•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SATURN - MAGIC MALLEE MORNING SEEING..!!! EDIT!!!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
105 replies to this topic

#1 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:13 AM

Gee some of you fellas are hard task-masters, that's for sure!!! :tonofbricks: :lol:

But full marks to Emil & Sean, you were quite correct imo to point that out: here is a version I hope folks can live with a bit better .....although tbh it was something I was already aware of and the last paragraph (below in bold) explains it somewhat although I go into greater details in my reply down the thread - I was "processed-out" with loads of data still unexplored etc and I just wanted to post these and take a break.....which is why I didn't respond to anyone beforehand: but I apologise for that and am about to reply below...
:)

Hi folks – Pat & I never lose the passion and eagerness to get out under open skies where/when we image the planets, and of course Saturn is one of those planets that can almost take your breath away no matter how many images and how satisfying the outcomes are….. :)

So after the weather scuttling our hopes of going out on the Sunday to the disused sportsground out in the Murray Mallee, we found ourselves making another Monday afternoon/evening trip in the hope of some sort of opportunity even though the forecasts suggested “decent” seeing at best around midnight with a high probability of cloud/transparency issues (this is the 3rd Monday in a row we’ve gone to this delightful spot..!)

As we got closer to the general area we were dismayed to see a very large pall of smoke stretching North to South as far as we could see, along with rain falling from clouds off in the distance. :confused: :shocked: :(

I pulled up (we had the caravan in tow) and got out to gauge the wind direction (a due Westerly) although it was very light…..but for some reason I wasn’t feeling too pessimistic – that’s always a possibility, but with the van we knew we could have a nice meal and get plenty of sleep beforehand, as well as go back to bed in comfort if the skies didn’t cooperate..! :sleepy:

Anyway, to cut a long story shorter  the clouds that had covered nearly all the sky for most of the day dissipated around midnight and we got up about 1:20am, switched everything on and did a collimation on Spica, taking our time to get it as right as possible and at least thinking the star patterns showed the seeing wasn’t too foul at all. :)

We were imaging just after 1:30am with fairish onscreen images but a tad before 2:45am I muttered to Pat that the seeing had suddenly “GTTFR” (as I held my breath, just as I do every time I see a very good onscreen image - always wondering how long it will last… :bow:)

She joked about what that meant and I explained to here I thought the seeing had “Gone Through The $@&%*#! Roof!” :grin:

An hour and a half later it was still right up on the screen so we did what I’d been meaning to do for ages – use the variable image scale unit I’d made and had never before adjusted during imaging… :question:

Slid the camera back about an inch (later found out the f/l effectively went from around 53/400 to about 6000mm) and refocussed and went on imaging…..

Apart from the transparency which manifested itself as a quite thick visible haze around Saturn (the Moon was out) the seeing must’ve been around 8 or 8.5/10…..transparency maybe only 7/10 at best with some poorer periods also.

Anyway, I have been a bit processed out lately and being really honest we looked at all the avi’s and decided to only process the larger-scaled ones first…..there is a period of over an hour where 7 rgb sets are all of a very high quality…..but I’ll leave those for later to process.

Here’s the best (I think) 6000mm f/l rgb set at around 170% capture scale…

Attached Thumbnails

• 5761815-Drizzle30_Sat_250313_ASI120MM_175415_RGBRing&EnckeAdjustFIN@170%.jpg

#2 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:14 AM

…..and an annotated image of the one above at a more usual for me images scale (130%) :)

Attached Thumbnails

• 5761818-Drizzle30_Sat_250313_ASI120MM_175415_RGBRing&EnckeAdjustFIN@130%.png

#3 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:16 AM

This is a 2-frame animation of the above image with another 26 minutes later showing a very dark spot and numerous bright areas etc…..the image quality was starting to drop by now but these 2 are still worthwhile together to show details and movement across the Saturnian disk… :)

Attached Thumbnails

• 5761821-Drizzle30_Sat_250313_ASI120MM_175415_RGBFINAL@130%.gif

#4 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:17 AM

Next the red channel from the rgb set shown in the first 2 images in this thread…..

Attached Thumbnails

• 5761822-Drizzle30_Sat_250313_ASI120MM_182033_R#2astmlvls@150%.png

#5 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:19 AM

…an iR742nM taken as the last of the morning as seeing started to tail of and just as importantly we were feeling all the late nights of recently catching up – we were dog-tired..!!! :sleepy: :sleepy: :sleepy:

Attached Thumbnails

• 5761825-Drizzle30_Sat_250313_ASI120MM_184507_IR#2FIN@140%.png

#6 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:20 AM

Here are the best red, green & blue channel frames as chosen by AS!2 but they are from the lesser-quality rgb used in the animation…..

Attached Thumbnails

• 5761827-BestSingleFrames.jpg

#7 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:21 AM

Next a comparison between the image scale employed with the bulk (and possibly the best) of the good seeing and that after I adjusted the device I made – I am pretty pleased as we did not really have time to recheck collimation but the self-centring design I created certainly seemed to have had no effect whatsoever on the collimation judging by the focusing of the onscreen image – with the larger image onscreen I could really go “deep’ into focus adjustments which was an additional benefit…..and even though the larger scale wasn’t as undersampled as the smaller the avi’s took 3X drizzling without any worries whatsoever..! :grin:

Attached Thumbnails

• 5761828-BestSingleFramesR_ImageScaleVariation.jpg

#8 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:23 AM

This pik is for the folks who have asked me a bit more about the Murray Mallee where we do the bulk of our imaging :) – I don’t have any piks of the vista from the actual location of these latest imaging forays but this might set a bit of the scene for some folks…..an image (postage stamp-sized jpeg that is!) of the one that I exhibited in my last very successful exhibition featuring digital prints of nightscapes juxtaposed against my mixed-media wallworks: here one can see the conjunction of Venus & Jupiter (in Taurus) and the Old Moon rising above the Mallee Flats – this is from an elevated position about 30 kms (20 miles) as the crow flies from this particular imaging location…..in direct line with the position of the Moon…

Attached Thumbnails

• 5761831-Seven-Sisters-Peramangk-Dawn.jpg

#9 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:24 AM

Finally a sequence of 4 images I took yesterday after thinking it was time to get off my backside re the promise I’ve been giving out to quite a few folks here and elsewhere about displaying how my variable image scale setup works…..the only thing I think that needs a bit of extra explanation is that the body of this device is made from a cheap commercial 2” Extension Tube…..the stepped down section at the focuser end has been parted (ie, cut off) in a lathe and then a shallow groove to accept a brass compression band clamp inserted in the truncated end…..in effect giving it a compression band at both ends, but the new one holding a standard commercial 2” to 1&1/4” adapter.

Image #1

Attached Thumbnails

• 5761833-BarlowSetup#1.jpg

#10 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:25 AM

Image #2...

Attached Thumbnails

• 5761834-BarlowSetup#2.jpg

#11 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:26 AM

Image #3...

Attached Thumbnails

• 5761836-BarlowSetup#3.jpg

#12 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:28 AM

Lastly, Image #4.....and despite any notions to the contrary this whole unit is actually very light and via the fittings to the EFW etc is absolutely rock-solid and inflexible..! :)

Attached Thumbnails

• 5761838-BarlowSetup#4.jpg

#13 ZuoZhao

ZuoZhao

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:33 AM

Really nice of these sets.
Do you took 3X drizzling in AS2 and then resized to 170% ?

#14 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:33 AM

I've never seen Enckes so bold. That's brilliant work.
The spotty cloud details strung out in longitude is wild.
One of the best Sarurns Ive ever seen.

Pete

#15 Space99

Space99

Ranger 4

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:40 AM

Unbelievable
I take a bow Sir :bow:

Mick

#16 Steve OK

Steve OK

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:42 AM

Once again you have set the bar impossibly high! World-class work, Darryl. Inspirational, incredible!

Steve

#17 hopskipson

hopskipson

Gemini

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:52 AM

Those images are U-B-F-L! (UnBeF#@&^!ingLeavable). Congrats to you on such jaw dropping images.

#18 dyslexic nam

dyslexic nam

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:56 AM

Just wow.

#19 slepage

slepage

Viking 1

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:00 AM

Thank you so much for all the information. I love that sliding Barlow.

Those are the best images of Saturn yet.

Steve

#20 Olorin

Olorin

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:53 AM

Darryl, first thanks a lot for the information on your set up. Very detailed and helpful. As for the Saturn image well you left me speachless, the amount of details, the color balance, it's just ... well as i said I am speechless.
Bravo

Dror

#21 ToxMan

ToxMan

Skylab

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:03 AM

What can one say that has not already been said? It is obvious to everyone, you were willing to think outside the box, come up with a device that makes scaling the subject size up or down, helped develop and advance planetary imaging with a new camera, not knowing if it would be an improvement and taken planetary imaging to a whole new level. And, even when conditions were sub-optimal, produced some remarkable images. Then, when great condition finally bless you, you came through with an exciting and stunning set of images. The best I have every seen of Saturn from a ground based telescope.

I would like to nominate Darryl and Pat amateur astrophotographers of the year! Do I hear a second?

#22 bunyon

bunyon

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:06 AM

You know, really disappointing set of images, Darryl. Your depth of focus on the equipment images just isn't quite there. Keep working on it, I'm sure someday you'll take a nice image of something. Maybe it'll have a ring on it.

In case it isn't clear, tongue is firmly in cheek with the above comment - those Saturns are superb. As Pete says, it is really rare to see Encke's so clear for so much of the ring. And the detail on the disk is fantastic. The animation really helps nail down the many subtle features.

#23 steveyzh

steveyzh

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:08 AM

OMG! Speechless. :bow: :bow:

Steve

#24 Freddy WILLEMS

Freddy WILLEMS

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:54 AM

Hexagon is just perfect Darryl.... the best ever.... some people do share....

#25 Fogboundturtle

Fogboundturtle

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:03 AM

I am not worthy ! I am not worthy /bow

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics