•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron C8 Registry

• Please log in to reply
1274 replies to this topic

#1251 Borodog

Borodog

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 14 April 2022 - 09:32 AM

As long as the motor works it's a wonderful rig. The illuminated RA finder is probably after market.

#1252 BillHarris

BillHarris

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: northwest Alabama

Posted 16 April 2022 - 01:42 AM

I just bought my first Celestron: a 1974 Orange Tube Sandcast C8 serial 150726.
LET ME GET motor dates and a photo, and I'll make a formal data submission in a couple of days.
I got the scope with the intent of adding Lunar and Planetary observation and photog to my repertoire. The first few sessions have been moongazing, and this scope is sweet.

--Bill
  • ETXer likes this

#1253 Apollo XX

Apollo XX

Lift Off

Posted 16 April 2022 - 10:22 AM

Thank you, all, for the kind comments about the C8. 

Borodog, as far as I can tell the finder is OEM, and it serves as the polar alignment scope as well which there are instructions for in the manual that I found online. It's in good shape and just needed some cleaning and a new 'O' Ring which I was able to procure from "the o-ring store" (a quick Google will find the site el-pronto). The battery is of course a specialty item these days, but there are workarounds that can be found in other threads here on CN.

As for the motor, it works downright wonderfully! The power cord was missing when I got the scope, and some scrounging around the internet in general and here at CN showed me that they're not exactly plentiful in the used marketplace. I was able to find one on ebay, but the cost was prohibitive.

OEM Wiring.jpg

NewPowerSupply.jpg

I chose a different path to powering it, which was to install a new power tool cord and add a toggle switch as well. It works splendidly. Because it will often need to be powered in the field I was curious as to what the draw would be on my battery, and it turns out that the inverter draws more current by itself (.311 amps) than the scope does (.253 amps), and the combined .564 amps is hardly a concern in the power consumption scheme.

Inverter Only.jpg

Inverter and RA Drive.jpg

Mike M.

Edited by Apollo XX, 16 April 2022 - 10:23 AM.

• Stevegeo likes this

#1254 Borodog

Borodog

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 April 2022 - 12:01 PM

Borodog, as far as I can tell the finder is OEM

I stand corrected. Congrats on the scope.

#1255 RSX11M+

RSX11M+

Ranger 4

Posted 16 April 2022 - 07:57 PM

Thank you, all, for the kind comments about the C8. 

Borodog, as far as I can tell the finder is OEM, and it serves as the polar alignment scope as well which there are instructions for in the manual that I found online. It's in good shape and just needed some cleaning and a new 'O' Ring which I was able to procure from "the o-ring store" (a quick Google will find the site el-pronto). The battery is of course a specialty item these days, but there are workarounds that can be found in other threads here on CN.

As for the motor, it works downright wonderfully! The power cord was missing when I got the scope, and some scrounging around the internet in general and here at CN showed me that they're not exactly plentiful in the used marketplace. I was able to find one on ebay, but the cost was prohibitive.

attachicon.gifOEM Wiring.jpg

attachicon.gifNewPowerSupply.jpg

I chose a different path to powering it, which was to install a new power tool cord and add a toggle switch as well. It works splendidly. Because it will often need to be powered in the field I was curious as to what the draw would be on my battery, and it turns out that the inverter draws more current by itself (.311 amps) than the scope does (.253 amps), and the combined .564 amps is hardly a concern in the power consumption scheme.

attachicon.gifInverter Only.jpg

attachicon.gifInverter and RA Drive.jpg

Mike M.

Thank you for the updated images and additional confirmation.

Several responses:

• I neglected to ask for a photo through the finder showing the alignment reticle. I would like to keep a record, as well as a copy of the manual you found for it. So could you please also include a link to that?

• You've already made a power chord modification, and that's fine. However, many have also realized these older 3-prong sockets can be replaced by the Instrument type commonly found on PCs for decades. The modification even looks pretty good. If you look back a few pages here in the registry thread, you'll find examples. 

• However, I might save you some trouble about your proposed power source. The "clock drive" motors are synchronous type, and derive their accuracy from A/C line frequency.  The typical power inverter won't have anywhere near the frequency accuracy you'll want. I've not even found one that can be easily modified to use an external reference that's suitably accurate.

• This also brings up another point... tracking rates. Lunar, Siderial, King - are all nice to have. An ideal inverter would include them, and some here would say a fine adjust is helpful.

Thank you again, clearly your instrument will be used and cared for - which is just what we love to see around here.

• JoshKnight likes this

#1256 BillHarris

BillHarris

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: northwest Alabama

Posted 18 April 2022 - 09:10 PM

My entry to the Registry with my C8: Serial# 150726 Synch motor date 6-11-75 Orange-tube, sandcast, and lovingly used. --Bill

Attached Thumbnails

• 20220418_205925.png

• CCD-Freak, ETXer, deepwoods1 and 4 others like this

#1257 Apollo XX

Apollo XX

Lift Off

Posted 19 April 2022 - 01:59 PM

Ok, interesting stuff!  RSX11M+, thank you for bringing up the points about the AC Hz affecting the drive speed...I hadn't though about that!  In response I went out to the scope and conducted another test with the meter today. I am not displeased with the results.

115.5v AC.jpg

The inverter supplies 115.5v AC with the scope running.

59.52Hz.jpg

This particular inverter is providing that voltage at a cycle of 59.52Hz, which factors out to just .8% less than the ideal 60Hz for the synchronous drive motor. Some quick calculations determine the following; Considering 1hr. of tracking time (15 degrees/900 minutes) we're looking at about 7.2 minutes of error on the slow side, and when I consider that my intended use is essentially strictly visual I feel like that amount error is entirely tolerable. You make a good point though and it will be in my repertoire going forward to check the Hz output of any inverter I use, because as you say most of them probably don't do very well in that category.

1984 C8 Finder Scope.jpg

The finder scope.

Finder O-Ring.jpg

For everyone's information, the O-ring on mine was dried out and cracked to pieces. I procured a replacement at the O-Ring store online. They're less than $2.00 apiece, but the minimum order is $5.00 and with shipping they'll cost you $15.00 to get them home. Now I've got a few extras. Let's see, at a lifespan of about 20 years apiece... smile.gif

Finder Eyepiece.jpg

Finder Reticle.jpg

The eyepiece reticle. I've got a new battery coming. It cost me $10.00, but I figure once I have it I can then get accurate measurements to make an adapter sleeve which will allow LR44's and such as future replacements.

Mike M.

• JoshKnight and RSX11M+ like this

#1258 RSX11M+

RSX11M+

Ranger 4

Posted 19 April 2022 - 02:26 PM

My entry to the Registry with my C8: Serial# 150726 Synch motor date 6-11-75 Orange-tube, sandcast, and lovingly used. --Bill

Thank you.

Your instrument is one of the first out the door in 1976. Motors typically lead assigned production SN dates by a few months in this epoch.

You have what we would refer to as a "late" sand-cast era C8, with the typical 2-prong powered drive base. Later that year, the forks and drive bases were revised to the 3-prong Die-cast types, most identifiable by the disappearance of the holes in the fork arms.

If your drive base still has a nameplate, would you please include an image of it along with any other little items that may have been included? [finder, mount, visual back, wedge, etc]  If this is an forked OTA only, have a look about this thread and you've see examples of things you may wish to collect for it. These items are sporatically available, and should be grabbed up when you see them offered, particularly the two-prong power chord.

Thanks for registering.

#1259 RSX11M+

RSX11M+

Ranger 4

Posted 19 April 2022 - 02:54 PM

Ok, interesting stuff!  RSX11M+, thank you for bringing up the points about the AC Hz affecting the drive speed...I hadn't though about that!  In response I went out to the scope and conducted another test with the meter today. I am not displeased with the results.

attachicon.gif115.5v AC.jpg

The inverter supplies 115.5v AC with the scope running.

attachicon.gif59.52Hz.jpg

This particular inverter is providing that voltage at a cycle of 59.52Hz, which factors out to just .8% less than the ideal 60Hz for the synchronous drive motor. Some quick calculations determine the following; Considering 1hr. of tracking time (15 degrees/900 minutes) we're looking at about 7.2 minutes of error on the slow side, and when I consider that my intended use is essentially strictly visual I feel like that amount error is entirely tolerable. You make a good point though and it will be in my repertoire going forward to check the Hz output of any inverter I use, because as you say most of them probably don't do very well in that category.

attachicon.gif1984 C8 Finder Scope.jpg

The finder scope.

attachicon.gifFinder O-Ring.jpg

For everyone's information, the O-ring on mine was dried out and cracked to pieces. I procured a replacement at the O-Ring store online. They're less than $2.00 apiece, but the minimum order is $5.00 and with shipping they'll cost you $15.00 to get them home. Now I've got a few extras. Let's see, at a lifespan of about 20 years apiece... smile.gif

attachicon.gifFinder Eyepiece.jpg

attachicon.gifFinder Reticle.jpg

The eyepiece reticle. I've got a new battery coming. It cost me $10.00, but I figure once I have it I can then get accurate measurements to make an adapter sleeve which will allow LR44's and such as future replacements.

Mike M.

Excellent. 

You're taking a common-sense approach to appreciating it's behavior and requirements. If you find tracking performance lacking or annoying, you'll know where to look. Once upon a time, a 555 timer chip provided the timebase for these, and it was a simple matter to inject a better reference. Nowadays, it's much more likely to be CPU derived, but it's worth a look.

You should know that the Byers drive is worthy of the finest timebase you can obtain. The option to plug it in will give you an idea of what it's capable of.

Did I miss a link to the finder's manual? Maybe I misunderstood that.

The images are just what I'd hoped for, thank you. Certainly appears to be a fine etched-type reticle.

Thanks again, and best of luck to you both.

#1260 mdowns

mdowns

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: SW,FL

Posted 19 April 2022 - 03:14 PM

Lots of interesting details and tidbits here,most of which deserve their own thread.Let's remember please,this is the c8 registry thread. Maybe someone here can create a kind of 'c8 specific details' thread to better accumulate the valuable associated input into one place? Help keep this long running thread on track,register,register,register!

#1261 JoshKnight

JoshKnight

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Mohegan Lake, NY

Posted 19 April 2022 - 04:51 PM

Mike M.

Just a nit, but the 115.5 volts you're measuring appears to be across another outlet on the inverter from the one powering the telescope.  That's measuring the voltage across a nearly infinite impedance load, namely the multimeter.  The voltage at the other end of the power cord to the telescope is likely to be a little lower.  As I said a nit.

#1262 pierce

pierce

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Cruz, CA

Posted 19 April 2022 - 06:45 PM

Just a nit, but the 115.5 volts you're measuring appears to be across another outlet on the inverter from the one powering the telescope.  That's measuring the voltage across a nearly infinite impedance load, namely the multimeter.  The voltage at the other end of the power cord to the telescope is likely to be a little lower.  As I said a nit.

the outlets are undoubtedly paralleled, and will all see the same voltage as the load minus the voltage drop in the power cord from the inverter to the load.

#1263 Apollo XX

Apollo XX

Lift Off

Posted 22 April 2022 - 08:56 AM

RSX11M+, I forgot about the link to the manual. While not the exact version of my scope, this particular copy was the closest I could come:

https://www.manualsl...er-C8-Plus.html

I also found others that were applicable to slightly later models:

http://faces.unah.ed...ssic_manual.pdf

https://www.ou.edu/l...anual_black.pdf

Interestingly, I stumbled across this video today in my YouTube travels - you guys have probably seen it, but it costs nothing to share the link so here it is:

https://www.youtube....h?v=nqh1TwO1DPk

Mike M.

• RSX11M+ likes this

#1264 De Martin

De Martin

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: São Paulo

Posted 01 May 2022 - 04:24 PM

Hi, I would like to register my C8 orange-tube:  #819281 and Serial# Sync Engine date 6/1/79.

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• C8.jpg
  • SN SM.jpg
  • SN C8.jpg

• ETXer, deepwoods1, mdowns and 2 others like this

#1265 RSX11M+

RSX11M+

Ranger 4

Posted 02 May 2022 - 04:34 PM

Hi, I would like to register my C8 orange-tube:  #819281 and Serial# Sync Engine date 6/1/79.

Thanks

Thank you for registering. We would read that motor date as Jan-1979 (1-79), the -6 not being part of the date. By that number, and it's appearance - we would describe it as a "Diecast" fork-arm vintage model of the C8 with a 3-Prong power receptacle on the bottom of the base. As in other posts, we warn: replacements of this power chord have recently gone scarce, so don't lose it.

Interestingly, this motor date does not Jive with the OTA serial number, which I would place in 1983.

There are a few possibilities for this difference. To help us sort out this interesting case, would you mind posting a photo of the Manufacturing placard on the side of the Base? 

Thank you

#1266 De Martin

De Martin

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 May 2022 - 04:38 PM

Hi, thanks for the clarification about the date. It came without the manufacturing plate on the side of the base.

Is there another place on the telescope where I can locate it?

It came without a manual, too, and one of the tripod locks was damaged. I'm making another part to replace it. If it works well I'll post the result.

Thank you

20220503_174334.jpg

#1267 RSX11M+

RSX11M+

Ranger 4

Posted 04 May 2022 - 12:55 AM

Hi, thanks for the clarification about the date. It came without the manufacturing plate on the side of the base.

Is there another place on the telescope where I can locate it?

It came without a manual, too, and one of the tripod locks was damaged. I'm making another part to replace it. If it works well I'll post the result.

Thank you

attachicon.gif20220503_174334.jpg

To our knowledge, there are no internal numberings on base or fork components, other than the motors. (you could check both motors BTW) Some of the optical elements have additional numbers, but they are often unrelated to the unit's serial number. It can be dangerous to disassemble the OTA without experience, so we do not recommend it. Please seek help on this if you intend to do so, but then please use the opportunity to record the "Optics" numbers of the Main, Secondary and corrector - which should all match. (Search my own postings in this thread for an example)

This probably won't help answer your question, however much we might appreciate the additional info.

On the question of manuals and operation, there is somewhat better news. Any C8 manual from pretty much 1972 to 1980 will have operation details that pertain to your scope. Most of these are combined C5 & C8 documents. I suppose it might be useful to have a ready set of links for that question, but I don't. [See Update below] I can think of at least 3 generations of the manual, varying only in subtle scope differences and the helpfulness of use. Any would help you. All Celestron manuals of the period are dated on the front or rear cover with  m-yy or mm-yy numbers. (like your motor)

Even subsequent models with fork-arms will have advice that applies generally. Manuals for Scopes with "Go-To" won't apply much.

If you would like to share, we'd ask for a brief history of your scope, how you got it, what you know of it previously, how long you've had it - maybe some of your interests for it. The most typical reason for a "Franken-scope" that seems to make no sense is: institutional ownership, such as a school or scientific organization which would have multiple scopes of the same type, disassembled for maintenance, repair,  or modification. Interchange of parts could be deliberate or accidental. In some cases Celestron maintenance may have been involved, but we'd expect newer dates on replacement parts - not older.

There is also a very small class of instruments I would characterize as "R&D Escapees" which were prototypes that were distributed for various work by vendors and somehow or other never recovered. I myself had one (returned) when doing some work for them in the 1990s. Distinguishing one can be difficult and uncertain at best.

Beyond that information, which we would appreciate here - I suggest you begin your own thread in one of the Classic Scope forums. There you can explore more deeply. Many members will arise to assist more than we are permitted here in this thread, which is devoted to Registry related issues to learn of Celestron history by documenting details of scopes in our collective possession or experience.

Thank you once again for registering and replying. Your instrument is indeed a curiosity and worthy of note. It serves as an example of what one may encounter when obtaining a vintage instrument and helps others understand the possibilities.

Update:

Here is a recent thread with links to manuals: Classic C8 Orange Tube Manual 

I have updated that thread with a number of manuals and literature not previously cited.

Get 'em while they're hot-

Edited by RSX11M+, 04 May 2022 - 01:43 PM.

• De Martin likes this

#1268 De Martin

De Martin

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 May 2022 - 04:49 PM

Hi,

This scope I have for three months, it was in a friend's uncle's attic. This scope had been with the uncle for many years, but no one in the family was interested, they said it only took up space and dust lol.gif .

I asked for more information, but they didn't have it.

Thanks for the link to the manuals and other information. If I get more information about the scope I'll post it here.

• RSX11M+ likes this

#1269 OskiBear

OskiBear

Explorer 1

• Loc: SF Bay Area

Posted 12 May 2022 - 01:41 PM

Let me add mine - just purchased a few months ago, from a CN user (his project became my project). Original manual that came with it says "C8 Super Plus" (gotta love marketing). Serial number 833811. Can't ID the motors because I don't know how to get to them. Any hints on pulling the base off?

C8 Super Plus serial

C8 Super Plus base

Edited by OskiBear, 12 May 2022 - 01:42 PM.

• Rick-T137 likes this

#1270 RSX11M+

RSX11M+

Ranger 4

Posted 12 May 2022 - 08:23 PM

Let me add mine - just purchased a few months ago, from a CN user (his project became my project). Original manual that came with it says "C8 Super Plus" (gotta love marketing). Serial number 833811. Can't ID the motors because I don't know how to get to them. Any hints on pulling the base off?

Our best guess for your scope's manufacture would be 1985. Dating based upon motor numbers would be imprecise in this period anyway, because of so much pre-purchasing in the run-up to comet Halley.

You appear to have a "Worm Gear" type drive, many of which were in fact "Byers Drives". Some had a "window" to see the gears, others did not. The motor would be accessed by removing the top plate on the drive base. I see no point in you doing so just to obtain motor numbers. However, if you do for some maintenance or other reason, please take the opportunity to note them, and let us know.

This era of C8 has a very good reputation for the mechanical components and should last many years - especially if maintained. The power chord seems to have recently gone extinct, so beware of losing it.

Good luck with it, many here attest to it being a great scope. Congratulations, and thanks for registering.

• De Martin likes this

#1271 OskiBear

OskiBear

Explorer 1

Posted 13 May 2022 - 12:03 PM

Our best guess for your scope's manufacture would be 1985. Dating based upon motor numbers would be imprecise in this period anyway, because of so much pre-purchasing in the run-up to comet Halley.

You appear to have a "Worm Gear" type drive, many of which were in fact "Byers Drives". Some had a "window" to see the gears, others did not. The motor would be accessed by removing the top plate on the drive base. I see no point in you doing so just to obtain motor numbers. However, if you do for some maintenance or other reason, please take the opportunity to note them, and let us know.

This era of C8 has a very good reputation for the mechanical components and should last many years - especially if maintained. The power chord seems to have recently gone extinct, so beware of losing it.

Good luck with it, many here attest to it being a great scope. Congratulations, and thanks for registering.

thanks, RSX - you are indeed correct re: the Byers drive

C8 Super Plus logo plate

my next step is to re-install the secondary (you'll notice it's missing in the serial number photo). Wish me luck. Can't wait to get this under the night sky

• De Martin likes this

#1272 RSX11M+

RSX11M+

Ranger 4

Posted 13 May 2022 - 01:42 PM

thanks, RSX - you are indeed correct re: the Byers drive

my next step is to re-install the secondary (you'll notice it's missing in the serial number photo). Wish me luck. Can't wait to get this under the night sky

Thanks for that confirmation.

Be sure to correctly align the markings on Secondary mirror, Corrector (Optics #) and Main. If you don't know about this, please research it before assembly. Also, please post the "Optics" number on the front edge of the Corrector so we may record it in the registry. This same number is also on the rear of Secondary and Primary mirrors, signifying they were manufactured "as a set " and require coalignment.

A step that often goes undone by amateurs is optical centering of corrector with main mirror. This is usually skipped because it means removing the Secondary to do properly. Since you've already done this, you have the opportunity at hand. This is how the "shims" between the edge of the corrector and OTA are determined and positioned.

When one has gone as far as you have, I also advocate you consider installing a "Hyperstar Conversion Kit" in place of the original Secondary mount and baffle. This readys the scope for Hyperstar, makes the Secondary easily removable, and permits optical centering checks of corrector to be easy thereafter. See Hyperstar C8 Conversion Kit  [also 2]  You have a 3-screw type Secondary mount, so can use the standard kit for C8. 

Take your time reassembling. Keep the OTA tilted down to keep out dust between intermediate assembly steps, do not use a computer air canister to blow off dust. (the propellent is often corrosive) I use actual compressed air. Other precautions also apply, no "Windex type" cleaners.

Good luck -

Edited by RSX11M+, 13 May 2022 - 01:52 PM.

#1273 OskiBear

OskiBear

Explorer 1

Posted 22 May 2022 - 01:20 PM

Thanks for that confirmation.

Be sure to correctly align the markings on Secondary mirror, Corrector (Optics #) and Main. If you don't know about this, please research it before assembly. Also, please post the "Optics" number on the front edge of the Corrector so we may record it in the registry. This same number is also on the rear of Secondary and Primary mirrors, signifying they were manufactured "as a set " and require coalignment.

A step that often goes undone by amateurs is optical centering of corrector with main mirror. This is usually skipped because it means removing the Secondary to do properly. Since you've already done this, you have the opportunity at hand. This is how the "shims" between the edge of the corrector and OTA are determined and positioned.

When one has gone as far as you have, I also advocate you consider installing a "Hyperstar Conversion Kit" in place of the original Secondary mount and baffle. This readys the scope for Hyperstar, makes the Secondary easily removable, and permits optical centering checks of corrector to be easy thereafter. See Hyperstar C8 Conversion Kit  [also 2]  You have a 3-screw type Secondary mount, so can use the standard kit for C8. 

Take your time reassembling. Keep the OTA tilted down to keep out dust between intermediate assembly steps, do not use a computer air canister to blow off dust. (the propellent is often corrosive) I use actual compressed air. Other precautions also apply, no "Windex type" cleaners.

Good luck -

number from the back of the secondary is 9828. Odd, but I did NOT see anything engraved on the corrector plate, either edge or to the side. There was a 1" or so paper-thin shim between the plate and the OTA frame, which I replaced in the same spot. Eventually I'll probably try to get a look at the back of the primary.

No cleaning yet, even though I've had the corrector plate off. But yes I have read through tons of info and advice, and appreciate yours as well. Nope, no windex or compressed air for me. Distilled water, cotton swabs, and fingers crossed.

Thanks for the Hyperstar info - does sound like a very useful addition, and one that I'll do in the future. 

best,
OskiBear

C8 Super Plus secondary back

• RSX11M+ likes this

#1274 RSX11M+

RSX11M+

Ranger 4

Posted 22 May 2022 - 06:09 PM

number from the back of the secondary is 9828. Odd, but I did NOT see anything engraved on the corrector plate, either edge or to the side. There was a 1" or so paper-thin shim between the plate and the OTA frame, which I replaced in the same spot. Eventually I'll probably try to get a look at the back of the primary.

No cleaning yet, even though I've had the corrector plate off. But yes I have read through tons of info and advice, and appreciate yours as well. Nope, no windex or compressed air for me. Distilled water, cotton swabs, and fingers crossed.

Thanks for the Hyperstar info - does sound like a very useful addition, and one that I'll do in the future. 

best,
OskiBear

Thank you, optics #9828 will be noted for your unit.

Please ref my own registry entry post which also includes other photos you may find of interest. I myself missed the Optics number scratched into the surface of my first C8 corrector. It can be quite small and difficult to locate. In fact, I first found it by accident when looking at my own disassembly photos afterward.

Please post again should you find optics numbers that DO NOT match. A rare case indeed.

Sounds like you have things well in hand with your practices. Best of luck, and again - thanks.

post-322395-0-36111500-1577522634.jpg

Edited by RSX11M+, 22 May 2022 - 06:12 PM.

#1275 sailracer_98

sailracer_98

Explorer 1

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 19 June 2022 - 01:09 PM

You can add my orange black tube C8 to the registry:  S/N 835863.  It is just the optical tube, no forks or motors.  I bought it from the CN classifieds a few years back.  

Edited by sailracer_98, 20 June 2022 - 08:51 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics