirror also has this same number on it's back, along with a mark - also to be oriented at 3:00 when assembled.

3) the secondary holder and corrector plate require gaskets to protect the corrector from being abraded or damaged by the metal of the holder and scope. (I have purchased replacement gaskets for my secondary from Starizona - call Dean). These and corrector gaskets (four in total) should also be available from Celestron. (I hope) This is also the point at which you should consider upgrading the secondary holder to a "Hyperstar adapter". I did so with my 1975 C8 [see my previous post for helpful images] and found it handy to be able to remove the secondary to re-check the corrector plate position at will.

4) although there is no need to, you can also verify the same optics number and directional marking on the back side of the primary mirror should you decide to remove it.

5) optical centering of the corrector plate is most easily done with the secondary holder removed. You'll need to remove it to place new gaskets on it anyway, so the corrector can be centered with the primary at that time. The 1/16" space around the corrector should allow enough adjustment for you to "null" it's position by eye and then create new spacers to keep it in that position thereafter. The secondary holder is then installed with it's gaskets and centered in it's opening in the corrector.

Generally these measures should return the scope close to factory positions, but more proper optical tests would involve additional equipment and attain finer outcomes. See publications by Robert Piekiel "Collimating Schimdt-Cassegrain telescopes" and "Testing and Evaluating the Optics of Schimdt-Cassegrain telescopes". Robert is a member of these forums.

FYI - I am not affiliated in any way with Starizona or Mr. Piekiel except as a satisfied customer.

• ChristopherLP likes this

#987 RSX11M+

RSX11M+

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 12 June 2021 - 04:38 AM

another one, which I posted on the classic scopes thread, and on the end of another guy's C8 thread, but probably should go in the database.

this C8 was recently donated to the Santa Cruz Astronomy Club by the long time owner, it had been in a closet for decades.

having carefully examined the stamping on the serial plate, using various light angles, and magnifying glasses, I'm quite sure it says 2301 (space) 0

its got the diecast arms with no holes, and its on the 'crutch leg' tripod with a wedge.    its in great shape, and has the big 2" diagonal, and a vintage 2" Celestron 32mm Erfle.

photobarrage.

PXL_20210526_154139877-X3.jpg

PXL_20210526_154131226-X3.jpg

PXL_20210526_154154102-X3.jpg

PXL_20210526_154228520-X3.jpg

PXL_20210526_161553683-X3.jpg

That's an interesting case. Before the analysis, first some observations -

• correctly identified as a Die-cast model
  • 3-prong power chord base (plug beneath - not on side)
  • early type 4-screw metallic secondary holder (before the 3-screw "numbered" era)
  • RA Finder is an unusual and nice upgrade
  • The diagonal is indeed awesome and unusual (I've not seen one before)
  • It appears there is an OTA counterweight [stored?] in the underside / center of the base. [Please confirm that] I bet it's weight is selected to offset the exceptional mass of the diagonal and eyepiece.

Now for the difficult part - Serial number 23010. As a number, it's a singular outlier.

A 5-digit number beginning with 23 should end in 8 by any other example we know.

It's physical characteristics match it to the period between 1977-1979 when Celestron was undergoing management and production upheaval. Serial numbers transitioned from the QnnnnY format to eventually 8xxxxx with a short dalliance in the 5-digit region between.

I think we should date your scope's motors. I'm betting 10/77. Please note the voltage and frequency ratings. We have a number of 240v examples in the registry for this period.

Perhaps a tighter, higher resolution photograph of the numberplate might help, but perhaps not. It appears to be particularly "rough" and may reflect a period where production demands were not met, and heads rolled. Staff not accustomed to all the typical numbering practices of the moment, filling-in in production may account for the discrepancy.

#988 pierce

pierce

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 12 June 2021 - 05:19 AM

that 6x30 finder is pretty miserable.    planning on putting a vixen shoe on it and using one of my chinese 9x50 erect right angles :D

tried to see the numbers on the clock motors, ugh.    guess I have to take them off to do that?   wait, these cell pics w/ flashlight :D show some nums?

PXL_20210612_092401808-X3.jpg

PXL_20210612_092428022-X3.jpg

PXL_20210612_092437247-X3.jpg

so... is that a 10-1975 date in the first pic?

#989 RSX11M+

RSX11M+

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 12 June 2021 - 06:51 AM

I agree - that's clearly 10-75. Also, I can make out "~V 60 CY" in the second pic. See if you can manage that first part before  the "V" - a dental mirror is handy for that. I have run into a situation where two different "speed" motors were in the same scope. [yes - from the factory] So if possible try to read the full motor model number. Don't bother un-mounting them just to get that though. The date(s) and voltages should help quite a bit.

The counter-weight is visible in your photos between the motors. [it's about the same diameter] Does it unscrew? This would usually be installed in the OTA when the scope was in use to minimize the force required by the motors.

#990 RSX11M+

RSX11M+

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 12 June 2021 - 07:25 AM

I didn't comment on it earlier, but the mounting hardware [hex bolts] are not original Celestron, which can be identified as stainless steel allen-head cap screws with double knurled caps. 

Screen Shot 2021-06-12 at 08.17.55 .jpg

Even originals that hold the motors in are similar allen-head cap screws. Since yours are Phillips, they have been replaced.

I have an inoperative motor from 6-75 here, these are it's numbers -

Screen Shot 2021-06-12 at 08.18.21 .jpg

#991 pierce

pierce

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 12 June 2021 - 07:31 AM

I agree - that's clearly 10-75. Also, I can make out "~V 60 CY" in the second pic. See if you can manage that first part before  the "V" - a dental mirror is handy for that. I have run into a situation where two different "speed" motors were in the same scope. [yes - from the factory] So if possible try to read the full motor model number. Don't bother un-mounting them just to get that though. The date(s) and voltages should help quite a bit.

The counter-weight is visible in your photos between the motors. [it's about the same diameter] Does it unscrew? This would usually be installed in the OTA when the scope was in use to minimize the force required by the motors.

that is a spare counterweight stashed there on the bottom.    there's that one large, 2 medium, and 2 smalls, and with the big diag and that 32mm Erfle it seems to balance nicely putting one medium and one small on each side of the front ring.  when they are arranged like that, they clear the fork, which is a win, too.  

• RSX11M+ likes this

#992 pierce

pierce

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 12 June 2021 - 07:35 AM

re the hex bolts vs allen, I might just try and find some knobs for the three main mounting bolts, if they will clear the wedge.

I dig stainless cap screws.  I dig them even more with those plastic snap-on 'handles' which would be perfect for this application if they clear the wedge frame.

#993 RSX11M+

RSX11M+

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 12 June 2021 - 07:55 AM

Selecting hardware, especially those that hold the base to the wedge, is something you will want to do carefully. Be sure to engage the base with sufficient threads to prevent accidents. Sometimes the stock bolts make me nervous, particularly when I use a Celestron scope on one of my Meade super-heavy wedges. (which I keep polar aligned)

Anyway - be aware.

Is the diagonal mirror-type or prismatic? I see it is collimatible.

Your motor should be marked as the one above BTW. [except the date of course]

I'll have to think a bit on the implications of your motor's date. That pre-dates the Die-cast era and is in the "good times" for Celestron as a company. Are they both marked the same?

#994 RSX11M+

RSX11M+

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 12 June 2021 - 08:12 AM

I do see that the first Die-cast era scopes were shipped with motors dating to late 1975. (though the earliest known was 11-75) The C8 Sand cast era ended with Q2 1976 and had motors dated as late as 12-75. Every now and again an odd-ball shows up but this is generally true.

So, early Die-cast scopes can share motor dates with the last of the Sand cast, but by end of Q1 77 we only see motors dated 1977 and later. 

The format of your serial number was in use between 1978-1979.

Please try to get information from both motors. 

Quite a puzzle you pose.

Edited by RSX11M+, 12 June 2021 - 09:44 AM.

#995 Spatch

Spatch

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Yorktown, VA

Posted 12 June 2021 - 09:57 AM

Selecting hardware, especially those that hold the base to the wedge, is something you will want to do carefully. Be sure to engage the base with sufficient threads to prevent accidents. Sometimes the stock bolts make me nervous, particularly when I use a Celestron scope on one of my Meade super-heavy wedges. (which I keep polar aligned)

Anyway - be aware.

I'll have to think a bit on the implications of your motor's date. That pre-dates the Die-cast era and is in the "good times" for Celestron as a company. Are they both marked the same?

When I first took ownership of my Super C8 Plus it was mounted to the wedge with hex bolts. I replaced them with knobs from BigHorn. One-handed on/off works nicely.

Attached Thumbnails

• knobs.png

Edited by Spatch, 12 June 2021 - 12:21 PM.

#996 ChristopherLP

ChristopherLP

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 12 June 2021 - 03:19 PM

I'm sorry but your scope is not known to me personally.

Serial number [taken from your photo gallery] is 370206, previouslly registered by CN member whizbang in August 2018 and subsequently discussed by Masvingo in October of that year:

As Masvingo notes in those posts, there are some oddities about your scope's serial numbering. However, this is not entirely unheard of with these and we have accumulated other such production variances over time. If you fully disassemble your scope be sure to note and post all the numbers written on your optics. [they usually all match one another but not necessarily that of the scope]

You have a C8 produced in Q3 of 1976, in the first year of the "die-cast fork era". You can verify and refine this by examining production dates on your RA drive motors. [again, please post them if you do so] 

That's as much history as I can divine at the moment.

I can see 10-75 on one of the motors.  So looks to be 1976... 

#997 Gary Esterly

Gary Esterly

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Shelton, Washington

Posted 12 June 2021 - 11:21 PM

I just picked up an Orange C8 with all the trimmings, serial number is "1480 8".

This is what I got with it-

"- motorized tracking fork with "balanced" ac motors to reduce periodic error (can include power cord)
- 6x30 finderscope
- celestron dew shield
- telrad finder with dew shield and telescope mount
- solar skreen for solar viewing (has a pinprick hole which has been repaired)
- 2x barlow (2")
- william optics 2" diagonal
- SCT to 2" adapter
- visual back 1.25" adapter
- 55mm super-wide konig xl lens (2")
- 19mm super-wide konig lens (2")
- 13mm super-wide konig lens (2")
- hard case for lenses, telrad, adapters, etc
-- all lenses made by Russell Optics in Arizona (more details below)

- pelican 1650 case for OTA

• pierce likes this

#998 pierce

pierce

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 June 2021 - 12:35 AM

Anyway - be aware.

The Super Diagonal (2") is a mirror diagonal.       I passed this scope on to another club member as a loaner (I have too many scopes at my house, running out of room), so I can't check the other motor.     The other club member immediately recognized the diagonal AND the 32mm Erfle , said he drooled over those in the Celestron catalogs of the 70s when he was a kid, they were frequently used on C14's (but I think those had a larger cell screw)

those synchronous clock motors were ubiquitous in the 1970s, I used them for various strange non-astronomy projects a few times.    they don't have any components inside that would age out, only the gearing and bearings might wear out from a LOT of use.   so I would assume the motor date can only set a LOWER limit for the age of a device that includes it.

• RSX11M+ likes this

#999 Kasmos

Kasmos

Soyuz

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 13 June 2021 - 02:21 AM

I didn't comment on it earlier, but the mounting hardware [hex bolts] are not original Celestron, which can be identified as stainless steel allen-head cap screws with double knurled caps. 

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2021-06-12 at 08.17.55 .jpg

Even originals that hold the motors in are similar allen-head cap screws. Since yours are Phillips, they have been replaced.

I have an inoperative motor from 6-75 here, these are it's numbers -

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2021-06-12 at 08.18.21 .jpg

I believe you are mistaken about the hardware. Celestron changed from using stainless Allen head hardware everywhere on them to stainless Hexhead Bolts and Phillips head screws when thet went from sandcast to diecast models.

• RSX11M+ likes this

#1000 RSX11M+

RSX11M+

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 13 June 2021 - 05:18 AM

I believe you are mistaken about the hardware. Celestron changed from using stainless Allen head hardware everywhere on them to stainless Hexhead Bolts and Phillips head screws when thet went from sandcast to diecast models.

This is the first I've heard of this. Is this everyone's experience? [asking for other's comments]

I have 3 sand-cast models and a NexStar 6/8SE mount, so I can't personally testify to the Die-cast's hardware.

Thanks for the heads-up - I'll be on the lookout for evidence and specifics. It's a reasonable change given the other economizing we know Celestron did in the 80s with secondary holders and newer bases. I've been trying to narrow down a date for the secondary-holder changeover from the 4-screw type and later to FaStar.

Good catch!

• Kasmos likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics