•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Finally Seeing Detail of Juptier with my 114GT

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Matthew E

Matthew E

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 February 2004 - 11:25 PM

Hey Guys, :jump:

I am so happy, tonight was a clear night, probably one of the best so far, since i got my scope in december, it was clear, and not to chilly. Anyways i was able to finally see Jupiters Cloud belts, i saw atleast 2-3 and i was estatic! :) i used both my blue filter and without a filter and noticed some more detail with the blue filter i think it was #80A, i cant wait to experiment with some of my other filters. Also i was able to watch Io pass behind the planet, that was just icing on the cake!

:jump: :D

Clear Skies and Warm Weather!
Matthew.

#2 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 04 February 2004 - 11:58 PM

That's awesome Matthew. I have the 114 also and I knew you would be amazed. Have you observed Saturn yet? That's the one that hooked me forever.

#3 Matthew E

Matthew E

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 February 2004 - 12:05 AM

Ya actually Saturn was first view ever, i just pointed at the brightest object there there it was :) this was almost as good as saturn :)

I also received my Baader Solar Filter today and cant wait to use it.

#4 Darren

Darren

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 05 February 2004 - 12:26 PM

Hey Matthew,

Have you found a dark site yet? Not that you really need one for planetary observations. I have a 114mm reflector as well, and I can get four bands on Jupiter easily, and during odd moments of exceptional clarity, as many as six. Keep observing, your eye gets better at noticing subtle details with practice. Another treat you have in store for you are shadow transits of Jupiter's moons (black dot visible against planet's surface) and the Great Red Spot (which doesn't really look very red to me). Happy hunting!

#5 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 21 February 2004 - 10:13 AM

I also have a 114GT and 2 to 4 bands (depending on how the seeing shifted) where easily vissable with the packaged 10mm eye peice. Maybe you scope needs collimating(sp?) or your skys are not so dark.

#6 Syzygy

Syzygy

Surveyor 1

Posted 21 February 2004 - 05:29 PM

Matthew E,
Isn't Jupiter cool? :grin: I had my 130 out last week on a night of great seeing and I was giggling and grinning like a school kid. I'm sure my neighbors would have been suspect of what was going on on my deck if they heard me. :lol:
Saturn made me gasp. It was the first time I've ever viewed it with clarity and I managed to get a clear tight view with a 6mm Plossl. As soon as Jupiter cleared the trees, I was on it, but it was a bit low at first and was boiling a bit. I went inside, had some joe and tried again about an hour later. I was mesmorized. I could make out 4 bands and 4 moons. I used a yellow filter, which after further research, I discovered isn't the best choice. I'm going to use the green or blue the next time out.
I now sit here waiting out cloudy skies, jonesing like a junkie for the next clear night! :grin:

#7 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 25 February 2004 - 03:33 AM

John -- you used a 6mm Plossl. Thanks for the tip. I still haven't figured out what the difference is between EPs. I didn't have time to go throught the lenses to see how they differ.

Pat

#8 Syzygy

Syzygy

Surveyor 1

Posted 25 February 2004 - 05:31 PM

Patzee,
My own (very limited) experience has been that the 6mm Plossl is about as high as I can go and still get a tightly focused, clean picture that doesn't feel like you're looking through a soda straw. I also have a 9, 15, and 32mm Plossl selection. I'm also gradually becoming attached to the 9mm and 32mm EP's.
My EP selection is an uneducated and haphazard trial and error program, :lol:, but I'm having max fun with the learning curve! The Pleiades look SWEET through the 32mm Plossl.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics