•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Dark Arts Observatory

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
191 replies to this topic

#176 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:15 PM

Been waiting for this one last piece of the observatory. A sign for the door! I designed this and sent it in to an online provider to get it laser-etched into a stainless steel plaque. Now it's an official observatory!

Posted Image

-Dan

#177 tim57064

tim57064

Surveyor 1

Posted 19 January 2014 - 03:23 PM

Very Nice Dan. :waytogo: What company did you use?

#178 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 January 2014 - 03:38 PM

Thanks, Tim. I used this website:
http://www.plaquemak...al_Plaques.html

Turned out to be a bit more expensive than I thought. The plaque is 8" x 2 1/2" in size, on 11 gauge stainless. Those notched corners cost an additional $15! :p I probably should have left those off. I did want it on relatively thin-gauge metal though because the outside of the POD is curved and the plaque would need to flex to match. Anyway, cost shipped was $69. Seems like a lot for what it is.

But, they do a good job. They can make one from your text specification with your selection from their font list, or you can provide your own artwork. If you provide artwork, then of course you can use whatever fonts, sizes, styles, etc. that you want and just include that as part of the "image". That's what I did.

-Dan

#179 Peter9

Peter9

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:16 PM

Thats a really nice looking name plate Dan. The cost matters not if you are pleased with the result.

I made my own. Total cost £3 ($5) I'm a poor man you see. :bawling: :grin:

Regards. Peter.

Attached Thumbnails

• 6324023-DreamMaker.jpg

#180 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:45 PM

That's an excellent sign, Peter! :bow: Did you make that? Whoever did has a lot more talent than I do! :grin:

-Dan

#181 Peter9

Peter9

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:16 PM

Shucks..I bet you say that to all the boys. :bigblush: :roflmao:

How are you liking your P.O.D Dan? I hope its meeting all your expectations. Have you tried out your Zenith table yet?

The weather continues to prevent any night-time observing here in the U.K (over a month now) so my P.O.D stands idol.
Hope things are better in your neck of the woods.

Regards. Peter.

#182 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:29 PM

We're in the winter doldrums over here too. In my neck of the woods, mid November through Mid February tends to be one big sea of clouds. We do get an occasional break which invariably lines up with a night that already has a social engagement scheduled, or when the winds are 40mph, or the temperature is below 0°F.

So, I've had nearly no use of it so far. There have been a couple of nights where I got an unexpected break for an hour or two and was able to take a peek. It still amazes me how easy it is now to take advantage of those short windows of opportunity! As for the PZT, the only time I've used it so far is to demo it to a friend.

But most of the time that I have available I've spent working on outfitting the observatory since there's no view of the sky. I've been wiring up the power and USB, hooking up surge protectors, installing an inverter so I can have a wee bit of AC power, installing AC outlets and PowerPole outlets for the 12V wiring, etc. And of course ... mounting the sign on the door! Lot's to do, but it's coming to an end now and I'm itching to actually use the thing! :p

-Dan

#183 ZR1

ZR1

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:06 PM

Very nice observatory. You have really customized it throughout. Makes me want to look into this.

#184 Peter9

Peter9

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:30 AM

Hi Dan,

Seems like we are suffering your "winter doldrums" over here too. I agree with you on the quick viewing option an observatory gives. My viewing time has increased greatly with "quickies" being a large part of it. ( could be letting myself in for it here) :grin:

I have been doing a bit of winter maintainance, it helps to pass the time. I've oiled all the rotation wheel along with the door hinge and the door lock. Also washed the dome and walls inside and out and swept and mopped the rubberised flooring.
The telescope didn't miss out either, tripod cleaned and oiled where appropriate along with the mount. Optics checked but no action was needed in that department. So I'm all ready to go come the clear skies.

Good luck with the rest of your preparation Dan and May your skies clear soon (an early Feb) :fingerscrossed:

Regards. Peter.

#185 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 26 January 2014 - 03:27 PM

One more post I had to add to this thread. People often ask me how my wife lets me get away with spending so much on my hobby. The answer is illustrated quite clearly in the photo below, as well as is the key to a happy marriage:

Posted Image

:grin:
-Dan

#186 JJK

JJK

Gemini

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:29 PM

One more post I had to add to this thread. People often ask me how my wife lets me get away with spending so much on my hobby. The answer is illustrated quite clearly in the photo below, as well as is the key to a happy marriage:

-Dan

That looks about right. For decades, my CFO got the exclusive use of the master bedroom closets. I hung my sparse clothes collection on the closet doorknobs (I am not kidding).

#187 Joe Bergeron

Joe Bergeron

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:00 PM

Considering the equipment they have to buy and maintain, and the setup time, $69 seems quite reasonable to me.

#188 highertheflyer

highertheflyer

Apollo

Posted 30 April 2015 - 03:51 PM

Hi Dan.

I've followed you SkyShedPod construction through the last few years and may I hope to put your techniques to use in the SkyShedPod I have stored all these years

Mine is a 5 bay as your's and nearly it's equal, but never assembled!

I'm hoping here in North Central Texas that as spring has fallen and my back is healing,  I will be able to do as you have and to make a really nice observatory to keep my wife happy, far away from the house.  This here in the country west of Fort Worth!

My hats off to you and congratulations on a job well done!

Regards,

Jim

#189 JJK

JJK

Gemini

Posted 01 May 2015 - 04:30 PM

HiandHerHobbies_zps34a52f51.jpg

-Dan

From my experience, you still seem too greedy. :grin:

#190 Starman27

Starman27

Cosmos

Posted 01 May 2015 - 04:37 PM

I don't know, it looks like a normal split to me.

#191 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 May 2015 - 06:30 PM

Hi Dan.

I've followed you SkyShedPod construction through the last few years and may I hope to put your techniques to use in the SkyShedPod I have stored all these years

Mine is a 5 bay as your's and nearly it's equal, but never assembled!

I'm hoping here in North Central Texas that as spring has fallen and my back is healing,  I will be able to do as you have and to make a really nice observatory to keep my wife happy, far away from the house.  This here in the country west of Fort Worth!

My hats off to you and congratulations on a job well done!

Regards,

Jim

Thanks, Jim!  Be sure and post some photos of your installation.  Looking forward to seeing it!

-Dan

#192 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 May 2015 - 06:32 PM

From my experience, you still seem too greedy. :grin:

:rofl:

-Dan

Edited by Midnight Dan, 01 May 2015 - 06:35 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics