•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Focusing question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 February 2004 - 02:29 PM

Hello everyone. I have a 114gt and have noticed that it's difficult to focus at higher power (about 100x). It focuses good at lower powers (so I don't think it has to do with collimation). I was wondering if this was normal and I just need to spend more time getting used to it and making minor adjustments or if it might be something else. This is my first scope, so I'm not sure if it is just naturally more difficult to focus at higher power. Thanks.

#2 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 07 February 2004 - 03:08 PM

The first thing I would suspect IS MISCOLLIMATION. It does not show itself at low magnification and does show itself as magnification increases.

edz

#3 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

Posted 07 February 2004 - 11:02 PM

Wolf, go to the reflectors forum and look at the thread about collimation. It will apply to the 114GT as well. Good luck!

#4 TeamGS

TeamGS

Gemini

Posted 08 February 2004 - 01:56 AM

While it is indeed more difficult to get a precise focus at higher powers, 100X is really not that high. The 114 is good up to about 225 (Providing great seeing conditions. The focuser is also not super precise, which can cause some difficulties at higher powerw, getting it to "snap" into focus. Having said this, I would also suspect that your OTA may be out of collimation.

Try a star test and see.

Good luck!

Gary

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics