•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Criterion EPs

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Averted

Averted

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 September 2005 - 11:55 PM

Anyone know anything about Criterion orthos and A.R.s? Any info appreciated.

Just curious

Thanks!

#2 bobbie

bobbie

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 23 September 2005 - 07:46 PM

Their orthoscopics were said to be quite good. However all my Criterion EP's are rubbish.

#3 Mike Harvey

Mike Harvey

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 24 September 2005 - 11:30 PM

I almost didn't reply because I hate to be the bearer of evil tidings. But, then, I thought I might save yourself some regrets if you're thinking about buying some.

Over the years, I've owned a number of Criterion scopes, several of which (all Newtonians) were quite good, optically (don't even think about one of their SCT's!).
With these scopes came a large number of Criterion eyepieces. Without exception they ranged from "pure *Word deleted by the CN gnaughties gnomes*" (the Ramsdens, Kellner, etc.) to "just not very good" (Orthos).
Maybe there' someone out there whose experience is more positive...but I've never met that person.
Hope this helps!

Mike Harvey

#4 Averted

Averted

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 September 2005 - 03:56 PM

Well, thanks for the info, even if bad. They happen to be just coming with an old RV-6 I bought. I wasn't really counting on quality but just a bit curious. I will hold on to them though for the collectible value of the RV-6.

#5 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 26 October 2005 - 07:03 PM

Well, thanks for the info, even if bad. They happen to be just coming with an old RV-6 I bought. I wasn't really counting on quality but just a bit curious. I will hold on to them though for the collectible value of the RV-6.
-----

I have 9mm and 18mm ARs that came with an RV-6 that I recently purchased. I don't use em much, but IMHO they are decent eyepieces. Yes, the field of view is narrow, something around 36-38 degrees if my memory is serves me half decently. But they are reasonably sharp and they do not seem to have ghosts or other such problems.

With my RV-6 I normally use a set of Meade Circle T Orthos plus an similar vintage Meade Circle T MA-40. The scope does a nice job all the way around but the views in the MA-40 are quite amazing. Very sharp across the field of view.

Jon

#6 FAB

FAB

Stargeezer

Posted 26 October 2005 - 11:11 PM

I think I still have a Criterion eyepiece or two, Jon. My son, who's still using the RV6 I bought forty years ago may also have one or two. I'll bring mine and ask him to bring his to the star party near Palo Verde 04 & 05 November. If you make it, you can compare. I've always thought they were very passable.
FAB

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics