•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Ordered 9.25 GPS

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 February 2004 - 04:31 PM

I'm new to this forum, but I just ordered a new 9.25GPS. It will probably be a couple of weeks before I see it. In the meantime, I was wondering if anyone could tell me about some things to do, or to buy, to make operating the scope more enjoyable. Thanks.

#2 ridurall

ridurall

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 05 February 2004 - 04:44 PM

Welcome to the Nexstar family Jeff. If you look down on the list of posts in this Nexstar gps forum there is one listed under "accessories to start with". That's a good place to start. What kind of eyepieces do you have? One of my favorites in my NS11 is a Panoptic 27mm. I see you live in Tacoma. I lived there for two years in the early 80's. Almost stayed there but the Air Force decided I needed to be on the other coast. Anyway check out some of the other posts and if you have any questions just post them. There are plenty of folks here that are great sources of information. Also check some of the other earlier posts. There some some great ideas there also.

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 February 2004 - 04:54 PM

I've been here since October, it probably won't be long before the USAF moves me along. I sprung for the celestron eyepiece kit, it seemed to be a good value.

#4 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 05 February 2004 - 04:54 PM

The Nexstar GPS models are extremely nice instruments; you'll get great service from it.

The usual accessory suggestions apply:
observing chair www.buyastrostuff.com
dew shield & heater Kendrick or Dew Buster
the $99 eyepiece set if still available
a handful of Naglers and Panoptics! :roflmao:
Planisphere

#5 Jeff_Richards

Jeff_Richards

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 05 February 2004 - 05:04 PM

Hi Jeff,

Welcome aboard! The list John gave you is a good starting point. The Celestron eyepiece "kit" is a good place to start and figure out what magnification you like to use most. Once you have that down, you can opt for a "nicer" eyepiece in that focal length range.

Some sort of portable power supply is also a good idea for those times you "get away from it all". Make sure you opt for at least a 17ah deep cycle type supply so you aren't disappointed in the middle of the night (dew heaters can really be a burden on a battery).

Good luck and clear skies,
Jeff

#6 David A Rodger

David A Rodger

Viking 1

• ****-

Posted 05 February 2004 - 05:36 PM

Hi, Jeff;
If only the NexStar 925 GPS could part the clouds it would be the perfect instrument. I live north of you near Vancouver, BC, so I can assure you that this instrument works well in a clear sky. I wrote a review of it last summer after I received mine, and I'd be happy to share it with you, if you send me an e-mail message through this forum. I will try to post it here, but the last time I tried, it didn't work. Probably too long. It has a number if helpful hints. One more thing - - my wife would be the first to point out that the telescope is the cheapest part of this hobby. Your real expenses - in terms of eyepieces, binoviewers, filters, larger diagonals, books, carrying cases, etc. - - are just beginning! You'll love it though.

Attached Files

#7 Jeff_Richards

Jeff_Richards

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 05 February 2004 - 05:45 PM

Hi David,

Why not post the review to our host site Cloudy Nights? Submit your review to Allister for posting to the review site. That way we can all enjoy it.

Clear skies,
Jeff

#8 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 February 2004 - 05:50 PM

If only the NexStar 925 GPS could part the clouds it would be the perfect instrument. I live north of you near Vancouver, BC, so I can assure you that this instrument works well in a clear sky. I wrote a review of it last summer after I received mine, and I'd be happy to share it with you, if you send me an e-mail message through this forum. I will try to post it here, but the last time I tried, it didn't work. Probably too long.

The attachment worked this time, I was able to download it no problem. I know what you're saying about the weather, clear nights are far and few between here.

#9 David A Rodger

David A Rodger

Viking 1

• ****-

Posted 05 February 2004 - 06:16 PM

Hi, Jeff;

The review can be downloaded from my post above. Who's Allister? And can he just transfer it from the attachment above? Keep in mind this was originally written for the retailer from whom I bought the scope last summer. That's included in the review. Also it's not a review in the strictest sense; more of a voyage of personal discovery, to be a bit corny about it.

#10 Jeff_Richards

Jeff_Richards

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 05 February 2004 - 09:07 PM

Hi David,

Allister is the owner of this site. He starting this whole thing as strictly a review site for astro equipment and it has grown to what we have here. The forums were an off-shoot from the original review website. If you go to the base URL you will find the review site.

Clear skies,
Jeff

#11 David A Rodger

David A Rodger

Viking 1

• ****-

Posted 05 February 2004 - 09:51 PM

Thanks, Jeff. (We seem to have two Jeffs working this link at the moment, in diagonally opposite parts of the USA. A marvellous medium this WWW.) DAR

#12 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 05 February 2004 - 11:04 PM

Jeff T, you're gonna love that scope...now all you need is viewing conditions... :confused:

#13 summitlake

summitlake

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 05 February 2004 - 11:55 PM

Went to John's link for BuyAstroStuff and their site is pretty broken. Ray and Frank aren't admitting to having updated their site since Nov 2002 and right now there are no links to products. John wouldn't list if it wasn't a working site so perhaps their server has issues. Rats, I wanted to see the observing chair.

#14 Jeff_Richards

Jeff_Richards

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 February 2004 - 12:12 AM

Hi Alex,

I just went to Frank's site and it worked fine for me. The link to the metal observing chair worked as well. I can also recommend the chair as it has been serving me well for over two years now.

Clear skies,
Jeff

#15 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 February 2004 - 12:25 AM

Jeff T, you're gonna love that scope...now all you need is viewing conditions... :confused:

i've heard about the one cloudy night per inch of aperture for new scopes. with the weather here, i can believe that. :bawling:

#16 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 February 2004 - 12:43 AM

Hi Jeff,

I have the same scope. I love it so far. But, one accessory I'd strongly recommend is a good quality 2" diagonal. I was not impressed with the 1 1/4 that came with it. I ordered the Williams Optics 2" SCT diagonal and am very pleased with it. It comes with a 1 1/4 adapter -- all for $130.

David -- I enjoyed reading your review of the 9 1/4. Thanks.

Carl

#17 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 06 February 2004 - 02:54 AM

Went to John's link for BuyAstroStuff and their site is pretty broken. Ray and Frank aren't admitting to having updated their site since Nov 2002 and right now there are no links to products. John wouldn't list if it wasn't a working site so perhaps their server has issues. Rats, I wanted to see the observing chair.

I dunno; suddenly my browser doesn't like their Java menu bar either. The chairs are at:
http://www.buyastros...ir-no-frame.htm

#18 Dennis

Dennis

Apollo

• -----

Posted 06 February 2004 - 12:04 PM

Good suggestions above. I also just received my WO 2" diagonal (today) and am very anxious to try it out. Waiting snow/ice/rain storm to pass. (Hope my neighbors don't realize this storm is because of the curse!) Since you got the EP kit, you can wait to decide which additional EPs you'll need.

To prepare for your 9ΒΌ, you could download the manual from the Celestron site. Visit http://www.nexstarsite.com/index.html for more useful information.

In addition, I'd suggest, if you are not familiar with the sky yet, to obtain star chart/reference books. Start a notebook and list the deep sky targets you want to observe. I list by constellation so for the Auriga area for instance, some of my list includes M36, M37, M38, IC405, M1, NCG1647. Build some multiple night observation programs so that, when you get all set up, you can then just start down your list and make observation notes as you go along. You'll learn alot in the process.

You've picked a very nice scope and will have many rewarding nights ahead. Be sure to review a few of observation reports on this forum to get more ideas, and to prepare you for your report to us!

#19 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 February 2004 - 12:36 PM

thanks everyone. it looks like buying the scope was just the beginning. i now have a nice list of things to buy. i did buy some books prior to the purchase. I bought Nightwatch, Star Watch, Starwatching(both books). I'm also trying desperately to find a copy of turn left at orion. i do have a small refractor i've been poking around the sky with in the interim.

#20 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 06 February 2004 - 04:18 PM

My diagonal, while not a TV, seems to work just fine. I mention this so that you free that money up for a decent finder scope (RH instead of that darn straight through) and more eye pieces. Do try a few out before you by. Diagonals that is (OK, eye pieces too). That way your money goes to improving your viewing experience, not necessarily your bragging rights.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics