•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Vixen Porta II head - 3/8" bolt?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 Thomas Karpf

Thomas Karpf

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

Will a Vixen Porta II head attach directly to a tripod with a 3/8" bolt? I already have a very solid tripod and don't really want/need another.

Thanks.

#2 Agatha

Agatha

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

Tom,

Yes, it should work. Depending on the top surface of your tripod, make sure that there is plenty of bolt threads that turn into the Porta base. Also, it is always a good thing to make sure all threads are clean of any metal debris, etc. I always like to put a hint of grease on clean threads also. It spins easier and pulls tighter easier and will even help protect threads. I like at least 4 full turns of a bolt into a mount head. It simply gives more holding power and less likely to strip the threads. And if you have a spare 3/8-16 bolt just by itself, do hand thread that into the Porta first just to make sure threads are good.

Best, Linda B.

#3 Thomas Karpf

Thomas Karpf

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

Linda,

Excellent. Thank you. Spending an additional $80 for a tripod that I don't need seemed silly.

#4 DavidNealMinnick

DavidNealMinnick

Ranger 4

• ****-

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:14 PM

The Porta utilizes M10-1.5 threading.

#5 Agatha

Agatha

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:28 AM

Tom,

Oh dear. :crazy: David is absolutely right. I just seemed to remember the number 3/8 being thrown around when the Porta II came out. I liked my original Porta so much I purchased another one (Porta II). I've never had it on a different tripod. So, just now at 3:30 in the morning :), I went and removed the head and checked the threads. Yes indeed. Definitely 10mm.

So, Tom, if possible, do change your tripod mount bolt to a 10mm X 1.5
A 3/8 will fit BUT it will be loose. The 10mm is correct and a proper fit.
Sorry for the confusion.

Best, Linda B.

#6 Agatha

Agatha

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:38 AM

David,

Thank you for making the correction. I'm usually very particular with bolt threads, etc. I just went by what I remember hearing.
I still am surprised that the Tak Teegul uses a 3/8. At least, that is how it is described. A good reason to always check. :)

Thanks again.

Best, Linda B.

#7 Thomas Karpf

Thomas Karpf

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:24 AM

David and Linda,

Thanks for the information.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics