•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron C8 Registry

• Please log in to reply
1304 replies to this topic

#1301 Stevegeo

Stevegeo

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Otisco lake. Ny

Posted 20 September 2022 - 05:36 PM

I just picked up a C8 from an estate sale. Very good condition. 

Vixen dovetail mount on a Orion EQ G.  Havent checked it out yet...   maybe tonite..

Stevegeo,  Area3751 observatory otisco lake ny. 

• Exnihilo likes this

#1302 RSX11M+

RSX11M+

Ranger 4

Posted 20 September 2022 - 10:37 PM

I just picked up a C8 from an estate sale. Very good condition. 

Vixen dovetail mount on a Orion EQ G.  Havent checked it out yet...   maybe tonite..

Stevegeo,  Area3751 observatory otisco lake ny. 

Good night for it. Andromeda passes close to zenith @2:21 this morning - thought of taking some images myself. Very dry and clear here lately.

That unit dates to the middle of 1980 manufacture, and was not previously in the registry. Thanks for giving it a new home. Let us know how it sees and maybe post a pic or two.

Thanks for registering.

#1303 RSX11M+

RSX11M+

Ranger 4

Posted 20 September 2022 - 11:26 PM

A couple of weeks ago I bought a Celestron C8 from early 1993 I think.  Came with a SP mount and the wooden tripod.  Serial number is 880544   I believe the focuser is not working.  Hopefully it is an easy fix

Agreed, probably early 1993 to late 1992.

I'll assume you don't mean a crayford focuser, which has it's own issues, but a main mirror moving focus knob.

The simplest fix for a focus knob that spins without effect would be a loose allen-head set screw in the knob itself. A knob which resists turning could be interference with movement of the main mirror inside the OTA. Look down the inside with a flashlight between the mirror edge and tube wall for any obstruction, like a too long screw that's been put in the rear cell. [I've seen this myself]

Beyond that, it might be a good idea to seek assistance by posting your own thread in the classic scopes area of the forums.

The wooden tripod configuration was common in the period and may be original. Post some photos here for further confirmation if desired.

Good luck with it, and thank you for registering.

#1304 Jodokus

Jodokus

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Brussels, Belgium

Posted 23 September 2022 - 09:13 AM

Hello all,

I got my C8 OTA back in 1993, with serial no. 876274. The manual indicates ©1990, so I suppose it was assembled between 1990 and purchase date. Maybe late 1991, early 1992? Definitely vintage by now. I bought it in The Netherlands to replace my first telescope, a Vixen Newtonian 114/1000 on a Super Polaris mount. The C8 is since then riding this mount, which has also the motor drives. Quite happy with this set-up. I first used it for visual observations, in good dark sky conditions on Texel island in the north of The Netherlands, where I was stationed in the nineties. Nowadays I live in Brussels, the capital of Belgium, a metropole with a population of over one million and the sky is drowned out in light pollution. I have to drive close to one hour from town to get some acceptable dark skies. I'm looking for a new scope before inflation evaporates my savings, and am leaning towards a Sky-Watcher Evostar 150ED refractor on an EQ6 mount with GoTo, although I'm hesitating between this and a C9.25 EdgeHD... Big dilemma.IMG_20220923_162403.jpg

Edited by Jodokus, 23 September 2022 - 09:34 AM.

#1305 RSX11M+

RSX11M+

Ranger 4

Posted 24 September 2022 - 10:32 AM

Hello all,

I got my C8 OTA back in 1993, with serial no. 876274. The manual indicates ©1990, so I suppose it was assembled between 1990 and purchase date. Maybe late 1991, early 1992? Definitely vintage by now. I bought it in The Netherlands to replace my first telescope, a Vixen Newtonian 114/1000 on a Super Polaris mount. The C8 is since then riding this mount, which has also the motor drives. Quite happy with this set-up. I first used it for visual observations, in good dark sky conditions on Texel island in the north of The Netherlands, where I was stationed in the nineties. Nowadays I live in Brussels, the capital of Belgium, a metropole with a population of over one million and the sky is drowned out in light pollution. I have to drive close to one hour from town to get some acceptable dark skies. I'm looking for a new scope before inflation evaporates my savings, and am leaning towards a Sky-Watcher Evostar 150ED refractor on an EQ6 mount with GoTo, although I'm hesitating between this and a C9.25 EdgeHD... Big dilemma.attachicon.gifIMG_20220923_162403.jpg

In your serial number range we accumulate dates by registrants reporting their "purchase date" and when fork mounted, their motor dates. These vary a bit, based on pre-purchase of motors and sale delays. Each period has it's own "typical" variance. We establish date brackets by neighboring SN in the absence of other info, as in an OTA.

1993 is a pretty safe bet. Our records show 874xxx as the first 1993 date, and 883xxx as the last. (with a much later outlier between) 

Manual dates are only broad indicators, and were typically shipped for long periods without change. There is also no assurance they are "original" to the purchase except where the owner is original. They can establish an "earliest possible" date, which in your case agrees broadly.

Considering your mount and the scopes you mention, I do have some thoughts about purchases. Relative importance was considered in their sequencing.

• The difference in performance of a good C8 and a 9.25 HD is not huge. Certainly not enough in my mind to justify an expenditure unless I recovered cash by selling the C8 after. [never trade a known for an unknown] If you were talking 12" or more, this might be a different matter.
  • Depending on your intended use, you might consider a Hyperstar for the C8. I installed one in mine, and it's truly transformative. However amazing it is to have an 8" f1.9 lens, it is for photography, not visual use. 
  • Another alternative purchase you may benefit from is eyepieces and optics. I say this in full knowledge that my eyesight is not what it once was. Of late I've been experimenting with a Binoviewer. Regaining acuity by engaging both eyes rolls back the clock a decade or more. The downside is now re-collecting my favorite eyepieces to make pairs!
  • A Camera upgrade can price one out of practicality. If you are already an astrophotographer, the other accoutrements you already possess lessen this barrier. [and promote value of a Hyperstar]
  • Observatory - Wasting time setting up and breaking down each observing session can be avoided by a permanent home. Modern mounts preserve alignment over sessions, totally transforming observing from a planned, structured activity to an opportunistic one. This has increased the frequency of my observing an order of magnitude. Retaining alignment enables daylight observing. (I have a 16" SCT)
  • Mount - last but perhaps easiest to agree with, especially if you dabble in go-to or computer interface. Pointing accuracy cannot be fully appreciated until you lose it. I'd place it near half the value of the overall investment, equal to optics.

All of these suggestions should be contrasted by your personal experience. There's no substitute for seeing yourself at a star party or friend's.

Good luck whatever you decide, and thanks for Registering.

Edited by RSX11M+, 24 September 2022 - 10:38 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics