•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ZAO I vs. ZAO II...?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
102 replies to this topic

#101 turtle86

turtle86

Mr. Coffee

Posted 01 February 2016 - 12:16 PM

*ahem* all I can say is, when you're raising the price of something form $250 to $600 you darn well better promise some improvment!   Now whether the marketing hype matches reality is another story.

Did not see any color tone on the ZAO-I's I had, quite the opposite in fact.  I also doubt the tranmission on the 80's Jena orthos was only 90%, there's only 4 coatings surfaces and they should be at least 99% or higher transmission each.

Well, the TMB Supermonos are also more than twice what they were 10-12 years ago and I haven't heard any claims that the present ones are better.

Ultimately supply and demand set the price.

#102 vahe

vahe

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:47 AM

all I can say is, when you're raising the price of something form $250 to $600 you darn well better promise some improvment!  

And all I can say is that the original $250 price tag for ZAO-1 was really too low given quality level and the effort put into producing these eyepieces, my guess is that something in the range of $450 would be the right price for these, and if that is a reasonable price then going from $450 to $600 in ten years time should not surprise anyone.

Vahe

#103 turtle86

turtle86

Mr. Coffee

Posted 02 February 2016 - 12:16 PM

all I can say is, when you're raising the price of something form $250 to $600 you darn well better promise some improvment!  

And all I can say is that the original $250 price tag for ZAO-1 was really too low given quality level and the effort put into producing these eyepieces, my guess is that something in the range of $450 would be the right price for these, and if that is a reasonable price then going from $450 to $600 in ten years time should not surprise anyone.

Vahe

Totally agree. I think the market now more fairly reflects the quality and scarcity of the ZAO I's.

I sure envy those who were able to buy the 25 and 35mm ZAO I's at the original price.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics