•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron C6 S-GT w/XLT Coatings

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 jfaaz

jfaaz

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 September 2005 - 04:13 PM

This seems to me as a great alternative to an Apo.

I have a 10" Dob and a 80mm Achro.

I am looking for a good planet scope without CA.

The focal length is only 1500mm; hence, at f/10 there should at least be a 1 degree true feild.

Should the contrast be better than my 10" dob?

I could piggy back my 80mm on top of this 6" SCT and have a stable goto photography platform.

Pleas give me some input. :question:

#2 celestial_search

celestial_search

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 20 September 2005 - 04:19 PM

Well, it's a good thing that you posted that here instead of the refractor forum. You'll get the "tempest in a teapot" central obstruction objection, but a 6" scope will have better resolution than a smaller aperture APO. If you don't want CA, the SCT or 6" Mak will work fine. My Mak 127 does well for planetary/lunar viewing.

What mount will you use? That will greatly affect any astrophotography use.

#3 Ken B.

Ken B.

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 20 September 2005 - 06:45 PM

I am contemplating purchasing this scope as well. How do you think this scope compares with the Meade AR-5?? This would be my primary scope and I am interested in seeing both Planets as well as Deep Sky ie: Messier Objects
When can we expect to see some reviews on this scope???

Ken

#4 celestial_search

celestial_search

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 20 September 2005 - 07:30 PM

Ken:

The 6" scope will gather 44% more light than the 5" scope. The 6" scope will have more resolution, but the refractor will win on contrast. The 6" SCT will have no C.A. on bright objects, an achromat refractor will. You will not have to collimate the refractor (hopefully), but may have to occasionally adjust the SCT, but it should hold collimation well. The 6" SCT will be lighter and more easily carried. Cool down should not be a major factor for the 6" SCT. The refractor requires less cool down time, but again if you set the SCT up ahead of time or set it out in its carrying case--it can be ready for viewing when you are. There are other differences, but these should give you some idea. SCTs benefit from more aperture in a lighter, more-manageable OTA.

#5 Digital Don

Digital Don

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 20 September 2005 - 08:02 PM

I've been considering a medium size Schmidt-Cassegrain to put on my SkyView Pro mount (something a lot more portable than my fork-mounted C11!) I must admit that I found the C6 interesting at first blush.

In reality however, it can't be too much smaller than a C8, certainly not when placed on a mounting. An 8" will gather even more light and has higher resolution - all for a relatively small increase in physical size over a 6". It lacks the portablity of a C5 (OTA), and offers less performance than a C8 so I don't know...

I'll probably pick up an 8" tube assembly when I run across a decent used one.

Good luck with your decision.

Don :usa:

#6 jfaaz

jfaaz

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 September 2005 - 08:16 PM

I would also like to know how the Orion 6" MAK compares to the C6.

I find the C6 more desirable and with the goto, a better deal.

#7 pollux

pollux

artiste

Posted 20 September 2005 - 10:55 PM

Well, it's a good thing that you posted that here instead of the refractor forum

Frank, keep looking up at the sky and make sure no phone pole is falling :grin:

#8 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

Posted 22 September 2005 - 07:25 AM

Well, it's a good thing that you posted that here instead of the refractor forum

Frank, keep looking up at the sky and make sure no phone pole is falling :grin:

Caber is inbound! :lol:

#9 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors

Posted 22 September 2005 - 05:00 PM

This seems to me as a great alternative to an Apo.

I have a 10" Dob and a 80mm Achro.

I am looking for a good planet scope without CA.

The focal length is only 1500mm; hence, at f/10 there should at least be a 1 degree true feild.

Should the contrast be better than my 10" dob?

I could piggy back my 80mm on top of this 6" SCT and have a stable goto photography platform.

Pleas give me some input. :question:

It depends on the build quality. A 6" Mak will have a longer focal ratio and smaller secondary, so might be better for planets, but at the cost of field of view.
As to which is better, the Celestron 6" SCT or the Orion 6" Mak, only time will tell.

#10 Ken B.

Ken B.

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 22 September 2005 - 06:29 PM

When are these scopes to begin shipping and when can we expect some formal reviews on these scopes???

Ken

#11 ScottW

ScottW

Ranger 4

Posted 03 October 2005 - 10:07 AM

Seems like the new 6" would be a real winner if it was mounted on the one armed mount that they use for both the smaller 5" scope and the 8" goto version. I never like that way the 8" looks on that mount, too large. I would have a very hard time not buying that combination for visual use.

Scott

#12 jfaaz

jfaaz

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 October 2005 - 03:07 PM

:waytogo:

Good idea!

Did you hear that Celestron?

A C6i!

#13 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 11 October 2005 - 12:55 PM

Judging from the price structure, this particular scope is made by Synta, isn't it?

darkside

#14 jason_milani

jason_milani

Vanguard

Posted 12 October 2005 - 07:14 AM

I would like to see a CPC 6".

#15 Levente

Levente

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 12 October 2005 - 07:58 AM

As Synta bought Celestron the C6S is, of course, made by Synta :ooo: On A*mart I read that the OTA is actually made in Taiwain. I hope they meant that only the tube is imported from Taiwain the optics are Made in USA . (Meade is using similar procedure in case of their LXD 75 SN and ETX lines.)

#16 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 12 October 2005 - 09:05 AM

This makes me wonder just which Celestron ota's are still made in the USA. Presumably those 8" and above still are?

darkside

#17 williamoptics

williamoptics

Vendor (William Optics)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 14 October 2005 - 02:32 PM

Post deleted by williamoptics

#18 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors

Posted 14 October 2005 - 03:46 PM

Celestron's note on the selling of Celestron to SWTechnology Corp of Delaware, USA, says David Shen is the founder of Synta Optical Technology of Taiwan.
Synta Optical Technology is located, according to trade sites, at #65 Yu Shan Rd., New District, Suzhou City, Jiangsu Province, 215011.
Offices: No. 89 Lane 4, Chia An W. Rd.; Long Tan Tao Yuan, Taiwan
There's a discrepancy, there.
I believe it means they have offices in Taiwan, but manufacturing facilities in the PRC.
I had heard that the C6S will be the first totally-Asian-produced SCT for Celestron, but I assumed that meant at the plant in the PRC.
Have you heard anything to the contrary?

#19 howard

howard

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 15 October 2005 - 01:42 AM

I'm looking for a good travel scope that can be carried on plane, anyone know the dimensions of the C6, and even better, dimensions of case if there is one yet.

Thanks, Howard

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics