•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

What to do, what to do?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 February 2004 - 04:23 PM

I have an old Meade 10" Starfinder dobsonian. The 2" focuser is best described by Ed Ting:

" The finder and focuser are made of incredibly cheap plastic, and should be put out of their misery at the earliest opportunity."

Needless to say, I ripped the finder out and replaced it with a Telrad. Last week, I finally got around to the focuser. I ordered a decent one from Orion ( Focuser ) with the cool aluminum wheels (Focuser wheels). However, now we have a problem.

My lowest power eyepiece (40mm) won't come into focus, because the lack of out travel; same for my 25mm and 10mm.

My question, should I send the focuser back and opt for one with more out travel or move the mirror cell back a little bit?

BTW, I already bottomed out the mirror on the cell and tryed to refocus.

Thanks!

#2 jmoore

jmoore

Surveyor 1

Posted 07 February 2004 - 04:39 PM

you could try an extension tube. Here's one that would work for 1.25" EPs. I imagine someone makes 'em for 2-inchers, too.

http://www.siebertop...converters.html

good luck.
jeff

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 February 2004 - 04:46 PM

I was thinking about those also. However, my concern with adding on is, am I going to be able to focus in enough? I don't need 1.5 inches more, probably half an inch at most.

#4 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 February 2004 - 04:56 PM

Let me take that back. That looks like a great idea! Orion actually sells both 1.25" and 2" for less. Thanks!

P.S. I called Orion to ask how far out the tube extended, and the lady told me to call back on Monday and talk to a "tech". I thought they always had knowledgeable people there!

#5 Tom T

Tom T

A Father, A Teacher, A Pioneer

• In Memoriam

Posted 07 February 2004 - 11:41 PM

Adam, they have a couple of different sizes.

IIRC, The one I have from them is a 2" that adds 1.5" of out travel....

Tom T.

#6 litespeed

litespeed

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 08 February 2004 - 10:18 AM

Adam,

Try a search for this.....

This topic was covered in detail recently. Within the last 2 months.

You may find your answers there.

AJ

#7 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 February 2004 - 05:48 PM

Thanks for all of your help. It looks like I'm going to buy the 2" extender from Orion. I figure if I have a problem with there not being enough in-travel, than I can just let the primary off of the cell a little bit to compensate!

Thanks again to everyone!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics