•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Coping with dew when bringing scope inside

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 LittleDob

LittleDob

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 06 October 2005 - 08:23 AM

Had a great night of observing last night. Temperatures got down to just above freezing. Some dew formed on the correcter plate, but soon evaporated, allowing me to continue observing.

When I brought my scope inside, however, moisture began condensing everywhere, literally drenching my scope. Using a hair drier and towel, I dried most of the tube and forks, but the corrector remained covered in moisture. I dried the corrector with a hair drier before putting on the cover.

What is the best way to dry a scope before putting it away for the night?

Jason

#2 NorthCoast

NorthCoast

Vanguard

Posted 06 October 2005 - 08:34 AM

Right or wrong I cover my corrector prior to bringing indoors. This reduces the exposure to the warm, moist air. I also like to bring my scopes inot an area that is slightly warmer than the outside (e.g. garage, three season room, etc.) if possible to avoid the extreme condensation.

I also air the corector out once the telescope temperature has reached the air temperature, and, insure that everything still looks fine.

I have read a number of different things to deal with this situation. You approach may vary depending on the season also... frost is always interesting. :)

Later,
Mark

#3 Joel

Joel

Gemini

Posted 06 October 2005 - 09:51 AM

I bring mine into the garage (where it lives anyway) after viewing. I always let it sit for an hour before I cover it with the corrector caps and telegizmo cover to let the dew dry up. It's always dry after that, then I just close it up and go to bed. I think keeping it in the garage is good for keeping it closer to the outdoor temps anyway. It's always covered when in there plus I use it every week so it's not neglected. It's basically the same as leaving it in an outdoor observatory.

#4 matt

matt

Vendor (Scopemania)

Posted 06 October 2005 - 11:04 AM

I have a very old bed sheet and cover the scope with it. Quite effective at isolating the cold scope from the warm and humid air and at letting the scope warm up slowly.

#5 Carol L

Carol L

Cosmos

Posted 15 October 2005 - 04:26 PM

After removing my 8" LX-10 from its wedge, I put it into a large plastic bag [lawn/leaf size] and bring it directly into a humidified house and have never had any condensation form on the scope. Same thing goes for cameras, binoculars, my power cords and eyepiece case [smaller plastic bags, of course ;)].
As long as the bags are sealed, the house humidity can't condense on the objects.. just remember to open the bags in the morning so the equipment can breathe. :)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics