•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

luv my 8"er but......

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 February 2004 - 12:39 AM

just got my 8"skywatcher dob.....(1200mm X 200mm)
i d like to know if i will ever see that red spot
on jupiter...??
i m trying 10mm plossel(for now thats all i got)...
questions.......should i have got a better scope..??
should i go "better" plossel..or barlow?
it s a dob....so....should i get an altaz for it?........
........ what should i do to get ..that....spot?????
reo :confused:

#2 Suk Lee

Suk Lee

Aurora

Posted 03 February 2004 - 01:06 AM

should i have got a better scope

You've got a fine scope. You should check

http://skyandtelesco...ticle_107_1.asp

to see when the great red spot is visible, AND you should know that the GREAT RED SPOT, is currently the GREAT PALE SPOT and has been for several years. Don't expect it to currently jump out at you, the color is subtle.

Suk

#3 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators

Posted 03 February 2004 - 01:12 AM

just got my 8"skywatcher dob.....(1200mm X 200mm)
i d like to know if i will ever see that red spot
on jupiter...??
i m trying 10mm plossel(for now thats all i got)...
questions.......should i have got a better scope..??
should i go "better" plossel..or barlow?
it s a dob....so....should i get an altaz for it?........
........ what should i do to get ..that....spot?????
reo :confused:

I did! You can, too! This shot is with a 25mm Plossl with a 2X barlow... that's 80X on my 1000mmFL 8" newt. For your gear, mag's not the problem...

Don't forget that half the time, it's on the other side of the planet!

Charlie

Attached Thumbnails

• 49109-jupiter011404-002-0002.jpg

#4 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 February 2004 - 11:48 AM

hey ...charlie hein....
you took that picture...??
can you tell me how....
reo

#5 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators

Posted 03 February 2004 - 01:19 PM

hey ...charlie hein....
you took that picture...??
can you tell me how....
reo

reo:

I recorded about a minute and a half of tape on a DV camcorder that was directly connected to a 25mm eyepiece and barlow using the Scopetronix Digi-T adapter. I then created an .avi file from the DV tape and stacked the best individual frames using a program called RegiStax.

There's a lot of discussion about different ways to do this over in the astrophotography forums. There are also a bunch of guys over there who really know a lot about getting it done. Check it out!

Charlie

#6 Willy

Willy

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 03 February 2004 - 03:54 PM

Reobeo,
I've also got the Skywatcher 8" dob.....but I have mine aboard a EQ5 gem when not in its dob mode.The great red ( magnolia )spot is a cinch.The last clear night we had here I was looking at Saturn at x240 (10mm plossl+ x2 barlow )This was magic. :jump:
Bottom line........get the collimation spot on and you are spacewalking.

#7 Relativist

Relativist

Cosmos

Posted 03 February 2004 - 07:11 PM

I know this is slightly off topic, but I only have 2 quick questions: Charlie do you anthing about the new 2 megapixel camcorders? Do cameras that take mpeg movies do so at the full quality available?

......Curtis

#8 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators

Posted 03 February 2004 - 07:31 PM

I know this is slightly off topic, but I only have 2 quick questions: Charlie do you anthing about the new 2 megapixel camcorders?

No, but I bet they would be great at this if you already have one. I don't think that I'd buy a camcorder just for astrophotos. Having said that, they make a decent planetary camera if you're also using them for something else!

Do cameras that take mpeg movies do so at the full quality available?

......Curtis

I have had some good results with MPEG movies taken from the camcorder. If you're looking to do short movies for a web site or something, they'll do just fine.

I don't know if MPEG's would be good for taking pictures of planets. The format is not forgiving of any movements, it tends to pixellate on a moving target. If your target is jumping around a bit in the frame this could be a problem.

Also, I don't know if any of the stacking programs out there accept MPEG as an input file. I'm pretty sure all of them accept .avi files, though. Those are easy to produce from a video with the right program or capture card on your PC.

Now, back on topic! Gotta love those 8" newts!

Charlie

#9 Gardner

Gardner

Viking 1

Posted 10 February 2004 - 07:25 PM

Reo,

Willy is right, get the collimation tweaked in and enjoy the views. I use Orion's LaserMate, I had to adjust it a bit (voids the warranty) but collimating is easy and fast now.

For high power I use a 6mm Radian, 200x in the XT8. GRS and moon transits on Jupiter are easy!

Good luck

#10 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 February 2004 - 12:09 AM

Reo,

I also have an 8" dob and I believe it is made by the same manufacturer as yours.

First, relax. You don't need a better scope. I saw the GRS for the first time about a week ago in my dob. It certainly didn't leap out at me but with patience I was able to clearly identify it as the GRS.

Second, the above posters are completely correct about collimation. Collimation was intimidating to me (removing the mirror, center spotting the mirror, putting it back in, adjusting the secondary, adjusting the primary, etc.) but I set aside an evening and did it. I'm very glad I did. My views have been much better ever since. For example, the Crepe ring on Saturn and six stars in the Trapezium are common for me now whereas before collimation those were rare. My next major project is to flock and baffle but that's another story.

The site / program I use for Jupiter's transits and GRS is http://www.cpac.free...co.uk/solar.htm which I like because it is visual. Not only will it show you when the GRS is visible, but will also indicate the transits of Galilean moons.

Good luck!

Simon

#11 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 February 2004 - 08:28 PM

I have an 8" Hardin Optical Dob, Got tired of bending and sitting so I drilled a hole right through the table and attached the base to a 19 inch end table from Walfart using a bolt one half inch longer then the origanal base bolt. The focuser is at perfect level, even at zenith. For planetary viewing (such as Jupiter)I snagged an Orion 3.9mm Lanthanum Eyepiece, I think it gives some nice views on good atmospheric nights. That is the clue--getting a really good night is not going to happen alot, and I live in the middle of no where Idaho, very remote and very little light pollution. Otherwise you learn to glean features by training your eye.

Attached Thumbnails

• 56651-dob.jpg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics