•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

anybody used a meade lx10 8" sct

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 braindontstop31

braindontstop31

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 February 2004 - 07:43 PM

I would like to know how it compares to a 6" achromatic refractor on planets detail (cloud belts etc.).

#2 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 11 February 2004 - 10:25 PM

Amazing isn't it? Apparently no one out there has ever used one. Try a different forum like Yahoo SCT-user or the ASTROMART forums.

And I'll take a guess that the 6" achromatic refractor would be a better planetary scope. (Maybe that will bring an LX10 owner out of the woodwork.)

Good luck.

#3 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 12 February 2004 - 12:22 AM

Amazing isn't it? Apparently no one out there has ever used one. Try a different forum like Yahoo SCT-user or the ASTROMART forums.

And I'll take a guess that the 6" achromatic refractor would be a better planetary scope. (Maybe that will bring an LX10 owner out of the woodwork.)

Good luck.

Like probably many of the readers of this forum, I've owned and used lots of 8" SCT's by both Meade and Celestron, although never an LX-10 mount5. I've even owned a couple of 6" F/8 achromats - but never compared them for planet performance as I prefer a long focal length reflector for those. Apparently few have tried that comparison.

At the same quality level, it'd be very close, with perhaps an edge to the refractor if something is done to handle the CA. I think the Meade & Celestron SCT's are a notch above the Chinese achromats in quality, though (both are domestic products) so I'd go for the SCT myself.

#4 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 17 February 2004 - 05:43 PM

FYI:

woodland hills has it on sale
lx10-8in for $789
Sounds like a great deal- even if you just want the OTA.

http://www.telescopes.net/

#5 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators

Posted 17 February 2004 - 06:12 PM

AN LX10 is a great scope.... They use all the same tubes on their LX series SCTs. Just make sure the optics are collimated.... I have not heard very good things about the Megellan 1 DSCs however.....

#6 lewdwig

lewdwig

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 26 March 2004 - 06:36 PM

How well do these LX10 mounts work? Are they stable? Durable?

#7 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 26 March 2004 - 08:46 PM

very rock solid mount, very tough, I love mine. got it at woodland hills.

#8 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 29 March 2004 - 09:54 PM

I bought an LX10 with UHTC from Astronomics for $799 a few months ago. I hear they have 1 left.

It's a nice low tech scope. Mount is stable enough... we have had some winds lately (20+ mph) and I've given up a few times because of the jitters but not once did the winds move the scope off target or concern me.

The otpics are good. Mine shipped with perfect collimation... now it's out and does it ever show. I need to spend the next clear night aligning it (any advice for a newbie anyone???).

Overall, it's a good scope. However, I am planning on getting a refractor for planetary eventually. It's just not the best scope for it although it should be sufficient for until I get a refractor.

Gotta replace the diagonal! The 1.25 prism that comes with it will only hold you over til your 2" comes in.

Watch out for that stupid finder also... they are known for having the lenses flipped and you can't bring it to focus that way. It's a cheap piece of friend anyway so your choices are to
1) replace it
2) unscrew the EP end, pull out the press fit plastic holding ring, dump out the lenses and reticle (be careful with that thin wire retical), flip the lens that is backwards (look on the web for how a refractor works and you'll see how the lens go), put it all back together.
3) call Meade and complain... they'll send you a new one free of charge.

I did #3, then once I had one that worked, I did #2. Now I have 2 that work. Then I spent $30 on a Telrad and don't use the finder at all anymore.

Only complaint I really have is the Dev clutch. It keeps needing tightened. I'm about to put a knobbed screw on it cuz I'm tired of taking a small allen wrench out in the dark.

That's about it... if you have any specific questions let me know.

#9 imbored20

imbored20

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 31 March 2004 - 04:22 PM

Watch out for that stupid finder also... they are known for having the lenses flipped and you can't bring it to focus that way.

I think my finder might have that problem. With the objective lens all the way tightened, the focus is at about 100 yards. Any looser and the focus comes closer.

Does anyone else have any info on this?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics