•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Rotating rings ?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
286 replies to this topic

#251 Dow Mathis

Dow Mathis

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 02 November 2006 - 04:09 PM

I think I'll give it a shot, Kent. The only thing I'm not sure of is how thick the tape needs to be and which type I should get. They've got a slew of different types and thicknesses, all the way up to .125" thick Teflon tape. Look here: http://tinyurl.com/yg7mq8.

#252 kent

kent

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 02 November 2006 - 07:54 PM

That looks like pretty nice stuff there Dow! I don't think you need to go.125". I just measured the original tape on my Orion rings an it is just slightly over .020". I was looking at the dimensions of thier stuff and I think I would use the .020" stuff which is actually .022" or the .030 which is actually .035 thick by 1/2" wide. You could double it up to put on your rings for your 8" and trim the excess from the edge. The original tape is about .75" wide. I hope this helps you Dow in you decision. Good luck!
P.S. the Orion rings are 1 1/4 wide.

Kent

#253 Dow Mathis

Dow Mathis

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 03 November 2006 - 01:01 AM

Well, I'll have to use what's coming, and hope that it's thick enough. I ordered this stuff: http://tinyurl.com/ydrpjr, on the advice of the lady there. She recommended it because she felt that it would wear better.

#254 kent

kent

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 03 November 2006 - 06:53 AM

I wouldn't worry about it . It's probably going to be thick enough since the side of your OTA is smooth and there is nothing to catch on. :waytogo: So when you make the mod on the rings let a fellow know how it works out. :thanx:

Kent

#255 Dow Mathis

Dow Mathis

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 07 November 2006 - 12:03 AM

Well, the stuff came in today, and man, is it ever slick. I replaced the original felt tape with it tonight, and it's going to work great. I can cinch the rings down to where the OTA won't move at all, and then back the clamps off half a turn, and the OTA rotates really easy. They charged me just over $11.00 including shipping for five yards of it, and I've got a slew left over. I may monkey with putting it along the edge of the top ring for the Wilcox ring to run along. Man, I don't think I've ever seen anything this slick that wasn't wet or greased.

#256 kent

kent

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 07 November 2006 - 07:13 AM

Great to hear it worked out :jump: Did you remove the original tape off the rings or just put it over the top? One more question. Is the tape thick enough or do you think a little thicker would be better :question: I think I'm going to get some and was wondering on the thickness. Great idea about putting some on the side of the Wilcox ring. :waytogo:

Kent

#257 Dow Mathis

Dow Mathis

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 07 November 2006 - 10:24 AM

I removed the original felt tape and the stick-um underneath. I also took a small file and smoothed out some burrs that were under the tape. I did it in sections, replacing the same piece on each ring and then trying it on the mount with the OTA to see how it worked. Originally, I was just going to replace half of it on each ring, thinking that the felt would help in locking the ota in place, but the more I replaced, the better it worked, so I ended up raplacing all of it.

If you've got the same OTA and rings that I do (Orion) then I think that the .010 stuff should work fine. If it's not thick enough, then I guess you could pull it off and build up with masking tape or something and try again until you had a good fit. Mine works just fine like it is.

#258 kent

kent

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 07 November 2006 - 11:18 AM

Thanks Dow, I guess I'll make the call! Thanks

Kent

#259 Dow Mathis

Dow Mathis

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 07 November 2006 - 01:32 PM

Kent, Make sure and talk with the lady about your viewing environment. She asked me what the temperature extremes would be before making her recommendation.

#260 kent

kent

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 07 November 2006 - 04:26 PM

Too late Dow already ordered what you did. What kind of questions? Oh well it should be O.K. Their shouldn't be that much difference in the temp between Texas and Prince Edward Island in January!! :roflmao:

Kent

#261 Dow Mathis

Dow Mathis

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 07 November 2006 - 06:15 PM

Should be similar, lol. It's 73 degrees F here now.

She asked me what the minimum operating temp would be.

#262 kent

kent

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 07 November 2006 - 07:36 PM

Holy Smokes :bigshock: It was 30 degrees F this morning. Did she happen to mention if their was such a thing as being to cold? Last winter I was out in -20 C :coldday: But it was some good veiwing, crystal clear!!

Kent

#263 Dow Mathis

Dow Mathis

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 13 November 2006 - 01:08 PM

Hey Kent, did you get your teflon yet? How do you like it?

#264 kent

kent

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 November 2006 - 03:08 PM

Thanks for asking Dow ;) but not yet. It's probably still at the border :bawling: I called them up and asked for the same stuff you had bought. She looked it up and said it would be on the way. I never bothered to ask when the ETA would be :foreheadslap: It's a civic holiday up here today(Rememberence Day) so it might be closer then I think. So how is yours working out since you applied it to your rings? Make a big difference?
Dow I will definitly let you know when it gets here.

Kent

#265 Dow Mathis

Dow Mathis

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 13 November 2006 - 03:33 PM

It works great. We had a club star party Saturday night, and I finally had a chance to use it in a "real world" situation. I've got two flip clamps that I had laying around in the shop installed on my rings. They're like these: http://www.hartville...m/product/10972, and work great. You use them with a 1/4-20 threaded bolt. Anyway, I just flip them up, turn the OTA (nearly spins) and flip them back down. Solid as a rock when clamped, and you can rotate the tube with a couple of fingers and thumb at each end when they're released. :waytogo:

Oh yeah, I forgot to add that it was in the upper 60's or low 70's when the sun went down, and in the 30's when we shut down for the night (5 hours later maybe), and the rings behaved the same throughout.

#266 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators

Posted 13 November 2006 - 03:59 PM

Hi Dow - I have a couple of questions... first, what was the hottest that it's been since you put the teflon on?

Second, do you still have enough of the tape left over to do another pair of rings? If so maybe we can make a deal to take it off your hands...

Charlie

#267 kent

kent

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 November 2006 - 04:11 PM

Right on Dow! Glad to see them working out the way you were expecting. Yes those little flip clamps work great. Thats what I'm also using, can't be beat! Good to hear they behaved the same in the temp. swing, but I would be more worried about the tape staying on in -15* F.
I have a pic of my set up in the Mounts forum under "Idea's Please"

Kent

#268 Dow Mathis

Dow Mathis

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 13 November 2006 - 05:48 PM

Hi Dow - I have a couple of questions... first, what was the hottest that it's been since you put the teflon on?

Second, do you still have enough of the tape left over to do another pair of rings? If so maybe we can make a deal to take it off your hands...

Charlie

Hey Charlie,

I haven't had it up to hi temperature yet, but according to their spec sheet, http://www.cshyde.com/UHMWFilmspec.htm I'd say it should hold up to the Florida heat as well as to the South Texas heat. Hopefully, it will stand up to Kent's frigid PEI as well.

I've got a good bit left, but I'm not sure how much. I ordered a 5 yard roll of the stuff, and did two rings for an 8" ota, so that's about 28" each, give or take... Let's make that about five feet and change on account of I cut one piece too short, and discarded it. I ought to have between nine and ten feet left.

#269 kent

kent

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 27 November 2006 - 12:38 PM

Hey Kent, did you get your teflon yet? How do you like it?

Hey Dow, just recieved it today! In the process of putting them on now. Will let you know.

#270 grimm

grimm

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 10 March 2008 - 12:44 PM

thank you very much for the enjoyable read. this is my next project to be started immediately, i wish i would've thought about this or read about this when i first got my scope.

#271 grimm

grimm

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 10 March 2008 - 12:48 PM

i think the best thread for an overall summation is charlie hein's page 6 thread about half way down. that makes the wilcox rings make sense.

#272 EricV

EricV

Vostok 1

Posted 25 March 2008 - 09:03 PM

An idea for anyone wanting an easier way to rotate using the wilcox method.

Basically I took a handle for my Milwaukee hammer drill, put a hole through the metal hose clamps, inserted a long enough threaded bolt through hole to connect to handle and you can turn handle to tighten or loosen ring if need be.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2282432-P3251415.jpg

#273 erik

erik

telescope surgeon

Posted 25 March 2008 - 10:03 PM

Nice idea! :waytogo:

#274 EricV

EricV

Vostok 1

Posted 26 March 2008 - 05:50 AM

Thank you. It dawned on me when I was using my drill and had to turn it a bit for better positioning. Now I just need to countersink the tube ring screws for finer rotation and find some bicycle release arms and this project is complete.

#275 kent

kent

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 26 March 2008 - 09:41 AM

Great Idea Eric! All I've been doing is grabbing the end of the OTA and spinning it around, Then locking it down.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics