•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Edmund Scientific 4.25" WF Pre-Astroscan Serial #?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 Eric P

Eric P

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 06 October 2005 - 03:01 PM

Does anyone happen to know if the stick on label under the focuser shroud is a serial number or an inspection number?

Thanks

#2 Ken

Ken

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 14 October 2005 - 10:03 PM

Hi, Eric,

You are not being ignored, I'm not aware of a short focal length Edmund 4.25 prior to the Astroscan. I've been going through my seventies era catalogs and all I've found is the f10 model. Do you have a picture? I can say that my 6" did not have a serial number sticker on the tube.

#3 Eric P

Eric P

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 October 2005 - 09:40 AM

Thanks for the response Ken. I probably should have been more clear in that it is the Astroscan before it was dubbed Astroscan :D

It's an interesting little scope but there are definite design "flaws" that were worked out in later models.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 Ken

Ken

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 16 October 2005 - 07:38 PM

Yes, I know now what you meant, Edmund called it the 2001 if I recall.
My Chinese made Astroscan has a sticker with the serial number at the location you pointed out. If that has not changed, then you certainly do have an early production.

I remember looking at them at the store when they first came out. About a year later I bought my 6" there. My Spring '77 catalog with a 1976 copyright also just calls it the "No. 2001" But by 1979 Edmund was calling it the Astroscan.

Attached Thumbnails

• 645168-edm1979_1.jpg

#5 Eric P

Eric P

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 October 2005 - 02:46 PM

I remember looking at them at the store when they first came out.

I miss the Barrington store, that was my Disney World

#6 Ken

Ken

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 18 October 2005 - 12:14 PM

Mine too, I lived right across the river, and went down there every couple of months. I still remember the tv ads on UHF Ch 17 with Wee Willie Webber or something like that. They would advertise the store during the afternoon reuns of LIS, Or Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea etc... Ooops, sorry this has really drifted off topic..They would constantly advertise the "Black Light Room" and the periscope and a few years later the laser light show.

I spent hours drifting through the side warehouse where ther were just piles of surplus optics lying on card tables etc. to be picked up for what now would seem like chump change.

#7 blandp11

blandp11

Surveyor 1

Posted 18 October 2005 - 01:36 PM

They had a naming contest for it. I wish I could remember the name I submitted, I was so sure I was going to win - I also remember thinking how much better my name was than the winnning name. ;-)

My Spring '77 catalog with a 1976 copyright also just calls it the "No. 2001" But by 1979 Edmund was calling it the Astroscan.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics