•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First Time Out with My New 130GT!!!!!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Syzygy

Syzygy

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 08 February 2004 - 09:49 PM

Tonight was the night! I overcame BIG obstacles and STILL got some GREAT views! First off, I set up on my deck. My next door neighbor just happens to have a 500 gigawatt, "blind you like an arc welder" outside flood. I had to set up in the shadow of my house to even see what I was doing. The light pollution was so bad that I couldn't see Polaris, so I made an educated guess as to the location. I did the auto align and then set my sights on Orion and it's treasures.

The Orion Nebula was KILLER through my 32mm Plossl and REALLY opened up through a 6mm Plossl and a 2x Barlow. What a beautiful sight it is! :jump:

As a bonus, I decided to try my luck at Sigma Orionis. "Turn Left at Orion" says that the A/B star is hard to split. I had NO problem......it split sweetly- 5 stars in all!

The Pleiades were nice through my 32mm Plossl.

GREAT first night out! I'm hooked! :jump: :jump: :jump:

#2 Matthew E

Matthew E

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 09 February 2004 - 08:53 AM

Wow thats great, you must have little light pollution!! the only 'stars' i am able to see from my balconey right now are jupiter and saturn, oh and the moon :)

But congrats on the excellent finds!!!
my 32 plossl is turning out to be one of my fav EP. along with my 9mm plossl...did you purchase the celestron accessory kit?

#3 Dennis

Dennis

Apollo

• -----

Posted 09 February 2004 - 10:16 AM

Congradulations on your great views John! Glad the weather co-operated.
I've used a black cloth draped over my head and eyepiece (like the old style photographers did) to totally eliminate local light. Enjoy!

#4 Syzygy

Syzygy

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 10 February 2004 - 08:04 PM

Thanks, all. :) I went out again tonight with a bit more forethought. I draped blankets over the trellis of my deck and got rid of my neighbor's yard light problem. I actually managed to see Polaris and do a decent alignment. I'm still working out my chops with this scope and the learning curve is steep. So far:

I need a small red worklight over my accessory tray to help me when I fumble for EP's.

Eye patches are cool! I wear one and it definitely cuts down on the "squint strain".

I need a table!

I need to learn my stars better.

I need a better place to set up - AWAY from all the darn lights - and tall trees!

I DON'T particularly care for the Starfinder. It's a pain to get your eye set way at the bottom of the tube and try to get the red dot centered in view.

My scope appears to be well collimated and dialed in. I think I'll use the "Two Star alingnment" from now on. The auto align tried to go almost straight to zenith the first time I tried it tonight and the tube was not going to clear the tripod.

Matthew E,
Yes, I have the Celestron accessory kit. I've become fond of the 6mm Plossl, myself. I use the 32mm to get a target centered and then I'll bump up to the 6mm when I'm done smiling at THAT picture. :lol:

I'm hooked! :yay:

#5 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 20 February 2004 - 11:19 AM

great report, Syzygy~! my neighbor has a mercury vapor arc weldin blindin light ... the city says that they should have a shield if the light is flooding everywhere beyond their property, but no one uses shields and the city could care less.... i have constructed higher fencing to keep the light from blinding my eyes.... it works somewhat, but honestly, i believe in security lights, but not all night walmart parking light industrial strength which pours into five houses around you...
and thats my soapbox for the day~! :lol:
sky

#6 Syzygy

Syzygy

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 February 2004 - 05:54 PM

sky,
Thanks! My neighbor, WONDERFUL as she is, has agreed to kill her outside flood when I'm out peering the sky. :jump: I've also hung blankets on the trellis and that gives me a fairly decent "stay home" observing point. My report at the top of this thread was pure, unadulterated glee. I've calmed down a bit now. :lol:
I'm starting to survey dark sky locations and I found one right across the highway from me in a State Forest. It's dark to where you can't see your hand in front of you until you are dark adapted. Still some residual glow, but a far cry from my back deck. As soon as I get my cigarette lighter adaptor and a table, I'm off to the boonies, scope in hand!
As a BIG bonus, my girlfriend has developed an interest in my newly rediscovered hobby. Hmmmmmm........might come a time when we BOTH bring scopes out and swap EP's... :lol:

#7 Mike28

Mike28

Gemini

Posted 22 February 2004 - 10:08 AM

sky,
Hmmmmmm........might come a time when we BOTH bring scopes out and swap EP's... :lol:

Just hope she doesnt own a BINOVIEWER John! :lol:

#8 Syzygy

Syzygy

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 February 2004 - 02:04 PM

sky,
Hmmmmmm........might come a time when we BOTH bring scopes out and swap EP's... :lol:

Just hope she doesnt own a BINOVIEWER John! :lol:

If she gets into to the point of owning a good bino, I might just propose! :roflmao: :roflmao:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics