•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Rotating rings ?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
286 replies to this topic

#276 EricV

EricV

Vostok 1

Posted 26 March 2008 - 07:39 PM

That's what I had been doing but it never failed that the clutches would let the gears slip and my alignment would be lost. This way I can grab the extra dovetail and turn the scope without anything else moving :grin:

It dawned on me today that not everyone would have a drill handle handy so another idea I had is something like a jump rope handle, a freestyle peg for a bicycle, or something similar with a wide base to allow the clamp to be pulled into the handle to tighten ring. Although you wouldn't really need to tighten the ring with the handle so long as you have access to the tightening screw from a different location.

#277 bherv

bherv

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 March 2008 - 06:58 PM

I think I may have a handle lying around. That is a great idea.
Barry

#278 MikeS

MikeS

Apollo

• -----

Posted 30 March 2008 - 10:56 AM

I have been using the Antares Tube Rotator for several months. It works flawlessly, but it weighs about 10lbs. Add the Denkmeier binoviewers with a pair of EP and the weight adds up. So to take some stress off my Sirius mount, I've put the Wilcox Rings back on.

I got some Teflon Tape (UHMW Tape - Acrylic Adhesive) as mentioned earlier by Dow and Kent. But instead of sticking it inside the tube rings, I affixed it around the circumference of the OTA. Inside the tube rings, I glued strips of ebony star material.

This setup gives incredibly smooth rotation, and weights much less than the 10 lb Antares rotator. If I ever get an Atlas mount, the rotator will go back on. But for now, this works so well!

#279 rogercelliott

rogercelliott

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 13 January 2009 - 02:25 AM

Hi there,
I just bought a 12" Protostar Blacklite tube and have painted it and clearcoated it. I just went and got some vinyl tubing and the hose clamps. Looks like it's going to work OK but I will have to get a set of rings from Orion and some channel aluminum from Online Metals to make a proper cradle. The previous cradle I had made allows too much slop and the teflon pads I'm using don't really allow the tube to rotate very well. I'm curious if anyone has had experience doing this same sort of mod on a painted tube rather than a finished metal tube. My surface finish came out kind of rough even though I sanded between coats and used a high gloss finish.
Thanks to all for such a great idea!

#280 rogercelliott

rogercelliott

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 17 January 2009 - 01:50 AM

Hi MikeS
I just got a pair of Orion 298mm telescope rings and I remember you mentioned something about lubricating the felt liners with some kind of lube..... What was it?

#281 MikeS

MikeS

Apollo

• -----

Posted 18 January 2009 - 02:59 PM

It was White Lithium Grease. I sent you a pm with a link.

#282 Trebor777

Trebor777

Hazy

Posted 25 January 2009 - 06:38 PM

What a great thread. I was literally about to spend $490 + shipping for a pair of rotating rings for my 10" Meade SN10. After reading this thread, I went to Home Depot, picked up 10' of vinyl tubing, and 4 5" ring clamps.... I got a hotdog, came home and ate it, then a 1/2 hour later I had 2 rotating rings that work great.

I went from spening $500+ on rotating rings down to $16 at Home Depot.

This thread saved me $500

:bow: :jump: :shocked: :grin: :ooo: ;) :bow: :yay: :rockon: :whee:

#283 Myles

Myles

Viking 1

Posted 18 February 2009 - 11:46 PM

Very good thread. Has me thinking about adding an 8" Orion for my SVP mount instead of going with a Lightbridge.

- Myles

#284 Bill Cowles

Bill Cowles

MacGyver

Posted 19 February 2009 - 11:36 AM

That is exactly what I did after finding about the rings.

Bill

Attached Thumbnails

• 2937088-DSC_0146.jpg

#285 Colm

Colm

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 September 2009 - 11:44 PM

This should be a sticky, methinks. I tried to add it to the "best of..." sticky thread, but I couldn't post there.

Until that happens, it certainly deserves the occasional bump so new people like me can find it.

This is an excellent solution to an old nagging problem, and really helped me out (rotating rings are way beyond my budget). I got the materials and am in the process of making my Wilcox rings over this weekend. :whee:

Thanks to all who developed the idea. :goodjob:

#286 Ian Robinson

Ian Robinson

Voyager 1

Posted 19 September 2009 - 11:59 PM

I simply loosen up the clamps on my tube rings and rotate the tube to suit , then retighten .

I looked at tube rings that had bearings in them but I decided against them as I wasn't certain they'd have a good firm grip on the tube or not accidentially allow the tube to rotate when the focusor was loaded up with my camera and the associated OAG and coma corrector. Wasn't keen on the cost to get them custom made for my non-standard OTA tube size either.

#287 Don W

Don W

Founding Member

Posted 20 September 2009 - 09:59 AM

This should be a sticky, methinks. I tried to add it to the "best of..." sticky thread, but I couldn't post there.

Until that happens, it certainly deserves the occasional bump so new people like me can find it.

This is an excellent solution to an old nagging problem, and really helped me out (rotating rings are way beyond my budget). I got the materials and am in the process of making my Wilcox rings over this weekend. :whee:

Thanks to all who developed the idea. :goodjob:

This thread is already in The Best of Reflectors thread.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics